NEW YORK—An aspiring playwright died on Jan. 5 from injuries he suffered during a fire in his Manhattan high-rise building.
The New York Times reported Daniel McClung, 27, succumbed to smoke inhalation after he and his husband, Michael Cohen, 32, sought refuge in a smoky stairwell in the Hell’s Kitchen high-rise. The New York Daily News on Jan. 6 reported Cohen suffered critical injuries.
The couple married last year in Massachusetts.
“This was a legally married couple living a new life together,” Marriage Equality USA Executive Director Brian Silva told the New York Times.
The Daily News and other New York media outlets reported an overloaded power strip in a 20th floor apartment sparked the blaze.