LOS ANGELES—The gay son of former Los Angeles Lakers player and philanthropist Magic Johnson told an online talk show on April 16 he remains “very blessed to have the family” he does.
“When it was time to come out, I was, obviously, scared as most people are,” E.J. Johnson told “Gwissues,” according to the Associated Press. “After I got all the love and support from my family then I knew I could go out and conquer the world, I guess.”
TMZ earlier this month broadcast a video of the younger Johnson walking with his boyfriend on the Sunset Strip.
Magic Johnson told the entertainment website his wife Cookie and he “love E.J. and support him in every way.”
Johnson revealed in 1991 that he was HIV positive, changing the face of the disease in the public eye.
Michael K. Lavers has been a staff writer for the Washington Blade since May 2012. The passage of Maryland's same-sex marriage law, the HIV/AIDS epidemic, the burgeoning LGBT rights movement in Latin America and the consecration of gay New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson are among the many stories he has covered since his career began in 2002. Follow Michael
- Lady Gaga banned from China after meeting Dalai Lama by Mariah Cooper | posted on June 28, 2016
- Gay man charged with threatening U.S. senators by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on June 28, 2016
- New Maryland LGBT foundation debuts by Steve Charing | posted on June 28, 2016
- Court issues limited ruling against Miss. ‘religious freedom’ law by Chris Johnson | posted on June 27, 2016
- Sean Hayes regrets not coming out during ‘Will & Grace’ by Mariah Cooper | posted on June 27, 2016