Local

Lesbian couple ejected from Ravens game

Told to ‘stop making a scene’ after kissing

Mary Kate Morris and Nicole Marchetto were removed from a Sept. 26 Ravens game and are considering legal action. (Photo courtesy of the couple)

With the Baltimore Ravens clinging to a 14-10 halftime lead against the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 26, Mary Kate Morris and Nicole Marchetto decided to hit the concession stand behind Section 538 of M&T Bank Stadium. Little did they know they would not get to see the second half of the game.

The Baltimore couple saw a long line at the restroom and decided to buy beer and fries until the line diminished. They spotted a plastic cup on the counter and used it to pour ketchup for the fries.

While waiting for their orders, the couple engaged in what Marchetto characterized as “casual kissing.” Almost immediately, she said, a security guard and a supervisor told the women to “stop making a scene.” They were warned three times but continued because, according to Marchetto, “the kissing was heartfelt and decent in the real sense and was not any different from what numerous law-abiding straight couples were doing all around us.”

Soon afterwards, the security guard demanded to see their driver’s licenses, and then the women were told to leave the stadium immediately. When they asked why they had to leave, the guard accused them of first stealing the cup from the concession stand and then accused them of stealing the beer. A Baltimore police officer intervened and told the guards the couple did not steal the beer. The couple has receipts for all the purchases.

Nonetheless, they were forced out of the stadium by three police officers. As they left, Marchetto said she told the officer, “I am a paying customer and a law-abiding citizen.”

Morris and Marchetto contend their ejection resulted from the kissing and nothing else.

“Straight couples were kissing all around us,” said Morris, who added that no one complained about their displays of affection. “As a matter of fact, some fans were not only approving but cheered us,” she said.

After checking with security personnel, Jan Hardesty, a media spokesperson for the Maryland Stadium Authority, said the ejection was a result of  “unauthorized removal of inventory,” referring to the plastic cup. According to Hardesty, an employee of Aramark, the company that operates the concession stands, witnessed the removal of the cup to pour ketchup. Each item must be accounted for, Hardesty said.

Patrick Gleason, public relations manager for the Baltimore Ravens, said he raised the incident with the Ravens’ senior vice president of public and community relations, Kevin Byrne, and vice president of stadium operations Roy Sommerhof.

The official response from Byrne: “We’re aware of the incident, and we’re satisfied with the action taken by the concessionaire, security and police.”

Gleason added, “Many of our game day concession stands are run by volunteer groups to raise money for their charities. Accounting for drinks sold is computed by the number of cups used. If cups are taken or missing once the game ends, then the respective volunteer group is responsible for reimbursement.”

But Morris and Marchetto insist the motive for their eviction was their public display of affection. The couple is considering legal action.

1. Stevemd2

October 8, 2010 at 4:38 am

These teams pay players tens of millions of $$$. They can pay the women also. Sue them till they hurt really really bad

and time for a major kiss in. Right by the ticket window. it will drive away so many homophobes who will be cumming in their pants.

• cnd

October 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I am all for gay rights but it sounds like they were causing a distraction. “As a matter of fact, some fans were not only approving but cheered us,” If they were not then this is wrong….there might be more to the story than what is above.

• miascribe

October 9, 2010 at 3:57 am

They were making NO More of a scene than I am subjected to by straights all over the place with their unwanted PDAs. Enough of your issues.

2. Sugar Coleman-Hall

October 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

It is Alway’s two rule’s 1.They can (straight people) 2.We CAN NOT (Gay’s) that;s the way it is, All Gay people should take a month off from going to game’s and church’s. This would indeed be a major impact on the game’s and church’s and other place’s that are so rude and disrespectful to us.

3. Justin Belsley

October 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Please sue or stage a kiss in protest. This type of discrimination has got to stop, but I’m afraid it’s going to be a long process. Love and best of luck!–Justin

4. Sig

October 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Thou shall not steal.

• Frankie James

October 8, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Steal what? Did you read the article?

KISS IN !

• Jenn

October 8, 2010 at 8:26 pm

“‘You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.’ ”

Yeah. They really stole those beers, didn’t they? The receipts were a lie. Just like the cake. And this whole mess.

• nobody

October 9, 2010 at 12:06 am

For shit’s sake, it’s a cup! You could steal an actual hotdog and they wouldn’t throw you out, just scold you and make you pay, but not actually throw you out, and to do that for a fuckin cup?! That’s just ridiculous. I mean really, who do they think they’re effin kidding? They know that if someone wanted to steal a cup, they would do so discreetly, but they did it blatantly and outright, meaning that they obviously didn’t know that a cup had such importance. Usually in cases like that, most people would just correct what they were doing and make them pay for the cup, but they didn’t. ALSO, if the people did see them taking a cup, then why didn’t they do anything, like STOP THEM, instead they chose to stop them when they were kissing!! So, obviously it can’t be the cup

• SheaSF

October 11, 2010 at 3:40 am

The women bought two overpriced beers, and grabbed an extra disposable plastic cup (something that, if accidentally dropped on the floor, would be tossed by any concession worker).

Then, the women were asked to stop ‘making a scene’ because a security guard had a negative gut reaction to two women displaying affection toward each other. That’s homophobia. When he or she asked the women to stop doing something straight couples do all the time, of course they continued out of protest. The ‘stolen’ cup could have been resolved by simply requiring the couple to pay for another beer (if the 5 cent cup truly represents some inventory count). However, the women were expelled because a security guard’s hate-motivated, extraordinary order was rightly ignored.

Let’s say the women weren’t ejected for kissing. The charge of stealing beer was false. The charge of stealing a 5 cent plastic cup was a misunderstanding, at most. Certainly resolvable. If you or a member of your family were escorted from a ball park for grabbing a extra disposable container along with two $10 beers and an $8 order of fries, would you see this as justified? Of course not.

• Ashley Buchanan

January 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Hahahaha! Perfect! I’ll pay for that cup then.

5. cnd

October 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm

• danielle

October 10, 2010 at 11:32 pm

distraction from what? too much consumption of too expensive beer and less profit for the concessionaires? the ravens need to make concessions in their policy and actions

• equal

October 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm

The distraction was caused by the guards who told them to stop doing what the straight people were also doing. Kissing or expressions of affection are not the problem. Prejudice is the problem.

6. D

October 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm

thou shall not be a d-bag

• ananama

October 13, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Are you the same idiot saying Thou Shalt not steal? Great disguise there! HA

7. Yuki

October 8, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I’m inclined to believe the couple on this one; under no circumstances would someone be expelled from a stadium from taking a plastic cup that they saw on an empty countertop. If the concession stand didn’t want people to use the cups, they need to keep them behind the stand like /every other stand in America/.

• TatBrat

October 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I am with you on this Yuki! Since when do concession stand have plastic cups within reach of customers. Not only that but needing to account or not those plastic cups purchased in the quantity used by the stadiums cost pennies because of the quantity purchased. For a average concession (small bussiness) on Google just one place I checked; basic plastic cups 10oz., 1000 cups for $52.00 which is less than 5 cents per cup. purchasing a few thousand at a time is probably less than that. I would say the Raven franchise is overcharging their vendors for the supplies. BUT let us not get too far off subject; it is a homophobia problem not a stolen plastic cup. All of those hetrosexual couples with their tongues down each others throat didn’t get thrown out at the same time and how many of them also took something they shouldn’t have; an extra cup an extra fork or how about the pocket pickers that were in that crowd? No instead of watching for the real criminals who are in a stadium picking pockets, stealing purses…etc…they zero in on a couple grabbing a plastic cup that was sitting out in the open??? I would guess it was more like the mall-cop thought the girls were hot; saw them kissing and got freaked because the mall-cop probably wanted to make a move on one of them.

8. johnny b good

October 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I know, they think that they can just take a beer cup from the stand and not pay for it. Anybody that wants one can take one, right? Beer cups are free… The rules don’t apply to them.

Give my a break and then to blame their sexual orientation for being kicked out instead of the real reason is really low down. All self respecting gays and lesbians ought to shame them, they certainly are not representatives of the cause.

• rev

October 9, 2010 at 12:13 am

If this is about a little beer cup, then why did the security guards first ask them to stop kissing three times?

After that they ask for I.D..

Then they ask them to leave.

Only after the couple is uncooperative to their ridiculous complaint does the whole “cup conspiracy” even get mentioned. If they weren’t supposed to take it, why weren’t they told at the time instead of after being asked to stop kissing several times and to leave the stadium?

This will result in a lawsuit and the couple should win, no problem. I’m heterosexual but there is no way I will ever step foot into that stadium, just on principle.

If you really hate lesbians so much, just say so. Let it out. It’s not your fault…

• wearbear

October 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

um seriously the cup thing was a bs reason for the homophobic security guys to boot them.

• harold

October 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

you are so right, johnny. we should also chop their hands off for taking the cup.

• matty b mad

October 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Oh, please. Go f*ck yourself.

• matty b mad

October 9, 2010 at 4:22 pm

(That comment was for “johnny b good”)

• danielle

October 10, 2010 at 11:35 pm

maqybe they didn’t know it wasn’t free. were they given a choice between paying for the cup or being thrown out of the stadium?

9. Amazed

October 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Sugar Coleman-Hall: Do yo’u hav’e any clu’e as to ho’w to us’e an apo’stoph’e? Yo’u shoul’d not be allowe’d to us’e the Englis’h languag’e.

• Rcballa12

October 11, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Thank you! And I thought that I was the only one out there…

10. Steven Quezada

October 8, 2010 at 7:14 pm

The one on the Right is hot!!! Post pics of them kissing!!!!!! XOXOXOX

11. Ali

October 8, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Obviously these two women are just starved for attention. As a PSL owner at M&T Bank Stadium I can tell you that they were wrong and their story is just to stir you up and get publicity. They should be ashamed. First of all they stole a cup. All cups at the stadium are behind the counters and not easily accesible, though you could climb onto the counter to reach over and get one if you were determined enough. I guess you all missed the part about the volunteers needing to be accountable for the inventory. These ladies admit they took the cup. The best part is that they took the cup to put ketchup in for their fries. There are no condiments in any of these concession lines. The condiments are towards the back of the stadium halls. They were intentionally trying to make a scene and get publicity and it has worked. I am disappointed that the readers are not taking a stand on much more important matters. Obviously if the Ravens are backing the vendors then these two ladies did something they weren’t supposed to.

• rev

October 9, 2010 at 12:15 am

You should actually read the story before commenting. 90% of what you said was fabricated. Goodness, quite an imagination you have…

• bearchewtoy75

October 9, 2010 at 3:18 pm

GET REAL!

Do you honestly think that stealing a cup warrants for a police escort by THREE police officers? Do you honestly think that they spent money on tickets and over-priced concessions to make a political statement?

• Yuki

October 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm

According to other accounts, they even offered to pay for the cup when they were told they needed to all be accounted for.

12. keepitinthebedroom

October 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm

how casual was this kiss? Onlookers were cheering because they were prob. making a scene. Honestly, I dont want to see strait or gay people in public kissing to the point were it draws attention. pecks are fine,hell hold hands…….just dont try to be attention whores in a public area like a football game.

• HamChuckles

October 10, 2010 at 4:09 am

Well, as some pointed out one of them is hot, and the other one definitely not ugly. Keep in mind that during half time, many people are already slightly inebriated. Add to the fact football games are rowdy and people seeking a fun time… Cheering is really not all that uncommon. I’ve seen people cheer at someone with a well designed costume, or even a clearly worded slogan on cardboard. So, completely normal for people to cheer two good looking women kissing. Most probably don’t know they were lesbians – and who cares if they are?

• blahblah

January 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

yeh, but that doesn’t mean you deserve to be kicked out of effing game. If a straight couple did it, yeh some would be comfortable but no one would be kicking their asses out.

13. super anhero

October 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm

That’s pretty fucking gay…

• Jim

October 9, 2010 at 1:01 am

Straight as a pin here and I agree with the ladies on this one. A plastic cup? Give me a break| The fact that they were being cheered on speaks more to the mindset of those doing the cheering than those doing the kissing. Sounds like the typical half cut morons that make lewd remarks and gestures at women every time they have a few drinks. The policeman was right when he stated they did not steal the cup but if he does not escort them out there is a possibility that his free admission into the football game under the guise of security might not come his way again. Sue em!

14. Kaven

October 8, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Scene making is distasteful and rude to all. No cup or kissing, no problem. I go to every game and have never seen hetero or homosexual kissing at halftime. Ridiculous.

• harold

October 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm

It’s only a scene for childish losers.

• suebabysue!!!

October 9, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Ravens Linebacker, Ray Lewis made a scene when he was involved in a MURDER. What say yea about that?

15. Tony

October 9, 2010 at 12:40 am

The Ravens think they are god. My son and I tried to walk in with a hard foam #1 finger and were stopped. “You can’t bring that in”. I asked why and was told “BECAUSE I SAID SO’ When I asked for further explanation why, a security supervisor came up . Before I could even begin to explain my case he told me to get out of his face. He refused to even let me state my side of the story. We went to the Ravens ticket office to ask them and when we were returning, this “supervisor” started following me and was telling me to come with him. At this point I was just trying to leave the finger with someone to put in their car (we took light rail). I asked him to leave us alone and he kept following us. I told him he was harassing us and he said he would harass me if he wanted to.. It seems that they want to antagonize fans and threaten them with taking their PSL’s away so that they can re-sell them at a higher price. I wrote to the Ravens and the response was “we will address it Moving forward you can;t bring the finger in”. Any time you question their authority they threaten you. I have no doubt that this is what these ladies did. They asked for clarification and right away here comes security.

• BJ

October 11, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Come on, have you given any thought as to how many obnoxious fans not to mentioned under the influence fans they deal with and just because you think it is OK don’t make it so. What if one of these obnoxious fans under the influence gets mad because you keep waving this large finger around and they can’t see, then you have a potentially bad situation! And I personally think it is gross to see two women or two men kissing or fondling each other!!!!!!!!

• Jim

October 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Why would he have to explain anything.. he said no… period..

16. Soe

October 9, 2010 at 1:01 am

I am not against gay or anything… But see them kissing on public place is disgusting.. Many times I felt like throwing up…

• wearbear

October 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’m sure I’d toss my cookies if I saw you kissing whatever it is that you kiss too.

• bearchewtoy75

October 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm

You obviously are homophobic because people who are NOT homophobic don’t feel like throwing up because they saw two women kissing.

• harold

October 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I agree with you Soe. We should outlaw kissing in public. People should be fined for that kind of thing.

• Nate

October 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Yeah. Sometimes when I see fat people or ugly people I feel like throwing up too.

I’m not against fat people or ugly people, but just seeing them in public is disgusting. They should just stay home.

• michelle

October 14, 2010 at 8:10 pm

well, i’m not against straights or anything, but seeing you fat straight f*cks kissing isn’t a real pleasure either. so shtfup

• Matt Petrus

October 14, 2010 at 11:24 pm

That is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard. What gives you people the right to kiss in front of me and not you. This is case in point of just how stupid and backwards Baltimorans are. Since I’ve moved here, I have found so much racism and homophobia and ignorance that it has amazed me tremendously. It’s safe to say that Baltimore is a true southern city because of how backwards it is. You are backwards and ignorant. You fity right in with your people.

17. Cynthia Pilcher

October 9, 2010 at 6:51 am

Seriously people? Over a freaking plastic cup? You know it was over the kiss..because everytime a gay or lesbian couple kiss in public, things get twisted and they blame something stupid like a plastic cup. If they were concerned about the cup..they could have just asked the couple to pay for it and left it at that and Im sure the ladies would have. Give me a break..just another way to push the LGBT community out. Ladies…sue the crap out of them!

• Bria

October 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm

My thoughts exactly. Couldn’t have said it better myself. When has a straight couple ever been kicked out of a game for “stealing” a plastic cup. This is really ridiculous. The situation could have easily been resolved by just asking them to pay for the cup. I say drain “em dry for every last cent!!!

• MDL7

October 14, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Yes – seriously – the cups are accounted for. That is how they know you are straight with your drawer. The beers and sodas are from taps. They count beer sales and soda sales totals from the number of cups. Try asking them to put a soda in a cup intended for beer. See where that gets you. Those cups are their money – it wasn’t the kiss that started it. They were messing with the concession company’s money. Bottom line.

18. Francisco Velazquez

October 9, 2010 at 9:21 am

Sue then, use the civil rights act.

19. suebabysue!!!

October 9, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Ray Lewis of the Bmore Ravens was involved in a MURDER case, yet he is still playing and making millions! What’s worse, a innocent kiss or MURDER? People get a damn grip on life and stop the nonsense. Those MALE d–ks were mad b/c 2 attractive women didn’t want them! SUE BABY SUE!!!

• Jenn

October 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Almost all of our NFL football players are illiterate hoods that think because their millionaires they can do anything.

• Ray Lewis

October 14, 2010 at 4:41 pm

no matter if you like Ray Lewis or not, it went to trail and he served the sentence handed to him. That’s how the justice system is set up and if these two ladies were wronged, then they can sue. As disgusting as it is to be involved with a murder, he was found guilty of lying in the case, is he not now allowed to make a living? One has nothing to do with the other.

20. Tony

October 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Though I did not witness it this happened at the concession stand near my section. I hope I see Mary Kate and Nicole on Sunday so I can wish them well.

21. viralviralpictures.com

October 10, 2010 at 7:08 am

This has to be the dumbest actions by the security and the Ravens. Now LGBT know they are not wanted by the Maryland Ravens. Fuck you Baltimore.

22. Remo

October 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’ve been a season ticket holder for 10 years and I’ve never seen people making out on the concourse during half time or even on the parking lot, tailgating. I’ve seen them holding hands, hugging, and sometimes closed mouth peck kisses, (as you would a child). These are proper forms of affections, displayed in public. Other forms should be saved for the privacy of your home. There are children in the stadium but no one cares about what they see or hear. These two ladies (in my opinion) just wanted to flunt their sexuality in front of everyone, as exhibitionist. And as usual, other gay people, always jump to their defense, just because they are in the same boat. Everyone is not out to condemn gay rights. I don’t believe in it, but I treat gay people as equals and with respect. I am straight and go to every game with my girlfriend, who I can’t keep my hands off. But out of respect for the public, I control myself and respect her (until we are home or not in the public eye). I for one, would not have applauded or would have found them amusing. Now you want to have a kiss-in, at the concession stands and disturb other paying guess, who didn’t come to a game and be effected with your mess. (Yes… this is how you want the straight people to jump on your cause) I would only feel more resentful, to you, if I can’t get my refreshments) Oh….. yes, don’t go to Church for a month. That would really teach the world. I thought going to Church was for your own personal salvation. (Someone is really thinking, in behalf of the gay world) My comments are not to offend. It’s for these idiots that made the above comments. I am an African American. I’m tired of everytime an African American do something he or she should not have done and gets caught and punished, they always say, it’s because they are Black. (NO….. it’s because you broke the law!!!!!!!!) STOP using our Heritage as an excuse as this couple is using their Sexuality as an excuse.

• Donna

October 11, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I believe that do your personal business at home. I have seen men and women, guy and straight kissing in different places and I think it’s rude across the board. If you love your girl, man, that’s a good thing, but have respect for others, or do other don’t matter to you? I really don’t want to see guy women or men kissing at football games or any where else for that matter. Hey, I don’t even want to see straight men or women kissing in public. All of that needs to be in your private home. If I had been there and with my children I would have asked them to have respect for my children not a lone me and others.

23. LeighAnne

October 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

They were customers of the concessionairre! They took an empty cup! And when they were told that the cup wasn’t free (i.e. accused of stealing the cup), they offered to pay for it!

Oh. And they kissed.

I obviously don’t know enough about Aramark’s internal inventory controls — and who knows what other pitfalls await? — to safely navigate a trip to a Ravens home game without risking arrest.

24. urconscience

October 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Inappropriate in a public venue. I know a lot syupid things happen at NFL games. Some folks blame it on drunkeness. I don’t care if your drunk, gay or straight. With children being around and public, it is not right. Take it to the bar or the bedroom.

• danielle

October 10, 2010 at 11:36 pm

then tell the straights to stop or kick them out, too!

• danielle

October 10, 2010 at 11:39 pm

discrimination is wrong. or do the opposite-sex couples spend too much money to get kicked out?

• Jenn

October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

No, we just out-number you.

• D

October 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Well aren’t you just the most petty and effed up hetero breeder byoootch.

25. danielle

October 10, 2010 at 11:41 pm

post a sign saying” no kissing allowed on stadium property. violators will be told to leave.”

26. danielle

October 10, 2010 at 11:42 pm

moderation of what?

27. Steve

October 11, 2010 at 12:26 am

For the record and to clarify, none of the quotes in the article were given to the Washington Blade. The original article, including the reporting and writing, was done by Baltimore OUTloud (www.baltimoreoutloud.com) and published in the paper’s October 8 issue.

As a media partner of the Washington Blade, Baltimore OUTloud shared the story for publication in the Blade. Therefore, no individuals mentioned in the article talked directly with anyone representing the Blade.

Unfortunately, credit was not appropriately given to Baltimore OUTloud in the online version of the story; however, it was indicated in the print edition.

28. Josh

October 11, 2010 at 7:40 am

Wait. The old fat guy dancing in the aisle wearing only a cheesehead hat isn’t “making a scene”, but the two attractive women kissing are? Look. Speaking as a married straight guy, who’s kind of a pig, and kind of a football fan…can we see more attractive women kissing at football games, and less idiots in war paint wearing punch bowls on their heads?

Uhhh lemme put on my “adult” hat for a minute. They’re owed a very serious apology, and a refund for tickets.

But I could say that about anyone who goes to a Ravens game.

29. Steve

October 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I will wait for the movie to come out, most likely only 1 side of this story is being told here.

• Steve

October 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Perhaps if you read the article and not wait for the movie you will see that both sides of the story were very ably presented. We heard from the women who were ejected and officials from the Ravens as well as representatives of the Maryland Stadium Authority who confirmed the incident and explained their side.

30. jo jo dancer

October 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm

That’s the problem. Gays need to stop trying to make people accept who they are and stop confusing kids. I don’t care what you do but keep it at home. There are some people who are trying to raise their kids the right way. Its wrong and should not be publicized. I’m so sick of gays thinking they should get extra rights. Go back to keeping it in the closet.

• Doctor Whom

October 11, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Extra rights like being treated like everyone else? Extra rights like presumption of innocence?

• Debbie

October 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

YOU are the reason that gay, lesbian and confused kids are bullied and kill themselves. I hope you are happy with yourself for all the recent blood on your hands. If you don’t want to see ANY couple kiss casually in public, it is your right to walk away or NOT LOOK. Please try to get it through your simple mind that spreading hate is not what Jesus do.

• Arlington

October 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm

— Go back to keeping it in the closet.

• Nick

October 11, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Wow…that is by far the most ignorant thing I have read in a LOOOONG time!! Kissing your partner in public is an “extra right”? Why don’t you bring yourself out of the 19th century and get a grip on reality fool. Gay people are everywhere and guess what, we have been forever. What annoys us to no end is the fact that straight people can practically screw in the street and no one says a word, but let a gay person show some affection and “Oh my God, there are kids around!” What, you never saw your parents kiss, be affectionate with one another?
      Being Gay is not the way I chose to be, I, like all other gay people, was born this way. Why would someone “choose” a life that forces you to hide who you really are from family, co-workers, etc., a life that causes many to consider suicide rather than face what they really are.
      I hope that Mary Kate and Nicole file a VERY public suit against the team, the stadium owners and anyone else they can name.

• Not a coward

October 14, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I, as a bisexual woman am trying to raise MY kids right and I’d appreciate it if YOU would stop making bigotry and idiocy seem like it should be tolerated in polite society. You’re a dying breed sir, and soon you and people like you will all be very alone – like KKK members and Nazis.

• Dianne Gregory

October 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

So, why are you at the website of a gay newspaper? I don’t care what you do at other websites, but don’t bring your negativity here.

31. Michael

October 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Um, I dont know what’s a dumber reason to eject them, for kissing or for taking a cup? Either way the Ravens are obviously idiots. I have worked lots of retail, if someone took a cup the most they would have gotten is an eye-roll or a “just so you know we need that for inventory, so next time maybe….”

I see people making out in public all the time, it annoys me. But their gender doesn’t matter. Whether they were full on making out or just giving a peck, I am sure no opposite sex couples have ever been ejected for that.

Obviously this team is trying to hide their horrific homophobia behind this absolutely ridiculous cup excuse. If they are going to blatantly lie, they could have come up with something a bit more believable.

32. sreeuq kus

October 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm

stay in the closet where you belong

• Disgusted American

October 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm

you don’t like it- don’t look..and fyi – STFU>

33. David

October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

They should sue them. they did nothing wrong. If kissing is a reason to throw someone out then thousands would be thrown out of every game. They are owed a big public apology by the team and the stadium should be sued. Thought the Ravens organization was better than this, me and my friends have decided to stop watching them until this is resolved.

34. Disgusted American

October 11, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I dont care IF they were kissing….who cares? Sounds like the Guard HAD THE PROBLEM…typical Hetero privilage….I was at a Phillies game a few weeks ago – and saw many Straight cpls PDA’s…….this is PURE BIGOTRY…SUE THEM LADIES!

35. Lou

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 am

i hope people boycott the hell out of them… i’d love to see the place filled to only about 1/4 capacity at the next home game! hell, boycott ALL of the raven’s games! as if the NFL needs any more money! too bad that won’t happen. suing though? nah…not worth it. take the high road, ladies! you don’t want to become the next fodder for reality tv! i’m guessing that if they would have asked the ladies for the $ to cover the cost of the cup, they’d have paid it and all would have been right with the world!!! homophobes! screw baltimore!

36. Mindy

October 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m sorry, but this just seems like predjudice. The security guard found it squirmworthy, and reacted as such.

37. Jessica

October 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I have three daughters with bleeding disorders and yes if u are working volunteering u have to b accountable for all inventory they could have ask, and I’m sorry if someone was trying to talk to me and my husband i would stop kissing and not be so d rude! Come on true lesbians do try to make a scene they deal with enough already we have a lot of close friends and not one of them act in this manner grow up!

38. Mikeeee

October 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Listen what happened is ashame. They shouldn’t have been kicked out for public kissing however when told they are causing a scene did they ask how? IF not then how are the cops supposed to know that they are a couple? How are the cops able to tell the difference between a drunk lesbian couple kissing and two drunk girls doing it to act silly in front of a bunch of drunk people. I hope the guards that removed them didn’t do it soley for them being gay but they are put in a tough position. A-lot of girls do kiss other girls because they are drunk and want a reaction from the people around them. Even though they only took the cup to use for ketchup it is apparently not allowed. So i doubt they will get very far with it being as they may have broken a legitamate rule. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I’m not gay myself but do know a few gay people and i don’t look at them any differently then i do others.

39. Kristina

October 13, 2010 at 3:32 pm

SUE!!!! SUE!!!!

40. dumbgump

October 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Let’s get to the point, Yes they should have been kicked out with the first kiss. Gay, lesbian, homosexual or whatever you want to call it is WRONG and I for one should have to be exposed to it. I think it is high time for more people to stand up and shout, “we aren’t going to put up with it any more!”

• equal

October 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Love between consenting adults is not wrong. But to the point, how far would you go to stop the unstopable? It has been tried before, and proved that you cannot stop people from loving others. Accept reality. LGBT people represent a normal expression of the human condition for part of the population. Celebrate love. Oppose prejudice and hate.

• Chaser

October 13, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Are you that narrow minded??? What if it was a man and woman who were making out over a cup of ketchup…Guess that is O.K. Let people kiss whoever they want in public! Let people live and be happy! There are great problems in the world than a damn plastic cup that we should be worrying about whether or not it was stolen! Big f…ing deal! I think the NFL and Ravens should be ashamed to be connected with such stupidity!

• Startled

October 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm

All you heteroes (or whatever you want to be called) out there – STOP KISSING IN PUBLIC. We gay people aren’t going to take it any more. STOP IT! Good grief.

41. Vic

October 14, 2010 at 1:57 am

THIS IS BULL. I HOPE U LADIES SUE THE HELL OUT OF THEM. ITS OBVIOUS ITS HOMOPHOBIA(MOST HOMOPHOBICS ARE CLOSET LESBIAN and GAYS. THERES PROOF JUST GOOGLE IT.) ANYWAY SOMETHING SIMILAR HAPPEN TO MY GF and I. AT THE TRAIN STATION. I WAS ON MY WAY TO WORK, MY GIRLFRIEND WAS GIVING ME A KISS BYE. IT WAS ABOUT FOUR TIMES ON THE LIPS. SO THE STATION WORKER CHICK. LOOKS AT US AND SAID YOU NEED TO TAKE THAT OUTSIDE. IM LIKE TAKE WHAT OUTSIDE. N SHES LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WOULDNT LEAVE MY GF CALMED ME DOWN AND I GOT THAT CHICKS NAME AND ID NUMBER. WE FILED A COMPLAINT AND REPORT. AND TO MY SHOCK THAT CHICK WAS FIRED. IM GLAD SHE WAS WRONG. STR8 COUPLES KISS ALL THE TIME. NO LAW SAYS I CNT KISS MY GF. GLAD THE STATION AND COMPANY WERE FAIR. AGAIN SUE THEM and GOOD LUCK LADIES :-D !

42. David Lord

October 14, 2010 at 8:42 am

I understand the point some people are making about not making a scene not being appropriate. And if the stadium had a history of expelling anyone who kisses, regardless of sexual orientation, they would potentially have a leg to stand on here. However, when the policy is being selectively enforced only against gays and lesbians than it is objectively wrong. Finally, I think the stadium did themselves in by going down the ridiculous path of “the stolen cup.” It’s pretty clear that having three police officers remove someone for “stealing” a plastic cup to put ketchup in is a complete pretext for taking an action you know is not right (discrimination).

43. Jesse

October 14, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I am not gay. However, I am all for gay rights, most of all gay marrige. Both of these girls are very attractive. Them kissing in a crowd, anything more than a peck, is certainly going to draw attention. A stadium half full of drunk men, including myself, two it girls kissing is a nice add to waiting in line. You have to understand how that could be bad. Some drunk redneck wants to get in on it, causes a scene and that could leed to chaos. Yeah, that’s a stretch, but you see my point. Alcohol + guys + girls kissing = ……..

44. Michael Kress

October 16, 2010 at 11:36 am

This is the stupidest form of because i’m in charged bs i’ve heard. Couldn’t the “security man” use words to help them from getting kicked out by telling them whatever it was he felt was wrong 1st. so they had a chance to stop what ever the f k it was. Football games are all about people pushing their behavoir to the brim. This couple’s rights as paying ticket holders were violated. Either get the value of your seat purchase returned or sue them for character and erepudable harm. Really nice seats for a game for an apology is the least they could do. Don’t let it go unnoticed.

45. Moose

November 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I think this really boils down to three things: two girls, one cup…..

46. edie

November 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

does anybody here know anyone who has had a similar experience. what was the outcome?

47. Sol

November 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

You know, if the cup really was the problem, the guards should have said so. I’m sure if the guards said all that stuff about charities and whatnot, she girls would have worked things out with the guards.
    I’ve seen straight couples at games that are two steps away from having sex in their seats. nobody confronted them about it, aside from a couple people saying “Get a room!” I think the guards were either being a bunch of pussies or a bunch or idiots. either way isn’t good for them.

48. kendermouse

November 24, 2010 at 2:04 am

Okay, here’s the deal. I’ve actually worked for Aramark in two different stadiums before. Yes, they are extremely anal about their inventory, to the point of possibly penalizing a worker over a cheap plastic cup. But tossing a paying customer out of the stadium over it? No. At most, they would have been asked to pay the price of the drink that would have gone in the cup.

As for the PDA… and those people claiming, “Uhhh, straight couples don’t DO PDA at football games.”
    Really? You’re going to seriously try to pull this, considering the sheer amount of times I have seen the cameras pull in on some couple snogging in the stands? Try again.

Oh, and for those of you beating your bibles about this, I have a few passages for you: Matthew 7:12, Leviticus 19:18, and finally, Matthew 7:5.

That is all.

49. John

February 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Something (facts) is missing from this story. A security guard decides they stole a cup, a cop decides they didn’t, an Aramark employee saw them remove the cup, three cops escort them from the stadium, and then representatives from both organizations agree with the removal of the couple.

I think that as anal as it might be, removing the cup was a little bit more of a problem than the couple realized. If beers were/are sold by the plastic cup, theft of a cup is technically theft. Stupid, but it’s theft. With strict alcohol policies and beer often sold by the cup, I can understand why “cup enforcement” would be as anal as it is. I think the fact they were kissing might have drawn attention to them, and maybe their taking of the cup might have gone unnoticed otherwise. But a lesbian couple kissing *is* something people notice.

It would be a bit like driving a red sports car down a highway, and being busted for speeding. You got nailed for breaking the law and honestly deserve to get nailed for it, but when your car stands out, you increase your odds of getting ticketed (which is why if you’re smart you don’t buy a red car). Same for the lesbian couple. Like it or not, lesbians do still stand out, and people take notice. If you screw up somehow while out in public (shoplifting, graffiti, whatever), you’re a lot more likely to get nailed because people were watching you in the first place. It may not be fair, but it’s something you have to be aware of.

50. Copp

March 31, 2011 at 12:48 am

Typical gays. starved for attention and making a scene and then crying when they’re called out on it. They love to cry how innocent they are, but no wants to see them kiss or make out except the other 2 percent of gays who chose to be that way

51. Showcaseplanet

April 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

Wow this type of discrimination should really stop cuz whats the big deal of 2 girls being together as long as they love eachother?.. my best friend is a lesbian and believe me they live a more happy life than the ordinary couples i’ve seen but anyways this gotta stop now!.. people like Ellen degeneres are really tryin hard for gay rights and i think this year will be a good year!:)

52. Barrie Daneker

August 31, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Boycott Baltimore and the Ravens. I say we have a protest at the next game and ask partons to take a stand! They will quickly change their tune! Furthermore Kevin Byrne is a complete PR idiot! I would fire his ass in minute! A PR moment that could have been a complete win for the Ravens and this dumby shoots the Ravens in the head! FIRED BYRNE NOW!

53. bjt

October 2, 2011 at 12:58 am

SUE THEM

54. Paul

April 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm

What GAY people dont realize is a lot of people dont want to see queer folks making out everywhere, making a mockery of themselves for show. You give an inch, they will take a yard. Gay’s in the military, gay marriage, gay benefits, new laws against speaking out against gays, new discrimination laws, every business and establishment in the country will be forced to cater to these people or else face lawsuits or prosecution. Personally I dont want to see gays making out or kissing (men in particular). It makes me sick! But I dont have any rights, only gays have rights. Maybe someday they can have sex in public too? They were all better when they were in the closet. This country is the new Sodom and Gomorrah which ironically was the only society in past history to ever have laws to guarantee the rights of homosexuals which has ALWAYS been considered Debauchery for hundreds of years in every society. All 50 states once had laws against it! But not anymore, first gays, then it will be men having multiple wives, the rights of those to have incest with their own family members (if consenting adults), rights of swingers, public nudity, the whole society will be an immoral sewer! This country was founded on morality, the forefathers were VERY moral and this kind of stuff would make them all sick!

Local

Comings & Goings

Troy Cline, gay news, Washington Blade
The 'Comings & Goings' column chronicles important life changes of Blade readers.

The Comings & Goings column is about sharing the professional successes of our community. We want to recognize those landing new jobs, new clients for their business, joining boards of organizations and other achievements. Please share your successes with us at: [email protected]

The Comings & Goings column also invites LGBTQ+ college students to share their successes with us. If you have been elected to a student government position, gotten an exciting internship, or are graduating and beginning your career with a great job, let us know so we can share your success.

Shin Inouye, gay news, Washington Blade
Steven McCarty

Congratulations to Steven McCarty on being named president of the Kiwanis Club of Washington, D.C. He said, “I’m honored to be installed as the president of the Kiwanis Club of Washington, D.C. and to be able to shepherd our programs and volunteers to impact youth where they are needed most. Our club’s new partnership with SMYAL has already turned a portion of their Youth Center in Southeast D.C. into the first Clinical Services Department in the District that offers free and affirming mental healthcare to LGBTQ Youth. As an openly gay man, I’m proud to further our club’s mission with radical empathy and inclusion.” McCarty has also recently been awarded Kiwanis’ highest honor, the George Hixson award.

McCarty is a Technical Program Specialist at stac labs in D.C. He is also founder and campaign manager at Abolish Racism 2020. He worked as a Senior Customer Success Manager,  Crowdskout. He was a workplace equality intern at Human Rights Campaign and a summer fellow at Michigan State AFL-CIO, in Lansing, Mich.

McCarty earned his bachelor’s in Political Science and Communications Studies at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Congratulations also to Shin Inouye on his appointment as Executive Vice President of Communications, The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights and Human Rights, The Leadership Conference Education Fund.

Wade Henderson, interim president and CEO of The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund said, “We are thrilled Shin Inouye will be taking on even greater responsibilities on our senior leadership team. His incredible talent and commitment to this organization and our work are truly outstanding, and his strategic leadership will no doubt continue moving us forward in the fight to protect and advance civil and human rights.”

Inouye has held a number of positions with the organization including Managing Director of Communications. Inouye also held a number of high-level positions in the Obama administration, including Press Secretary and Acting Senior Adviser for Intergovernmental and External Affairs, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services; Adviser for Intergovernmental and External Affairs, Executive Office of the President; White House Office of Communications: Director of Specialty Media; and served as an authorized spokesperson for the Obama Inaugural Committee, with a focus on specialty media outlets, including LGBTQ, AAPI, Native American, Youth/College, Faith, and Jewish press. Prior to that Inouye was Communications Director in the Office of Congressman Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.) and has also worked for the ACLU and as a summer intern with the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan.

Inouye received a number of honors including being named One of 25 “LGBTI next generation leaders to watch” by Out in National Security and the Atlantic Council; and One of “40 Asian American Pacific Islander National Security & Foreign Policy Next Generation Leaders” by New America and the Diversity in National Security Network.

Shin Inouye

Local

Youngkin reiterates opposition to marriage equality

Va. gubernatorial candidate says issue ‘legally acceptable’ in state

(Photo courtesy of Twitter)

Glenn Youngkin in an interview with the Associated Press has reiterated his opposition to marriage rights for same-sex couples.

Youngkin—a Republican who is running against Democrat Terry McAuliffe to succeed Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam—said in an interview published on Friday that he feels “called to love everyone.” Youngkin then reiterated his opposition to marriage equality before he added it is “legally acceptable” in the state.

“I, as governor, will support that,” Youngkin told the AP.

McAuliffe was Virginia’s governor from 2014-2018.

Same-sex couples began to legally marry in Virginia a few months after McAuliffe took office.

McAuliffe in 2014 became the first governor of a Southern state to officiate a same-sex wedding. The lesbian couple who McAuliffe married recently appeared in one of his campaign ads.

McAuliffe on Friday criticized Youngkin. “As governor, I worked my heart out to keep Virginia open and welcoming to all,” said McAuliffe in a tweet. “This type of bigotry and intolerance has no place in our commonwealth.”

The anti-LGBTQ Family Research Council, which the Southern Poverty Law Center has categorized as an extremist group, earlier this month endorsed Youngkin, but Log Cabin Republicans are among the groups that have backed his campaign. The Human Rights Campaign in 2019 named Youngkin’s former company, the Carlyle Group, as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality” in its annual Corporate Equality Index.

Local

D.C. school board calls for LGBTQ-inclusive teaching standards

Sweeping resolution proposing content in curricula approved unanimously

Gay State Board of Education member Allister Chang.

The D.C. State Board of Education voted unanimously on Oct. 20 to approve a resolution calling for LGBTQ+ Inclusive Education Standards for the city’s public schools that “reflect on the political, economic, social, cultural, and scientific contributions and experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.”

The two-page resolution, which was introduced by gay State Board of Education member Allister Chang, who represents Ward 2, cites national research showing that students who have access to LGBTQ+ curricula in their schools “are more likely to report lower frequency of bullying, lower levels of depression, more accepting peers, and greater feelings of safety in school.”

The resolution states that research also shows that multicultural education, including the teaching of LGBTQ topics, “helps prevent the formation of bias and prejudice and creates more democratic communities.”

LGBTQ rights advocates have long considered the local D.C. government through its mayor and City Council to be highly supportive of the LGBTQ community. But Chang and other supporters of the resolution approved by the board Wednesday night say their research shows that D.C. public schools, while supportive of LGBTQ students, are far behind the school systems in several other states in the inclusion of LGBTQ topics in school curricula.

As an example, supporters of the resolution point out that curriculum standards for social studies classes in the D.C. school system include only one mention of LGBTQ people in a teaching section related to victims of the Holocaust.

Unlike most other cities and states, under current D.C. law, the school system is controlled by the mayor through the D.C. Department of Education, which is headed by a Deputy Mayor for Education and who, in turn and in consultation with the mayor, appoints a State Superintendent of Education who oversees the day-to-day operations of the schools.

Under a change in the education statute approved by the D.C. Council and signed by then-Mayor Adrian Fenty in 2007, the school board, which was renamed the State Board of Education, became a mostly advisory body on education matters with some statutory authority to approve education standards on which school curricula are based.

Thus, the resolution approved by the board on Wednesday “advises” and “recommends” that the State Superintendent of Education develop school curricula, guidance for teachers, and school-based leaders and staff “in providing LGBTQ+ inclusive lessons and practices in their classrooms.”

The resolution concludes by recommending that the State Superintendent of Education conduct a survey of students within two years after the Oct. 20 adoption of the resolution “to establish baseline data and to gain an understanding of the current experiences of LGBTQ+ students across the district and what all students know and understand about the contributions and experiences of LGBTQ+ people in the relevant subject areas.”

Chang and other members of the State Board of Education noted at the Oct. 20 meeting, which was virtual, that Will Beckerman, who graduated this year from D.C.’s School Without Walls High School, played an important role in conducting the research used to prepare the LGBTQ standards resolution and helped in the drafting of the resolution.

Chang noted that much of the background information used to draft the resolution came from Beckerman’s senior year school research paper and advocacy project that focuses on the topic of LGBTQ-inclusive education.

In comments supporting the resolution, Chang also spoke about how the very limited LGBTQ content he encountered during his high school days helped him accept himself as a gay youth.

“As a student myself, I don’t remember a single mention of any LGBTQ people in any of my classwork until I read Thomas Mann in my senior year in high school,” Chang said. “And in Death in Venice, this Nobel Prize winner touches upon his struggles with homosexuality but never actually names it explicitly,” Chang told fellow board members.

“And I remember holding on to this novella despite the self-hatred that’s woven throughout this story because it was the first time that I saw this aspect of my identity reflected in my class work,” he said. “My hope – and I think this hope comes true with this resolution tonight – is that future generations of LGBTQ students have more opportunities to see themselves reflected in their class work and to feel less isolated by their class work than I did growing up.”

It couldn’t immediately be determined whether D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser will endorse the school system changes proposed by the resolution approved by the State Board of Education.

The full text of the resolution follows:

State Board of Education Resolution

On LGBTQ+ Inclusive Education Standards

SR21-7

WHEREAS, the 2019 District of Columbia Youth Risk Behavior Survey found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual students make up 15.9 percent of high school students in the District and transgender students make up1.9 percent of District high school students;

WHEREAS, in the District, these students, in comparison to their heterosexual peers, experience double the rate of bullying on school property, report higher rates of being removed from class for disciplinary reasons, and are more than twice as likely to experience suicidal ideation;

WHEREAS, national data shows that lesbian, gay, and bisexual students are significantly more likely to receive grades of D or F than their heterosexual peers and were more likely to be truant;

WHEREAS, consistent research suggests that students with LGBTQ+ inclusive curricula in their schools are more likely to report lower frequency of bullying, lower levels of depression, more accepting peers, and greater feelings of safety in school—and this safety leads students to report higher attendance, higher GPAs, a greater sense of belonging in the school community, and higher educational aspirations;

WHEREAS, research shows that multicultural education helps prevent the formation of bias and prejudice and creates more democratic communities ;

WHEREAS, the State Board of Education recognizes the need to have revised social studies standards that create “windows and mirrors” so students see themselves and people like them reflected in the content of standards and curriculum, as well as having the opportunity to learn about diverse people, cultures, places, and experiences unlike themselves—explicitly noting that the current standards emphasize the lives of presidents and other figures who held/hold power and under-represent or lack representation of people and groups like those identifying as LGBTQ+, and their respective histories;

WHEREAS, in the State Board of Education’s review and revision of the social studies standards, the State Board called upon the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) to “seek standards writers who reflect the demographics and experiences of District students and of the communities they are writing about” sharing a list of examples that included writers identifying as LGBTQ+;

WHEREAS, the State Board of Education is committed to ensuring students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to be engaged global citizens in a diverse democratic society; and,

WHEREAS, the State Board of Education has a commitment to promote equity, introduce policies to reduce disparities between students, and create safe school environments for all students.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT, upon the next revision of any District of Columbia state education standards, the State Board of Education should adapt standards, when appropriate, that reflect on the political, economic, social, cultural, and scientific contributions and experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the State Board of Education advises the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) to provide guidance to teachers and school-based leaders and staff on creating inclusive lessons in science and English language arts (ELA) classes that align with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Common Core ELA standards, respectively;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the State Board of Education recommends that the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) implement professional development for teachers and school-based leaders and staff to aid them in providing LGBTQ+ inclusive lessons and practices in their classrooms, such that that the professional development includes: workshops for local education agencies (LEAs) and teachers to draft curriculum related to LGBTQ+ topics in their subject areas, lessons on use of inclusive language in the classroom, lessons on ensuring LGBTQ+ students’ safety and confidentiality while maintaining respect for their name and pronouns, and mandatory diversity training related to the LGBTQ+ community; and,

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED THAT, the State Board of Education recommends that the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) survey students within two (2) years of adoption of this resolution to establish baseline date and to gain an understanding of the current experiences of LGBTQ+ students across the district and what all students know and understand about the contributions and experiences of LGBTQ+ people in the relevant subject areas.

Brikett, Michelle et al. “Sexual-orientation disparities in school: the meditational role of indicators of victimization in achievement and truancy because of feeling unsafe.” American Journal of Public Health vol. 104, 6 (2014): 1124-8. doi: 10.2105/AJHP.2013.301785

Kosciw, Joseph G., et al. “The 2019 National School Climate Survey: The Experiences of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Youth in Our Nation’s Schools.” GLSEN, GLSEN, 2020, glsen.org.

Camicia, Steven P. Critical Democratic Education and LGBTQ-Inclusive Curriculum: Opportunities and Constraints. Routledge Focus, 2016.

Camicia, Steven P. “Prejudice Reduction through Multicultural Education: Connecting Multiple Literatures.” Social Studies Research and Practice, vol. 2, no. 2, 2007, pp. 219–227.

socstrpr.org/files/Vol%25202/Issue%25202%2520-%2520Summer%25202007/Action%2520Research/2.2.6.pdf