Local
Kristin Beck: I am a ‘warrior for our rights’
Transgender retired U.S. Navy SEAL to host Va. fashion show on Saturday
A transgender retired U.S. Navy SEAL hosts a charity fashion show for a Northern Virginia HIV/AIDS service organization in Falls Church on Saturday, July 20.
“HIV and AIDS is controllable, possibly curable,” Kristin Beck told the Washington Blade during an interview earlier on Friday at Ireland’s Four Provinces in downtown Falls Church alongside Hugo Delgado, executive director and co-founder of NOVASalud, Inc., the group behind the fashion show. “As long as they start being more careful and people start taking care of themselves and follow the health precautions, we could probably pretty much get rid of a lot of HIV/AIDS in the next couple of generations.”
Beck, who transitioned from a man into a woman after she retired from the Navy SEALs in 2011 following two decades with the special operations force, spoke with the Blade less than two months after she published her memoir titled “Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy SEAL’s Journey to Coming Out Transgender.”
“I was a Navy SEAL for 20 years; I’ve been transgender for 47 years,” she said. “I’ve been transgender for my entire life.”
Beck, who was once member of the SEAL Team 6 that carried out the 2011 raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan during which the terrorist mastermind was killed, noted to the Blade she would have been immediately discharged under ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ if she had come out as a trans woman while on active duty. (Gay and lesbian servicemembers have been able to serve openly since DADT’s repeal took effect in 2010, but trans soldiers remain unable to do so.)
“I was afraid,” she said. “I wanted to keep my job. I liked my job. I enjoyed being a SEAL. I was proud of that.”
In spite of the aforementioned professional risk, Beck said the majority the SEALs with whom she served remain “very supportive” of her transition.
“They’re great people that I honor to this day,” Beck said.
Warrior for ‘our civil rights’
Beck went to high school with Jonathan Falwell, one of the late-Rev. Jerry Falwell’s two sons, in Lynchburg, Va. She attended the nearby Virginia Military Institute before enlisting in the military while living in Crystal City.
Beck said she decided to write her memoir, in part, because of the disproportionately high suicide rates among trans people.
“It’s a very sad community because we have so much prejudice and so much against us,” she told the Blade as she discussed her advocacy in support of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
Beck said she has begun to lobby members of Congress to back bill. She noted she has also worked with Equality Florida, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Southern Poverty Law Center and other groups in support of ENDA.
“We can make it and we’re going to do good,” Beck said. “We’re equal and we’re still fighting. I’m the warrior right now for our civil rights.”
Beck further noted Virginia is among the more than 30 states without statewide trans-specific employment protections.
“This is the land of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,” she said. “I don’t have liberty myself. I am not equal right now and that makes me a little bit angry. It should make all of us angry.”
Beck also discussed the need to curb anti-trans violence.
She told the Blade she continues to worry about someone whom she does not know attacking her because of her gender identity and expression.
“I’m in constant danger for people who are uninformed,” Beck said. “So if I can inform a few of those people to say hey look, I don’t want you to love me, I don’t want you like me… I don’t care, but I don’t want you to run over to me and punch me in the head because you see me wearing a dress.”
Beck, who lives outside Tampa, Fla., has two teenage sons with her ex-wife who now resides in Minnesota. She said they are “fairly open” to her new gender identity and expression.
“It makes me proud of them that they can look beyond a lot of things and they are accepting of something,” Beck said.
Beck to ‘bring an awareness’ of area trans residents
Delgado told the Blade his organization’s fashion show – and Beck’s participation in it – is part of his group’s ongoing commitment to provide HIV/AIDS education and testing and linking those who live with the virus in Northern Virginia to care.
“There’s a big need, especially for the LGBT community,” he said. “In this project we try to break the stigma, discrimination and prejudice. Plus we want to present to the community this [the trans community] is a beautiful community that we need to take care of.”
Trans Sisters Informing Sisters on Topics about AIDS (TSISTA,) a NOVASalud program, will also take part in the fashion show.
“Having Kristin join forces with NOVASalud, Inc., and TSISTA will bring an awareness to the Northern Virginia community about our beautiful transgender community,” Gaby García, a NOVASalud health educator for TSISTA, said.
District of Columbia
D.C. police arrest man for burglary at gay bar Spark Social House
Suspect ID’d from images captured by Spark Social House security cameras
D.C. police on Feb. 18 arrested a 63-year-old man “of no fixed address” for allegedly stealing cash from the registers at the gay bar Spark Social House after unlawfully entering the bar at 2009 14th St., N.W., around 12:04 a.m. after it had closed for business, according to a police incident report.
“Later that day officers canvassing for the suspect located him nearby,” a separate police statement says. “63-year-old Tony Jones of no fixed address was arrested and charged with Burglary II,” the statement says.
The police incident report states that the bar’s owner, Nick Tsusaki, told police investigators that the bar’s security cameras captured the image of a man who has frequently visited the bar and was believed to be homeless.
“Once inside, the defendant was observed via the establishment’s security cameras opening the cash register, removing U.S. currency, and placing the currency into the left front pocket of his jacket,” the report says.
Tsusaki told the Washington Blade that he and Spark’s employees have allowed Jones to enter the bar many times since it opened last year to use the bathroom in a gesture of compassion knowing he was homeless. Tsusaki said he is not aware of Jones ever having purchased anything during his visits.
According to Tsusaki, Spark closed for business at around 10:30 p.m. on the night of the incident at which time an employee did not properly lock the front entrance door. He said no employees or customers were present when the security cameras show Jones entering Spark through the front door around 12:04 a.m.
Tsusaki said the security camera images show Jones had been inside Spark for about three hours on the night of the burglary and show him taking cash out of two cash registers. He took a total of $300, Tsusaki said.
When Tsusaki and Spark employees arrived at the bar later in the day and discovered the cash was missing from the registers they immediately called police, Tsusaki told the Blade. Knowing that Jones often hung out along the 2000 block of 14th Street where Spark is located, Tsusaki said he went outside to look for him and saw him across the street and pointed Jones out to police, who then placed him under arrest.
A police arrest affidavit filed in court states that at the time they arrested him police found the stolen cash inside the pocket of the jacket Jones was wearing. It says after taking him into police custody officers found a powdered substance in a Ziploc bag also in Jones’s possession that tested positive for cocaine, resulting in him being charged with cocaine possession in addition to the burglary charge.
D.C. Superior Court records show a judge ordered Jones held in preventive detention at a Feb. 19 presentment hearing. The judge then scheduled a preliminary hearing for the case on Feb. 20, the outcome of which couldn’t immediately be obtained.
District of Columbia
Judge rescinds order against activist in Capital Pride lawsuit
Darren Pasha accused of stalking organization staff, board members, volunteers
A D.C. Superior Court judge on Feb.18 agreed to rescind his earlier ruling declaring local gay activist Darren Pasha in default for failing to attend a virtual court hearing regarding an anti-stalking lawsuit brought against him by the Capital Pride Alliance, the group that organizes D.C.’s annual Pride events.
The Capital Pride lawsuit, initially filed on Oct. 27, 2025, accuses Pasha of engaging in a year-long “course of conduct” of “harassment, intimidation, threats, manipulation, and coercive behavior” targeting Capital Pride staff, board members, and volunteers.
In his own court filings without retaining an attorney, Pasha has strongly denied the stalking related allegations against him, saying “no credible or admissible evidence has been provided” to show he engaged in any wrongdoing.
Judge Robert D. Okum nevertheless on Feb. 6 approved a temporary stay-away order requiring Pasha to stay at least 100 feet away from Capital Pride’s staff, volunteers, and board members until the time of a follow-up court hearing scheduled for April 17. He reduced the stay-away distance from 200 yards as requested by Capital Pride.
In his two-page order issued on Feb. 18, Okun stated that Pasha explained that he was involved in a scooter accident in which he was injured and his phone was damaged, preventing him from joining the Feb. 6 court hearing.
“Therefore, the court finds there is a good cause for vacating the default,” Okun states in his order.
At the time he initially approved the default order at the Feb. 6 hearing that Pasha didn’t attend, Okun scheduled an April 17 ex parte proof hearing in which Capital Pride could have requested a ruling in its favor seeking a permanent anti-stalking order against Pasha.
In his Feb. 18 ruling rescinding the default order Okun changed the April 17 ex parte proof hearing to an initial scheduling conference hearing in which a decision on the outcome of the case is not likely to happen.
In addition, he agreed to consider Pasha’s call for a jury trial and gave Capital Pride 14 days to contest that request. The Capital Pride lawsuit initially called for a non-jury trial by judge.
One request by Pasha that Okum denied was a call for him to order Capital Pride to stop its staff or volunteers from posting information about the lawsuit on social media. Pasha has said the D.C.-based online blog called DC Homos, which Pasha claims is operated by someone associated with Capital Pride, has been posting articles portraying him in a negative light and subjecting him to highly negative publicity.
“The defendant has not set forth a sufficient basis for the court to restrict the plaintiff’s social media postings, and the court therefore will deny the defendant’s request in his social media praecipe,” Okun states in his order.
A praecipe is a formal written document requesting action by a court.
Pasha called the order a positive development in his favor. He said he plans to file another motion with more information about what he calls the unfair and defamatory reports about him related to the lawsuit by DC Homos, with a call for the judge to reverse his decision not to order Capital Pride to stop social media postings about the lawsuit.
Pasha points to a video interview on the LGBTQ Team Rayceen broadcast, a link to which he sent to the Washington Blade, in which DC Homos operator Jose Romero acknowledged his association with Capital Pride Alliance.
Capital Pride Executive Director Ryan Bos didn’t immediately respond to a message from the Blade asking whether Romero was a volunteer or employee with Capital Pride.
Pasha also said he believes the latest order has the effect of rescinding the temporary stay away order against him approved by Okun in his earlier ruling, even though Okun makes no mention of the stay away order in his latest ruling. Capital Pride attorney Nick Harrison told the Blade the stay away order “remains in full force and effect.”
Harrison said Capital Pride has no further comment on the lawsuit.
District of Columbia
Trans activists arrested outside HHS headquarters in D.C.
Protesters demonstrated directive against gender-affirming care
Authorities on Tuesday arrested 24 activists outside the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services headquarters in D.C.
The Gender Liberation Movement, a national organization that uses direct action, media engagement, and policy advocacy to defend bodily autonomy and self-determination, organized the protest in which more than 50 activists participated. Organizers said the action was a response to changes in federal policy mandated by Executive Order 14187, titled “Protecting Children from Chemical and Surgical Mutilation.”
The order directs federal agencies and programs to work toward “significantly limiting youth access to gender-affirming care nationwide,” according to KFF, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that provides independent, fact-based information on national health issues. The executive order also includes claims about gender-affirming care and transgender youth that critics have described as misinformation.
Members of ACT UP NY and ACT UP Pittsburgh also participated in the demonstration, which took place on the final day of the public comment period for proposed federal rules that would restrict access to gender-affirming care.
Demonstrators blocked the building’s main entrance, holding a banner reading “HANDS OFF OUR ‘MONES,” while chanting, “HHS—RFK—TRANS YOUTH ARE NO DEBATE” and “NO HATE—NO FEAR—TRANS YOUTH ARE WELCOME HERE.”
“We want trans youth and their loving families to know that we see them, we cherish them, and we won’t let these attacks go on without a fight,” said GLM co-founder Raquel Willis. “We also want all Americans to understand that Trump, RFK, and their HHS won’t stop at trying to block care for trans youth — they’re coming for trans adults, for those who need treatment from insulin to SSRIs, and all those already failed by a broken health insurance system.”
“It is shameful and intentional that this administration is pitting communities against one another by weaponizing Medicaid funding to strip care from trans youth. This has nothing to do with protecting health and everything to do with political distraction,” added GLM co-founder Eliel Cruz. “They are targeting young people to deflect from their failure to deliver for working families across the country. Instead of restricting care, we should be expanding it. Healthcare is a human right, and it must be accessible to every person — without cost or exception.”

Despite HHS’s efforts to restrict gender-affirming care for trans youth, major medical associations — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Endocrine Society — continue to regard such care as evidence-based treatment. Gender-affirming care can include psychotherapy, social support, and, when clinically appropriate, puberty blockers and hormone therapy.
The protest comes amid broader shifts in access to care nationwide.
NYU Langone Health recently announced it will stop providing transition-related medical care to minors and will no longer accept new patients into its Transgender Youth Health Program following President Donald Trump’s January 2025 executive order targeting trans healthcare.
-
National5 days agoTrump falsely links trans people to terrorism
-
Virginia5 days agoFellow lawmakers praise Adam Ebbin after Va. Senate farewell address
-
National5 days agoLGBTQ activists mourn the Rev. Jesse Jackson
-
Massachusetts4 days agoEXCLUSIVE: Markey says transgender rights fight is ‘next frontier’

