Courtesy Merrifield Garden Center
The arrival of fall means it’s time to get to work in your yard and garden to prepare grass and plants for the cooler weather. Below are 10 tips for a beautiful fall yard.
1. Replace faded summer annuals with chrysanthemums, asters, pansies and other gorgeous fall flowers.
2. Pick up spring flowering bulbs now for the best selection and plant any time before Christmas.
3. Bring houseplants back inside before cold weather arrives. Be sure to check for insects and spray if necessary.
4. As the weather cools, begin watering established trees and shrubs less often, but check the soil for moisture at least once a week. If the soil is dry, give your plants a thorough watering. Continue this practice until the ground freezes.
5. Be the proud owner of the greenest lawn in the neighborhood with Merrifield’s custom grass seed, Merrifield Tuff Play, Merrifield Sunny or Merrifield Shady, and fertilizer, Merrifield Select or Merrifield Premium.
6. Divide and transplant bearded iris, peonies, daylilies and other spring and summer flowering perennials.
7. Prune when leaves have fallen off deciduous trees and shrubs. That way you can clearly see where branches cross or rub and which branches are crowding out neighboring branches.
8. Fall is one of the best times of the year to fertilize trees and shrubs after the leaves have dropped. In mid-October through mid-December, fertilize evergreens and deciduous trees with Merrifield Tree and Shrub Food, and flowering trees and shrubs with Merrifield Flowering Plant Food.
9. Build a thick and healthy lawn through seeding, fertilizing, applying lime and controlling weeds.
10. Empty and cover your fountains before the onset of freezing weather.
For more information and ideas for a beautiful fall garden, see the experts at Merrifield Garden Center. We have the creativity, knowledge and experience to answer all your gardening questions.