“Despite many civil rights advances, today’s LGBT youth are still members of the only minority group ‘born into an enemy camp,’ subject to family and community disapproval and animus rather than loving support,” said Jack Dreshcer, MD of the American Psychiatric Association and New York Medical College. “The HRC survey’s findings present significant challenged to families, educators, clergy, mental health professionals, policy makers and government officials concerned about the well-being of LGBT youth.”
The survey also found that despite the fact that 90 percent of respondents are out to close friends, 42 percent say the community they live in is not LGBT friendly.
- Cardin introduces ‘lavender scare’ bill by Michael K. Lavers | posted on June 22, 2017
- 5th Circuit rules for Mississippi anti-LGBT ‘religious freedom’ law by Chris Johnson | posted on June 22, 2017
- Mom and Dad’s first Pride by Brock Thompson | posted on June 22, 2017
- HHS nixes plan to eliminate LGBT questions from elder survey by Chris Johnson | posted on June 22, 2017
- ‘Glee’ star Charice Pempengco changes name to Jake Zyrus by Mariah Cooper | posted on June 22, 2017