September 2, 2010 | by Chris Johnson
Fiorina invokes Obama in opposition to same-sex marriage

The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in California on Wednesday invoked President Obama’s opposition to same-sex marriage while explaining her position against marriage rights for gay couples.

Carly Fiorina, who’s seeking to unseat U.S. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), said during a debate she believes marriage is between one man and one woman and expressed support for civil unions.

“And actually, the position I’ve consistently espoused is consistent with that of our president and a vast majority of senators in the U.S. Senate,” she said.

Fiorina also said the Defense of Marriage Act, which prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriage, passed with “broad bipartisan support” in 1996. Her support for this law is actually inconsistent with the position of Obama, who has called the law discriminatory and said it should be repealed.

Additionally, Fiorina also suggested she disagrees with the decision made by U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker last month in favor of overturning Proposition 8, a ban on same-sex marriage approved by California voters in 2008.

“Whatever your view about gay marriage, I think many of us would conclude that when voters have such a clear decision, for that decision to be overturned by a single judge seems perhaps not appropriate,” she said.

Fiorina added she supports repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and is awaiting the Pentagon’s study on the issue due Dec. 1.

In response to Fiorina’s comments, Boxer reiterated her support for same-sex marriage, recalling the 2008 decision of the California State Supreme Court that temporarily extended marriage rights to same-sex couples in the California.

“The only way to get the rights that married couples have is to go for marriage equality,” Boxer said. “And I’m glad to say, I believe people are coming around to seeing it.”

[h/t] wonkroom.thinkprogress.org

Watch the video of this portion of the debate here:

Chris Johnson is Chief Political & White House Reporter for the Washington Blade. Johnson attends the daily White House press briefings and is a member of the White House Correspondents' Association. Follow Chris

12 Comments
  • “Whatever your view about gay marriage, I think many of us would conclude that when voters have such a clear decision, for that decision to be overturned by a single judge seems perhaps not appropriate,” she said.

    Clear decision? Wasn’t it 52% to 48%? Only 39% of the populace voted for Prop. 8. The other 61% either voted against it, or didn’t bother to vote at all. 39% is hardly a clear decision.

    Apparently, Ms. Fiorina doesn’t know how our legal system works. If a federal judge determines that an amendment is unconstitutional, they have a responsibility to rule as such. — So apparently she’s okay with nine judges overruling the “will of the people”, but not one judge.

  • ““Whatever your view about gay marriage, I think many of us would conclude that when voters have such a clear decision, for that decision to be overturned by a single judge seems perhaps not appropriate,” she said”

    I can’t believe we allowed judges to overturn the peoples vote to ban interracial marriage and woman’s rights!

  • ‘“Whatever your view about gay marriage, I think many of us would conclude that when voters have such a clear decision, for that decision to be overturned by a single judge seems perhaps not appropriate,” she said.’

    She should take a refresher course in middle-school civics before running for Senate.

© Copyright Brown, Naff, Pitts Omnimedia, Inc. 2014. All rights reserved.
Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin