Happy May Day one and all. And congratulations to Sharon Needles who won RuPaul’s Drag Race last night. Now for the rest of us aspiring Queens of the dance floor, here’s the news:
- It seems whenever some side in a campaign begins to get desperate, somebody on that side (who apparently never watched the news before) fakes a crime in an effort to win sympathy for their side. Backers of North Carolina’s anti-gay Amendment One were in full-bore rage mode on the web yesterday over a claim that an elderly woman had been savagely beaten and hospitalized over her pro Amendment One yard sign, and that a suspect was in custody. Only, police had no record of any such incident, according to JoeMyGod. There was a woman hit by a car door being slammed by someone else, but it wasn’t at her house, and it may have nothing to do with Amendment One, and she declined to file a police report, so we may never know. There were no arrests and no hospitalizations. The Protect Marriage group issued a correction later.
- Simon Doonan’s book isn’t exactly big boy friendly, as the bear-appreciating-gents at OutRageDC note.
- Think Progress reports that conservatives in the U.K. are pushing Prime Minister Cameron to abandon his push for same-sex marriage.
- That Cleveland DJ that recommended corrective rape for to a man who suspected his daughter of being a lesbian has apologized, and the station says its taken action to discipline him, though won’t be specific about what, says Towleroad.
- And, remember Tennessee’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill? Think Progress reports its dead. I hope Missouri is watching right now.
Finally, after this man — who filmed himself firing at a neighbor’s “No on Amendment One” yard sign, in an apparent act of intimidation — pulled the video from the web, readers at JoeMyGod were ready with backup versions of the video to get right back up there.