Hundreds of activists, including a sizable LGBT contingent, marched through the streets of D.C. for “SlutWalk” on Saturday to protest victim blaming in sexual assault cases. The march began at Lafayette Square and ended in a rally in the shadow of the Washington Monument. Speakers at the rally included Andrea Bredbeck of Join the Conversation, Holly Kearl of Stop Street Harassment, Dr. Salamishah Tillet of A Long Walk Home, Inc., Carmen Rios of (con)sensual, Lauren Taylor of Defend Yourself, Sasha Ponappa of Deaf Abused Women’s Network, radio personality Aiyi’nah Ford, Janelle Mungo of GetEqual D.C., Stacey Lantz of D.C. National Organization for Women, Meredith Zoltick of Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive (HIPS), Maryland Delegate Ariana Kelly, author Janine Latus and comedienne Luce Tomlin-Brenner.
(Washington Blade photos by Pete Exis)
- ABC cancels ‘The Chew’ after seven seasons by Mariah Cooper | posted on May 24, 2018
- ‘Supergirl’ introducing trans character in season four by Mariah Cooper | posted on May 24, 2018
- Clay Aiken joins Amazon series ‘New Dogs, Old Tricks’ by Mariah Cooper | posted on May 24, 2018
- D.C. Black Pride runs all weekend through Memorial Day by Joey DiGuglielmo | posted on May 24, 2018
- Victory Fund makes latest Md. endorsements by Michael K. Lavers | posted on May 24, 2018