Local

New gay bar proposed for 14th Street

Tavern to include outdoor space, dance floor

gay bar, gay news, Washington Blade
gay bar, gay news, Washington Blade

A “comfortable” new tavern is slated to open at 1410 14th St., N.W.

John Guggenmos, co-owner of the D.C. gay bar Number Nine and the popular gay nightclub Town Danceboutique, told a meeting of the Logan Circle Advisory Neighborhood Commission on July 1 that he and his business partner plan to open a “comfortable” new tavern at 1410 14th St., N.W., according to a report by Borderstan, a neighborhood blog.

John Fanning, the gay chair of ANC 2F, which has jurisdiction over the Logan Circle area, said he and his seven fellow commission members voted unanimously at the July 1 meeting to support a pending application for a liquor license for the as-yet-unnamed new tavern.

He said the vote included the approval of a settlement agreement between the new tavern and the ANC that includes certain restrictions common to new businesses.

“We think it will be a nice addition to the neighborhood,” said Fanning, who noted that a planned “summer garden” with outdoor seating in the rear of the building where the tavern hopes to open will bring about a clean-up of the alley adjacent to the building.

Although Guggenmos did not mention during his presentation at the ANC meeting whether the new tavern will be billed as a gay club, Fanning said Guggenmos told him it would cater to a gay clientele.

“It is going to be a gay club,” said Fanning. “He is catering to the gay community. He told me that.”

Borderstan reported that the tavern hopes to include a small dance floor and live DJs.

1. lnm3921

July 9, 2015 at 7:44 pm

We need more places that cater specifically to the gay community. There seems to be no place to go anymore where you can find a crowd of others like yourself anymore it’s a shame.

And for those of you that feel you don’t need gay specific places to patronize, that’s you. Don’t stand in the way of those of us that do!

• Cole Carter

July 10, 2015 at 10:44 am

For those of you who feel you need to be with others like you, you are totally missing the point of all of the struggles the community has fought in order to achieve equality. I’m sure you will be “welcoming” to ALL who enter your “like kind” establishment, where you can be with others like you. You are a living example of hypocrisy. I personally, am like everyone else.

• uhhuhh

July 10, 2015 at 11:36 am

You’re a mouthy idiot.

• Cole Carter

July 15, 2015 at 12:39 pm

And well within my rights. All opinions matter, not just yours, or those like yours.

• uhhuhh

July 15, 2015 at 12:49 pm

I didn’t say you don’t have a right to be a mouthy idiot. I said you are a mouthy idiot.

• lnm3921

July 10, 2015 at 7:35 pm

First of all, do not be so pretentious as to think you can lecture me on the point of the struggles of the GLBT community to achieve equality. I’ve been fighting for over thirty years and my struggle has been to assure that I can’t be discriminated against for being gay in employment, housing, services and accommodations and to live openly without fearing violence without recourse. Marriage equality is a bonus but that is only good if you’re lucky enough to have someone in your life you want to marry in the first place and not everyone does.

It’s never been about making the point for having a GLBT community irrelevant. Just like racial minorities seek out their own for strength, solidarity, a common point of view, mutual understanding and companionship why can’t we? I’m not going to be able to relate to gay culture or interest with most heterosexuals especially hetero men. However, that doesn’t mean I can’t also have heterosexual friends and socialize with them. I just don’t want to do it all the time.

That said, what the hell does achieving equality have to do with my desire to be around other gay people and have a place where I can go and find them? I live in a heterosexual world 24/7. I work for and with heterosexuals. My neighbors are heterosexual and pretty much everywhere I go I can assume everyone else is heterosexual. While I don’t want to live in a gay ghetto, that doesn’t mean I don’t want gay predominate neighborhoods either where again I can meet my own.

I don’t like bars in general. I don’t drink and I only go to meet and be around other gay men. In general, I can’t go anywhere and be sure that the people around me are also gay. I can’t even show interest in another guy without being concerned that he will be offended or worse. When I go out I want to feel like I don’t have to walk on eggshells around other people wondering if the men around me are gay or not.

I’d actually like to meet someone as a potential partner. I’m not expecting that to happen in a heterosexual venue and online isn’t much better as an option.

Frankly, if you assume everyone accepts you as yourself everywhere you are living in a fantasy. Many people still hate you for being gay and don’t welcome you around them especially if you have a partner and show overt affection like kissing or holding hands. Many heteros don’t want to see it.

• Cole Carter

July 15, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Again, you prove my point. You don’t want to blend, but to segregate.

• uhhuhh

July 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Actually, you just proved his point: that you’re a petulant child who has no credibility to lecture grown-up gay men about anything.

Do you think you’re the first little boy we’ve encountered whose internalized homophobia comes out as a shrieking demand to assimilate?

• lnm3921

July 15, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Again, you fail to get the point missy! Celebrating diversity means not assimilating! Equality to me doesn’t mean losing my cultural identity as a gay person or losing ties to my GLBT community. What’s the point of coming out if the goal is to become invisible just like you were before?

Just like immigrants want to keep their ethnic identity and teach their children their language in lieu of ditching it to become American and only learn English. That doesn’t mean they can’t be bi-lingual and know English and be proud to be American.

Irish, African-Americans, Italians, and other racial groups march to celebrate who they are. They join organizations celebrating their heritage. They seek out their own. We still have China Towns. We have Black History Month. We have other history months. Those groups have achieved more equality than we have but still don’t abandon who they are or seeking out their own.

We have Black Gay Pride celebrations in DC not just an overall gay pride. People care about their individuality as a group, celebrate it and want to share it with others like them.

Let me be blunt. I don’t want to fade into the heterosexual community. I never will and I make no apologies for it! None are required. If you don’t like it then tough suck it up. It’s your problem NOT mine!

Keep living in your heterosexual world exclusively and when you someday get your butt kicked for being yourself by someone who thinks you are disgusting maybe you’ll finally get it.

• lnm3921

July 15, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The point is on the top of your head!

Local

Comings & Goings

Umana named associate with Gustafson Guthrie Nichol

Wolfgang Umana (Photo courtesy of Umana)

The Comings & Goings column is about sharing the professional successes of our community. We want to recognize those landing new jobs, new clients for their business, joining boards of organizations and other achievements. Please share your successes with us at: [email protected]

Congratulations to Wolfgang Umana on being named an associate with Gustafson Guthrie Nichol (GGN). He has been with them for more than five years and is currently its D.C. studio’s office manager.

“I am honored to become GGN’s newest Associate,” Umana said.I have the glorious privilege of supporting GGN’s continuing dedication to progress, inclusion, social justice, sustainability, and beautification of the world we live in.”

Umana also works with NBR Computer Consulting as an LLC Computer Technician consultant. He has experience in social media, communications, outreach, and technical services, and provides a dynamic approach to the fast-changing world of technology. NBR Computer Consulting, LLC is a gay-owned business.

Umana has also served as D.C. Army National Guard Director of Environmental Affairs and with EMS Consultation Services.

He has his bachelor’s in Environmental Science & Public Policy, Human and Ecosystem Response to Climate Change, from George Mason University.

Local

Capital Pride bids for D.C. to host World Pride 2025

International event draws thousands of visitors

Confetti rained down in New York’s Times Square at Stonewall 50 WorldPride New York’s closing ceremony two years ago. D.C. organizers hope to host the event in 2025. (Blade photo by Lou Chibbaro, Jr.)

The Capital Pride Alliance, the group that organizes D.C.’s annual LGBTQ Pride events, announced on Sept. 21 that it has submitted a bid to host 2025 World Pride, the international Pride event that draws thousands of participants from throughout the world to the host city.

The announcement by Capital Pride says its bid to host the event in D.C. notes that the event, among other things, would commemorate the 50th anniversary of D.C.’s first LGBTQ Pride event in 1975, which began as a block party near Dupont Circle.

World Pride is licensed and administered by the international LGBTQ organization InterPride. The World Pride events themselves, which usually take place every other year, are organized by InterPride’s member organizations such as Capital Pride Alliance.

The Capital Pride announcement notes that World Pride “promotes visibility and awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ+) issues on a global level.” The announcement adds, “World Pride events include parades, marches, festivals and other cultural activities often enjoyed at Pride celebrations, along with other components such as a human rights conference and large-scale opening and closing ceremonies.”

The InterPride website says the deadline for submitting a bid for the 2025 World Pride has passed. It says D.C.’s Capital Pride and Kaohsiung Pride, located in the large Taiwan port city of Kaohsiung, are the only two remaining cities in competition for hosting the 2025 World Pride.

Ryan Bos, Capital Pride’s executive director, said InterPride was expected to make its decision on which of the two cities to select sometime in November of this year.

“A recent study conducted by Booz Allen Hamilton revealed that the annual Capital Pride Celebrations, during normal years, result in approximately $371 million in positive economic impacts to the region, a number that may be doubled if the organization is awarded the prestigious event,” the Capital Pride statement says.

The 2021 World Pride took place earlier this year in Copenhagen, Denmark. The 2019 World Pride was held in New York City to commemorate the 50th anniversary of New York’s Stonewall riots, which many activists consider the start of the modern LGBTQ rights movement.

InterPride says the 2023 World Pride will take place in Sydney, Australia.

Local

Va. county supervisors back resolution against ‘required’ pronoun questions

Unanimous vote in Stafford County allows school defunding

What's Your Pronoun? review, gay news, Washington Blade
(Image courtesy of Liveright Publishing)

The Stafford County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution that gives it the authority to deny funds to schools that require students to give their pronouns and teach the 1619 Project and critical race theory.

The resolution denounces “the teaching of the 1619 Project and critical race theory (CRT) and related principles in Stafford County Public Schools,” and states the board does not support Stafford County Public School students “being required to identify their chosen pronouns.”

The approved document had been updated to change “requested” to give pronouns to “required.”

Republican Supervisor Gary Snellings told the board he brought the resolution forward, which passed by a 6-0 vote margin, in response to communication from parents. One supervisor was not present.

Snellings called critical race theory “racism.” He also called the New York Times’ 1619 Project published on the 400th anniversary of the arrival of enslaved Africans to the Virginia colony a “theory.”

Critical race theory is not taught in Virginia public schools, but a state law passed in 2020 requires local school boards to adopt policies that are more inclusive for transgender and non-binary students that follow, or exceed, guidelines from the state’s Department of Education.

Snellings said the problem with preferred pronouns was in requiring students to give them. He said that was not in the governing Virginia law.

“This (resolution) does not eliminate anything. It just follows state law,” Snellings said.

A Virginia court in July dismissed a lawsuit that challenged the Department of Education’s guidelines for trans and non-binary students. Equality Virginia and the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia were parties to the amicus brief in support of the protections.

“We are deeply disappointed that these adults made such a hateful decision for kids in the community,” tweeted the ACLU of Virginia in response to the board’s vote.