Hundreds of activists, including a sizable LGBT contingent, marched through the streets of D.C. for “SlutWalk” on Saturday to protest victim blaming in sexual assault cases. The march began at Lafayette Square and ended in a rally in the shadow of the Washington Monument. Speakers at the rally included Andrea Bredbeck of Join the Conversation, Holly Kearl of Stop Street Harassment, Dr. Salamishah Tillet of A Long Walk Home, Inc., Carmen Rios of (con)sensual, Lauren Taylor of Defend Yourself, Sasha Ponappa of Deaf Abused Women’s Network, radio personality Aiyi’nah Ford, Janelle Mungo of GetEqual D.C., Stacey Lantz of D.C. National Organization for Women, Meredith Zoltick of Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive (HIPS), Maryland Delegate Ariana Kelly, author Janine Latus and comedienne Luce Tomlin-Brenner.
(Washington Blade photos by Pete Exis)
- Sessions invokes hate crimes law to review trans murders by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on October 17, 2017
- ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ says goodbye to Ben Platt in disco dance video by Mariah Cooper | posted on October 17, 2017
- Cher joins ‘Mamma Mia’ sequel by Mariah Cooper | posted on October 17, 2017
- Melissa Etheridge arrested for marijuana possession at Canadian border by Mariah Cooper | posted on October 17, 2017
- Trump lauds anti-LGBT think-tank as ‘titan’ in fight for America by Chris Johnson | posted on October 17, 2017