Students at Midd-West High School in Middleburg, Pa., are mourning the suicide of a freshman who ran in front of a truck at 3 a.m. Saturday morning, according to the Daily Item, a regional newspaper.
Brandon Bitner, 14, had been a victim of intense bullying students told the Item. He walked about 13 miles from his home to a busy road where he met his death. He’d left a suicide note at home.
“It was because of bullying,” Takara Jo Folk told the Item. “It was not about race or gender but they bullied him for his sexual preferences and the way he dressed. Which they wrongly accused him of.”
His death came just days after an anti-bullying assembly was held at the school. Student Briana Boyer said the students didn’t take the assembly seriously and joked about it.
- Jason Mraz opens up about his sexuality and ‘experiences with men’ by Mariah Cooper | posted on July 20, 2018
- National Airport restaurant accused of anti-gay bias by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on July 20, 2018
- QUEERY: Mark Hunker by Joey DiGuglielmo | posted on July 20, 2018
- The local left should embrace repeal of Initiative 77 by Mark Lee | posted on July 20, 2018
- Activists sharply criticize passage of Israel surrogacy bill by Michael K. Lavers | posted on July 20, 2018