Connect with us

Local

Credibility questioned in Omega robbery report

Published

on

D.C. police investigators are questioning the credibility of a customer who reported being robbed at gunpoint inside the men’s bathroom at the Dupont Circle gay bar Omega on Jan. 3, and at least one investigator doesn’t believe a gun was involved in the case, according to a police source.

A separate source familiar with a video surveillance system installed throughout Omega for security purposes said video images of the customer who reported the robbery and three people he identified as suspects contradicts the customer’s version of how the reported robbery unfolded.

The source said the surveillance video – which shows the movements of the customer and the alleged suspects inside the bar — raises questions about the customer’s claim that the robbery took place in the bathroom.

“Do I think something happened in that place? Absolutely,” said the police source, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “But do I think it panned out the way he said it did? No I do not.”

A police report of the incident says that according to accounts by the victim and at least one witness, the reported robbery took place about 8:45 p.m. after the victim said he played pool with three people now listed as suspects in the case. The report says a witness told police that after the victim and the suspects played pool the victim bought the suspects drinks at the bar.

According to the report, the victim told police he went to the restroom and one of the suspects followed him there, pulled out a “dark colored handgun,” pointed it at his waistband, and stated “give it up.”

The report says the victim told police he turned over his wallet, which had at least $400 in cash. The report says the victim also told police the suspect stole his North Face coat, which he says has a value of more than $400; his driver’s license and his cell phone.

After committing the robbery, the suspect left the bathroom and fled the bar, and the victim ran after him, the victim told police, according to the police report.

The victim spoke to the Blade by phone on condition that the Blade not disclose his name. He confirmed that he ran out of Omega to look for the suspect, saying all three suspects “were gone” by the time he exited the bar.

But he disputed the police report’s assertion that he played pool with the suspects, saying he did not play pool with them. He also disputed the police report’s claim that the incident happened about 8:45, saying it happened no later than 6 or 7 p.m. and that he had been in the bar drinking since the time it opened at 4 p.m.

“I was too damn drunk to play pool because I was a little high,” he told the Blade. “I ain’t going to lie to you. I was drinking at the time.”

But later in the 20-minute interview, he said he wasn’t drunk. “The police knew I wasn’t even drunk at all,” he said. “The police asked me was I drinking. Yes I was drinking. And they knew I wasn’t drunk because of how I was talking to them.”

When asked if he often carries $400 or more in cash on him, he said, “No, I had to pay my rent. I went to the bank to get my rent and I had a drink in there and I was about to leave is what I was about to do.”

The police source said the case remains under investigation, with the possibility that it may be closed due to lack of evidence that an armed robbery occurred. One possibility, the source said, is the victim may have been “duped” by the suspects, who could have stolen his jacket and other possessions while he left them unattended.

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

Maryland

Anne Arundel schools updates gender identity regulation following Trump administration threats

District facing federal lawsuit, White House threats over guidelines

Published

on

Anne Arundel County Public Schools Supt. Mark Bedell sent a message to families on Aug. 19, 2026. about an update to a school system regulation on gender identity. (Photo by Ulysses Muñoz for the Baltimore Banner)

By JESSICA CALEFATI | Under pressure from the Trump-Vance administration, Anne Arundel County Public Schools Supt. Mark Bedell announced Wednesday the district had updated a regulation intended to protect transgender students’ right to be called by their chosen name.

The revised language makes clear that district rules on gender identity do not block parents’ rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act as the federal government alleged last month, and that a student’s gender identity will not be treated as confidential medical information.

“No policy, guideline, or practice may limit or otherwise interfere with parental rights under FERPA,” Bedell wrote in a Wednesday letter to the community. “This includes any information maintained in education records that relates to gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, preferred name, or preferred pronouns.”

The rest of this article can be read on the Baltimore Banner’s website.

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Man charged with anti-gay assault in D.C. accepts plea offer

Community service offered in exchange for dismissing hate crime charge

Published

on

(Photo by Sergei Gnatuk via Bigstock)

A Germantown, Md., man arrested by D.C. police on a charge of simple assault with a hate crime designation for allegedly assaulting a gay man while using “homophobic slurs” has agreed to an offer by prosecutors to plead guilty to simple assault without the hate crime designation and with the promise of having the charge dismissed if he completes, among other requirements, 48 hours of community service work.

Dean Edmundson, 26, standing beside his attorney, officially accepted the offer of a Deferred Sentencing Agreement at an Aug. 18 status hearing in D.C. Superior Court after Senior Judge Hiram Puig-Lugo explained the details of the agreement and confirmed Edmundson’s decision to waive his right to a trial.

Among other things, the judge said the agreement offered by prosecutors with the Office of the United States Attorney for D.C. includes the requirement that he successfully completes 48 hours of community service work, stays away from the victim of the assault, writes a letter of apology to the victim, and does not violate any other laws or get into trouble for the next 12 months.

Puig-Lugo then announced he scheduled a sentencing hearing for Edmundson for Aug. 18, 2027, at which time a determination will made on whether he has fulfilled all the requirements under the agreement and whether the simple assault charge will be dismissed. The judge added that if it is determined that Edmundson did not fulfil the terms of the agreement the charge would remain in place and he could be sentenced to a possible maximum penalty of 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Edmundson, who appeared in court wearing a business suit with a dress shirt and tie, was released on his own recognizance following his arrest by D.C. police on Feb. 7, 2026.

Police and court records show he was initially charged by arresting officers with simple assault with a hate crime designation. In a statement announcing the arrest, D.C. police said, “On Saturday, Feb. 7, 2026, at approximately 7:45 p.m. the victim and suspect were in the 1500 block of 14th Street, Northwest. The suspect requested a ‘high five’ from the victim. The victim declined and kept walking,” the statement says.

A follow-up arrest affidavit filed by police states that Edmundson followed the victim and called him “bald, ugly, and gay,” and then “pushed the victim with both hands, shoving them, causing the victim to feel the force of the push.” The affidavit adds, “The victim stated that they felt offended and that they were also gay.”

According to the court records, the Office of the U.S. Attorney filed its official charge of simple assault against Edmunson on Feb. 9 without the hate crime designation. The office has not responded to a request by the Washington Blade for its reason for dropping the hate crime designation. The office has also not immediately responded to a follow-up inquiry from the Blade this week asking if prosecutors consulted the victim to obtain the victim’s thoughts about the plea offer.

The Blade, which has a policy of not disclosing the identify of crime victims in cases like this without their consent, could not immediately obtain contact information to reach the victim for comment.

Court records show that Edmundson rejected an earlier plea agreement offer by prosecutors and he was scheduled for a non-jury trial on Aug. 18. The records show his attorney filed a motion earlier this month asking the judge to convert the trial into status hearing on that same day after his client accepted the Deferred Sentencing Agreement offer by the U.S. Attorney’s office. The judge approved the motion without objection from prosecutors.

Continue Reading

Virginia

Winsome Earle-Sears ‘Life and Marriage Tour’ to include Northern Va. stops

Voters to consider marriage equality, reproductive rights referenda in November

Published

on

Former Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key

Former Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears has announced her campaign against efforts to enshrine marriage equality and reproductive rights in the state constitution will make several stops in Northern Virginia.

Her “Life and Marriage Tour” will include stops in Manassas, Winchester, and Harrisonburg. Earle-Sears said the “Life and Marriage Tour” will also travel to Virginia Beach, Lynchburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville, and other cities across Virginia “throughout September and October.”

The announcement did not include specific dates.

“Virginia, you’ve been asking where the Life and Marriage Tour is headed — here’s a look at our current tour locations,” she said on X on Tuesday. “We’ll be traveling across the commonwealth throughout September and October, and we’re still building the journey.”

Current Gov. Abigail Spanberger, a Democrat, last November defeated Earle-Sears, a Republican, in the race to succeed Republican Glenn Youngkin.

Voters in 2006 approved the Marshall-Newman Amendment, which defined marriage in Virginia as between a man and a woman.

Same-sex couples have been able to legally marry in Virginia since 2014. Youngkin a decade later signed a bill that codified marriage equality in state law.

Two successive legislatures must approve a proposed constitutional amendment before it can go to the ballot.

Spanberger signed bills that finalized the marriage equality and reproductive rights referenda’s language.

The referenda will take place on Nov. 3.

Continue Reading

Popular