2011 was a big year in LGBT news: from the implementation of the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ to the recognition of same-sex civil marriage in New York. Here are some of the highlights of the year from the Washington Blade photo archive.
(Washington Blade photos by Pete Exis and Michael Key)
17th Street Festival2011Alicia KeysBarack ObamabisexualBonobullyingCapital PrideCapital Queer PromCapital Trans PrideCarlos MejiaDADTDan SavagedancingDCGFFLDining Out for LifeDon't AskDon't Telldrag queenEmpire State BuildingFashion WeekFEMSFlag FootballFrank KamenygayGay and Lesbian Liaison UnitGay Men's Chorus of WashingtonGLLUGMCWHelen Hayes Awardshigh heel raceHomepage Photo GalleryHRCHRC storeHugo BossHuman Rights CampaignJ. Paul Oetkenjennifer hollidayJohn BerryJoint Session of CongressKevin NaffLashai McleanLeon PanettalesbianLGBTLilli VincenzLong View GalleryMALmarriage equalityMartin O'MalleyMary WashingtonMarylandMayor's Office of GLBT AffairsMetropolitan Police DepartmentMichelle ObamaMid-Atlantic Leather WeekendMike MullenMPDNYC PrideOsama bin LadenPeter FoxphotographyProject Empowermentsame-sex marriageSarah Jessica ParkerServicemembers Legal Defense NetworkSLDNTammy BaldwinTerry MillertransgenderVida FitnessVincent GrayWhite HouseWill C StylesWorld AIDS DayYear in Review
Michael Key has worked as a photojournalist for the Washington Blade since 2009 and is currently serving as the photo editor. He has worked on Capitol Hill, in the White House, on the campaign trail and in cities along the East Coast taking iconic photos documenting the extension of marriage benefits to same-sex couples, the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and other events of interest to the LGBT community. Follow Michael
Support LGBTQ Journalism.
Donate to the Blade Foundation.
- Trump administration: Transgender inclusion in school sports violates law by Chris Johnson | posted on May 28, 2020
- ACT UP march, demonstration to honor Larry Kramer by Michael K. Lavers | posted on May 28, 2020
- Bowser lifts stay-at-home order in first phase of D.C. reopening by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on May 28, 2020
- theatreWashington prez Austin moved quickly to cushion COVID-19 hardships by Patrick Folliard | posted on May 28, 2020
- Coronavirus upends campaign season as D.C. primary nears by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on May 29, 2020