Hundreds of activists, including a sizable LGBT contingent, marched through the streets of D.C. for “SlutWalk” on Saturday to protest victim blaming in sexual assault cases. The march began at Lafayette Square and ended in a rally in the shadow of the Washington Monument. Speakers at the rally included Andrea Bredbeck of Join the Conversation, Holly Kearl of Stop Street Harassment, Dr. Salamishah Tillet of A Long Walk Home, Inc., Carmen Rios of (con)sensual, Lauren Taylor of Defend Yourself, Sasha Ponappa of Deaf Abused Women’s Network, radio personality Aiyi’nah Ford, Janelle Mungo of GetEqual D.C., Stacey Lantz of D.C. National Organization for Women, Meredith Zoltick of Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive (HIPS), Maryland Delegate Ariana Kelly, author Janine Latus and comedienne Luce Tomlin-Brenner.
(Washington Blade photos by Pete Exis)
- Nikki Haley complains about being booed at NYC Pride by Chris Johnson | posted on June 26, 2017
- Supreme Court rules for lesbian parents in Ark. birth certificate case by Chris Johnson | posted on June 26, 2017
- Supreme Court agrees to hear gay wedding cake refusal case by Chris Johnson | posted on June 26, 2017
- Rep. DelBene calls for ‘LGBT Equality Day’ on House floor by Chris Johnson | posted on June 26, 2017
- Leading the struggle for LGBT rights in Mozambique by Marvin Bowser | posted on June 26, 2017