Connect with us

Local

Local news in brief

Minister denounces HRC silence on Wone verdict & more

Published

on

Minister denounces HRC silence on Wone verdict

A D.C. minister who emerged as an outspoken opponent of the city’s same-sex marriage law has denounced the Human Rights Campaign and other LGBT groups for not speaking out against the acquittal of three gay men implicated in the Robert Wone murder case.

Rev. Anthony Evans, president of the National Black Church Initiative, was referencing a D.C. Superior Court judge’s decision June 29 acquitting Joseph Price, Victor Zaborsky and Dylan Ward of charges stemming from the 2006 murder of local attorney Robert Wone.

Judge Lynn Leibovitz, who presided over the non-jury trial, ruled that prosecutors failed to provide sufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the three defendants committed any crimes.

“In the past, the National Black Church Initiative has spoken out against violence against homosexuals,” Evans said in his July 21 statement. “But none of the local or national gay groups have spoken out against this miscarriage of justice.

“Outcries are heard loud and clear when these organizations or members of their community are wronged,” he said. “What kind of hypocrisy is at play when they refuse to respond when homosexuals perpetrate a wrong?”

Michael Cole, an HRC spokesperson, said the group speaks out on hate crimes against gays and other minorities, but it’s not within its purview to comment on other criminal cases. Police and prosecutors did not classify the Wone case as a hate crime.

“We follow and comment on issues of crimes against our community because one of the critical pieces of work that we deal with is protecting our community from hate crimes,” Cole said.

David Greer, one of three gay editors of the Who Murdered Robert Wone blog, said the editors and numerous contributors to the blog have spoken out in the blog on what they consider the injustice of the unsolved Wone murder.

LOU CHIBBARO JR.

Rehoboth attack not bias-related: police

The assault and robbery of a gay man on the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk was one of at least four muggings in the popular resort town over the past two weeks and does not appear to be a hate crime, according to Rehoboth’s police chief.

But Stephen Gerard, the victim of the July 17 boardwalk mugging, said the trauma of the attack was heightened when two police officers responding to the scene asked him if he provoked the incident by making a pass at one or more of the perpetrators.

“The officers who took my statement were skeptical of me,” he said in an e-mail. “They determined I was gay and accused me of looking for prostitutes who frequent that end of the beach.”

Gerard said the incident was unprovoked and took place seconds after he walked past a group of about five young men who were hanging around a bench on the boardwalk.

“After I passed them, I noticed a shadow coming from behind to the left,” he said. “Then everything went black. When I awoke, I was bleeding profusely and my wallet was stolen. A straight couple nearby called 911.”

Gerard was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital, where he was treated and released.

Rehoboth Police Chief Keith Banks told the Blade he regrets that Gerard interpreted the officers’ questions as being accusatory. He noted that the south end of the boardwalk — where Gerard was attacked — has been known as a gay male cruising spot and that some gays have been targeted for assaults there in past years.

“For a very long time we haven’t had anything like this,” Banks said, so when Gerard’s case surfaced last week, the officers arriving at the scene wanted to cover every possible angle.

“As soon as I saw that, I was in contact with the officers working that night, the shift commander, to see what exactly was going on, if it could have been handled better, how it was worded,” he said. “We don’t want to add any more trauma to a victim. I can assure you of that. We want to get these guys just as bad. We have a wonderful community here and we don’t want it harmed by some thugs doing this type of crime.”

Banks said the victims in the other three incidents are not believed to be gay. He said each gave similar descriptions of the attackers, leading police to believe the same group of perpetrators is committing the muggings.

LOU CHIBBARO JR.

Lesbian chef challenges Dupont restrictions

The acclaimed chef and owner of the Dupont Circle restaurant Hank’s Oyster Bar, who is lesbian, has created a stir by challenging a longstanding city practice backed by some civic groups calling for restaurants and bars to agree to certain restrictions on their operations.

The restrictions are outlined in documents known as voluntary agreements, which Advisory Neighborhood Commissions and some neighborhood activists have demanded in exchange for not opposing a business’s liquor license. Nightlife advocates, gay and straight alike, have complained that the voluntary agreements are forced upon the businesses and unfairly impose restrictions, such as early closing hours and bans on dancing or entertainment, that are not required by law.

Supporters of the agreements say they are needed to protect residential areas from noise and other disturbances that they say some bars, restaurants and nightlife venues create.

Hank’s Oyster Bar owner Jamie Leeds has applied for permission with the D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to expand her popular restaurant to an adjacent building near 17th and Q streets, N.W. She has requested that the voluntary agreement she signed five years ago when she opened the restaurant be terminated because, among other reasons, it forbids her from expanding to a larger space.

In a development viewed as recognition of Hank’s as a well-liked and trouble-free business, the Dupont Circle Advisory Neighborhood Commission voted not to challenge Leeds’ expansion proposal or demand she sign a new voluntary agreement.

But the Dupont Circle Citizens Association and five nearby residents filed challenges with the liquor board requesting that it reject her request to terminate the voluntary agreement. The challengers say they are open to negotiating an amended voluntary agreement that might allow Hank’s to expand into the adjacent building if Leeds complies with various restrictions.

Nightlife advocates have hailed Leeds for standing up to what they call unfair and unreasonable restrictions imposed in voluntary agreements.

David Mallof and Alexis Rieffel, two of the residents opposed to dropping the agreement, say in their challenge that any decision by the liquor board approving Leeds’ request “would be widely viewed as aggressive, anti-resident regulatory behavior.” The two called for the board to reject a “sweeping, draconian, unwarranted, and overreaching possible termination of an appropriately and legally promulgated, valid and in-force, mutually and contractually agreed upon voluntary agreement.”

LOU CHIBBARO JR.

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

District of Columbia

D.C. police arrest man for burglary at gay bar Spark Social House  

Suspect ID’d from images captured by Spark Social House security cameras

Published

on

Spark Social House (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

D.C. police on Feb. 18 arrested a 63-year-old man “of no fixed address” for allegedly stealing cash from the registers at the gay bar Spark Social House after unlawfully entering the bar at 2009 14th St., N.W., around 12:04 a.m. after it had closed for business, according to a police incident report.

“Later that day officers canvassing for the suspect located him nearby,” a separate police statement says. “63-year-old Tony Jones of no fixed address was arrested and charged with Burglary II,” the statement says.

The police incident report states that the bar’s owner, Nick Tsusaki, told police investigators that the bar’s security cameras captured the image of a man who has frequently visited the bar and was believed to be homeless.

“Once inside, the defendant was observed via the establishment’s security cameras opening the cash register, removing U.S. currency, and placing the currency into the left front pocket of his jacket,” the report says.

Tsusaki told the Washington Blade that he and Spark’s employees have allowed Jones to enter the bar many times since it opened last year to use the bathroom in a gesture of compassion knowing he was homeless. Tsusaki said he is not aware of Jones ever having purchased anything during his visits.

According to Tsusaki, Spark closed for business at around 10:30 p.m. on the night of the incident at which time an employee did not properly lock the front entrance door. He said no employees or customers were present when the security cameras show Jones entering Spark through the front door around 12:04 a.m. 

Tsusaki said the security camera images show Jones had been inside Spark for about three hours on the night of the burglary and show him taking cash out of two cash registers. He took a total of $300, Tsusaki said.

When Tsusaki and Spark employees arrived at the bar later in the day and discovered the cash was missing from the registers they immediately called police, Tsusaki told the Blade. Knowing that Jones often hung out along the 2000 block of 14th Street where Spark is located, Tsusaki said he went outside to look for him and saw him across the street and pointed Jones out to police, who then placed him under arrest.

A police arrest affidavit filed in court states that at the time they arrested him police found the stolen cash inside the pocket of the jacket Jones was wearing. It says after taking him into police custody officers found a powdered substance in a Ziploc bag also in Jones’s possession that tested positive for cocaine, resulting in him being charged with cocaine possession in addition to the burglary charge.

D.C. Superior Court records show a judge ordered Jones held in preventive detention at a Feb. 19 presentment hearing. The judge then scheduled a preliminary hearing for the case on Feb. 20, the outcome of which couldn’t immediately be obtained. 

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Judge rescinds order against activist in Capital Pride lawsuit

Darren Pasha accused of stalking organization staff, board members, volunteers

Published

on

Darren Pasha (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

A D.C. Superior Court judge on Feb.18 agreed to rescind his earlier ruling declaring local gay activist Darren Pasha in default for failing to attend a virtual court hearing regarding an anti-stalking lawsuit brought against him by the Capital Pride Alliance, the group that organizes D.C.’s annual Pride events.

The Capital Pride lawsuit, initially filed on Oct. 27, 2025, accuses Pasha of engaging in a year-long “course of conduct” of “harassment, intimidation, threats, manipulation, and coercive behavior” targeting Capital Pride staff, board members, and volunteers.

In his own court filings without retaining an attorney, Pasha has strongly denied the stalking related allegations against him, saying “no credible or admissible evidence has been provided” to show he engaged in any wrongdoing. 

Judge Robert D. Okum nevertheless on Feb. 6 approved a temporary stay-away order requiring Pasha to stay at least 100 feet away from Capital Pride’s staff, volunteers, and board members until the time of a follow-up court hearing scheduled for April 17. He reduced the stay-away distance from 200 yards as requested by Capital Pride.

In his two-page order issued on Feb. 18, Okun stated that Pasha explained that he was involved in a scooter accident in which he was injured and his phone was damaged, preventing him from joining the Feb. 6 court hearing.

“Therefore, the court finds there is a good cause for vacating the default,” Okun states in his order.

At the time he initially approved the default order at the Feb. 6 hearing that Pasha didn’t attend, Okun scheduled an April 17 ex parte proof hearing in which Capital Pride could have requested a ruling in its favor seeking a permanent anti-stalking order against Pasha.

In his Feb. 18 ruling rescinding the default order Okun changed the April 17 ex parte proof hearing to an initial scheduling conference hearing in which a decision on the outcome of the case is not likely to happen.

In addition, he agreed to consider Pasha’s call for a jury trial and gave Capital Pride 14 days to contest that request. The Capital Pride lawsuit initially called for a non-jury trial by judge.

One request by Pasha that Okum denied was a call for him to order Capital Pride to stop its staff or volunteers from posting information about the lawsuit on social media. Pasha has said the D.C.-based online blog called DC Homos, which Pasha claims is operated by someone associated with Capital Pride, has been posting articles portraying him in a negative light and subjecting him to highly negative publicity.

“The defendant has not set forth a sufficient basis for the court to restrict the plaintiff’s social media postings, and the court therefore will deny the defendant’s request in his social media praecipe,” Okun states in his order. 

A praecipe is a formal written document requesting action by a court.

Pasha called the order a positive development in his favor. He said he plans to file another motion with more information about what he calls the unfair and defamatory reports about him related to the lawsuit by DC Homos, with a call for the judge to reverse his decision not to order Capital Pride to stop social media postings about the lawsuit.    

Pasha points to a video interview on the LGBTQ Team Rayceen broadcast, a link to which he sent to the Washington Blade, in which DC Homos operator Jose Romero acknowledged his association with Capital Pride Alliance.

Capital Pride Executive Director Ryan Bos didn’t immediately respond to a message from the Blade asking whether Romero was a volunteer or employee with Capital Pride. 

Pasha also said he believes the latest order has the effect of rescinding the temporary stay away order against him approved by Okun in his earlier ruling, even though Okun makes no mention of the stay away order in his latest ruling. Capital Pride attorney Nick Harrison told the Blade the stay away order “remains in full force and effect.”

Harrison said Capital Pride has no further comment on the lawsuit.

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Trans activists arrested outside HHS headquarters in D.C.

Protesters demonstrated directive against gender-affirming care

Published

on

(Photo by Alexa B. Wilkinson)

Authorities on Tuesday arrested 24 activists outside the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services headquarters in D.C.

The Gender Liberation Movement, a national organization that uses direct action, media engagement, and policy advocacy to defend bodily autonomy and self-determination, organized the protest in which more than 50 activists participated. Organizers said the action was a response to changes in federal policy mandated by Executive Order 14187, titled “Protecting Children from Chemical and Surgical Mutilation.”

The order directs federal agencies and programs to work toward “significantly limiting youth access to gender-affirming care nationwide,” according to KFF, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that provides independent, fact-based information on national health issues. The executive order also includes claims about gender-affirming care and transgender youth that critics have described as misinformation.

Members of ACT UP NY and ACT UP Pittsburgh also participated in the demonstration, which took place on the final day of the public comment period for proposed federal rules that would restrict access to gender-affirming care.

Demonstrators blocked the building’s main entrance, holding a banner reading “HANDS OFF OUR ‘MONES,” while chanting, “HHS—RFK—TRANS YOUTH ARE NO DEBATE” and “NO HATE—NO FEAR—TRANS YOUTH ARE WELCOME HERE.”

“We want trans youth and their loving families to know that we see them, we cherish them, and we won’t let these attacks go on without a fight,” said GLM co-founder Raquel Willis. “We also want all Americans to understand that Trump, RFK, and their HHS won’t stop at trying to block care for trans youth — they’re coming for trans adults, for those who need treatment from insulin to SSRIs, and all those already failed by a broken health insurance system.”

“It is shameful and intentional that this administration is pitting communities against one another by weaponizing Medicaid funding to strip care from trans youth. This has nothing to do with protecting health and everything to do with political distraction,” added GLM co-founder Eliel Cruz. “They are targeting young people to deflect from their failure to deliver for working families across the country. Instead of restricting care, we should be expanding it. Healthcare is a human right, and it must be accessible to every person — without cost or exception.”

(Photo by Cole Witter)

Despite HHS’s efforts to restrict gender-affirming care for trans youth, major medical associations — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Endocrine Society — continue to regard such care as evidence-based treatment. Gender-affirming care can include psychotherapy, social support, and, when clinically appropriate, puberty blockers and hormone therapy.

The protest comes amid broader shifts in access to care nationwide. 

NYU Langone Health recently announced it will stop providing transition-related medical care to minors and will no longer accept new patients into its Transgender Youth Health Program following President Donald Trump’s January 2025 executive order targeting trans healthcare. 

Continue Reading

Popular