“Despite many civil rights advances, today’s LGBT youth are still members of the only minority group ‘born into an enemy camp,’ subject to family and community disapproval and animus rather than loving support,” said Jack Dreshcer, MD of the American Psychiatric Association and New York Medical College. “The HRC survey’s findings present significant challenged to families, educators, clergy, mental health professionals, policy makers and government officials concerned about the well-being of LGBT youth.”
The survey also found that despite the fact that 90 percent of respondents are out to close friends, 42 percent say the community they live in is not LGBT friendly.
- Jefferson Airplane’s Grace Slick takes Chick-Fil-A money to support LGBTs by Mariah Cooper | posted on February 22, 2017
- Trump to rescind transgender student protections by Chris Johnson | posted on February 22, 2017
- HRC prefers ‘Lion’ over ‘Moonlight’ for Best Picture? by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on February 22, 2017
- ‘When We Rise’ chronicles gay history by Keith Loria | posted on February 22, 2017
- Nyle DiMarco teaches Trump-isms in ASL by Mariah Cooper | posted on February 22, 2017