Events are already underway for the 36th annual Capital Pride celebration which runs through June 12.
The big news, of course, is the parade and festival. The parade will run in its usual slot around 22nd and P and ending near Thomas Circle and start about 5:30 p.m. on June 11.
The festival is set for June 12 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in its usual spot near the U.S. Capitol at 701 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Destiny’s Child alum Kelly Rowland was slated to headline but had to back out. Jennifer Holliday (see page 38) will headline instead.
But that’s only the beginning — there are dozens of other events under the Pride umbrella.
A “Pride Ride” for cyclists is tonight from 6 to 9 p.m. in Crystal City, Va. Two kick-off parties are also scheduled — the women’s is on the rooftop of the Donovan House Hotel from 6 to 10 and is dubbed “Pink and Purple Sunset.” Tickets are $25. The men’s party runs from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. at Ziegfeld’s.
Trans Pride is Saturday at MCC. See page 6 for details. The Mr. and Ms. Capital Pride Pageant is Saturday night from 6 to 10 p.m. at Town.
- The annual interfaith service at Universalist National Memorial Church on Monday at 7:30 p.m. MCC’s Rev. Dwayne Johnson will speak.
- Coming out stories will be shared at “Don’t Ask, Do Tell” at Woolly Mammoth on Tuesday at 8 p.m.
- The Pride Heroes Gala and Silent Auction is from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday at House of Sweden. Tickets are $50 if purchased by today; $75 at the door.
- The Pride Idol finals are Wednesday at 10:30 p.m. at Cobalt.
- Latino Pride is June 10 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Town.
- “Desk Set” with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy will be shown at Hillwood on June 10 at 8:30 p.m.
Go here for full schedule and details.