Students at Midd-West High School in Middleburg, Pa., are mourning the suicide of a freshman who ran in front of a truck at 3 a.m. Saturday morning, according to the Daily Item, a regional newspaper.
Brandon Bitner, 14, had been a victim of intense bullying students told the Item. He walked about 13 miles from his home to a busy road where he met his death. He’d left a suicide note at home.
“It was because of bullying,” Takara Jo Folk told the Item. “It was not about race or gender but they bullied him for his sexual preferences and the way he dressed. Which they wrongly accused him of.”
His death came just days after an anti-bullying assembly was held at the school. Student Briana Boyer said the students didn’t take the assembly seriously and joked about it.
- Cleveland cancels Pride amid safety concerns by Mariah Cooper | posted on July 29, 2016
- Andrew Cray remembered for contributions to LGBT health by Chris Johnson | posted on September 3, 2014
- Quotidian explores obscure Chekhov with ‘Lady With the Little Dog’ by Patrick Folliard | posted on July 28, 2016
- Orlando-area Republicans back Fla. anti-discrimination bill by Michael K. Lavers | posted on July 29, 2016
- James Buchanan: America’s first gay president? by WBadmin | posted on October 4, 2011