Students at Midd-West High School in Middleburg, Pa., are mourning the suicide of a freshman who ran in front of a truck at 3 a.m. Saturday morning, according to the Daily Item, a regional newspaper.
Brandon Bitner, 14, had been a victim of intense bullying students told the Item. He walked about 13 miles from his home to a busy road where he met his death. He’d left a suicide note at home.
“It was because of bullying,” Takara Jo Folk told the Item. “It was not about race or gender but they bullied him for his sexual preferences and the way he dressed. Which they wrongly accused him of.”
His death came just days after an anti-bullying assembly was held at the school. Student Briana Boyer said the students didn’t take the assembly seriously and joked about it.
- Gay man charged with threatening U.S. senators released by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on June 28, 2016
- House hearing for ‘religious freedom’ bill set for July 12 by Chris Johnson | posted on June 29, 2016
- New PAC debuts amid energized LGBT gun control efforts by Chris Johnson | posted on June 29, 2016
- Gay singer gets standing ovation on ‘America’s Got Talent’ by Mariah Cooper | posted on June 29, 2016
- Lady Gaga banned from China after meeting Dalai Lama by Mariah Cooper | posted on June 28, 2016