Connect with us

Local

Baltimore Eagle ready to fly again

Final hearing on liquor license set for Sept. 22

Published

on

Baltimore Eagle, gay news, Washington Blade

The newly renovated exterior of Baltimore’s Eagle bar. (Washington Blade photo by Steve Charing)

Since the iconic leather bar the Baltimore Eagle closed its doors in December 2012, its path to reopening has been bumpy to say the least. But after years of delays, the bar owners and managers have navigated myriad obstacles and are poised to reopen soon following extensive renovations that have increased the area of the original bar and added a restaurant, store and entertainment area.

It wasn’t easy getting to this point.

Unforeseen problems with the building’s structure and huge amounts of trash were discovered soon after the building, located at 2022 N. Charles Street, was purchased by local developers Ian Parrish and Charles Parrish for $300,000. Walls had to be gutted and ceilings torn down. Delays in electrical line installation as well as other impediments were identified.

As a result, the 180-day requirement to complete construction was not met to satisfy the Baltimore Liquor Board, which denied the owners the license transfer in April 2015 following a contentious hearing the previous month.

Previous liquor boards had routinely waived the requirement when circumstances warranted, but a 2013 audit revealed corruption and other irregularities within the liquor board. The new board, appointed by then-Gov. Martin O’Malley and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake was given the charge to crack down on “zombie” licenses as well as other improprieties. The new commissioners rejected the arguments from the Parrishes and their attorney.

Undaunted, the project pushed on. “No other developer in this region wanted to touch the Baltimore Eagle project, and we still aim to prove them wrong,” Parrish told the Blade last November. “This team is moving forward. We’re spending over a million dollars to reconstruct the Baltimore Eagle because this building and this business are good for this city, because our neighbors want to go back to work, and because the loyal patrons of the Eagle are still hoping to return.”

As a back up, the Parrishes, who are longtime allies of the LGBT community, as well as the rest of the team, purchased the existing liquor license from Charles Bowers, the owner of the Club Hippo, which closed its doors last fall.     

The team, which had been hired to oversee the business in advance of the opening, designed a new concept for the Baltimore Eagle and construction continued while the decision was being appealed.

After mobilizing the community and working with nearby community associations, the Baltimore Eagle is poised to reopen soon. It received its entertainment license, and the final hearing to approve the liquor license transfer is set for Sept. 22.

“The applications have been submitted, reviewed and accepted by the Baltimore Liquor Board. The hearing is the final hurdle,” said Charles King, Baltimore Eagle General Manager. “We have backing by the Charles North Community Association, The Charles Village Civic Association and The Old Goucher Community Association, and there is an MOU in place as well that we have negotiated.” King said the attorney, Stephan Fogelman, told him that he sees no further barriers to reopening.

Besides Charles King, Robert Gasser is the food services and maintenance manager. John Gasser is the liquor store manager. Greg King is the Eagle Leathers store manager; they are all partners in the business. Miles Crakow is the director of social media and public relations.

“The bar itself will not just be one bar, but rather a collection of bars, restaurants, a leather and adult retail store, a package goods store, a lounge featuring a collection of leather community history and artifacts, and an event space inspired by Bohemian romance and cabaret nostalgia that will bring the NYC and Montreal music scene to Baltimore, all on multiple levels and taking a much larger footprint than the previous Eagle,” Crakow says.

He emphasizes that “the leather bar is the heart and soul of The Eagle’s rebirth and it will stand shoulder to shoulder with the other new businesses, all supporting each other.”

In addition, the Baltimore Eagle hired internationally trained master chef Ed Scholly who works at the Culinary Institute of Baltimore. He will operate the food program for at least a year, and catering will be available in the event space upstairs.

The opening date has not been set but it is expected in the near future. To thank the community for its patience, the owners are offering opportunities to purchase gift cards at reduced prices, collector silver pins, T-shirts and other memorabilia. Visit TheBaltimoreEagle.com or The Baltimore Eagle on Facebook for details and updates.

“We are so thrilled to open our doors very soon,” Charles King told the Blade. “We’re just finishing up construction before we get final inspections and permits. This has been the longest road of our lives, but we know it leads to an amazing place. I know the community will embrace our new venue and concepts. Details are so important, and we hope to impress even the most discerning guest. The best thing is that the LGBTQ community will have a brand new place to eat, drink and play and the leather community will once again have a home to be proud of.”

Community members share the enthusiasm. “With other LGBT bars closing in the area, the real significance is that the Baltimore Eagle will reopen,” Rodney Burger, longtime leather columnist and vice president of the Baltimore leather club Shipmates, told the Blade. “This will be a new Baltimore Eagle. Those who are looking for the old dark dive bar will be disappointed. As the LGBT community has changed so has the Baltimore Eagle.”

He added, “I hope the community supports the new Baltimore Eagle. The new owners are very excited that once again the Baltimore Eagle can be a safe space and gathering place for our community and a place where new memories can be made. I can’t wait.”

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

District of Columbia

D.C. police arrest man for burglary at gay bar Spark Social House  

Suspect ID’d from images captured by Spark Social House security cameras

Published

on

Spark Social House (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

D.C. police on Feb. 18 arrested a 63-year-old man “of no fixed address” for allegedly stealing cash from the registers at the gay bar Spark Social House after unlawfully entering the bar at 2009 14th St., N.W., around 12:04 a.m. after it had closed for business, according to a police incident report.

“Later that day officers canvassing for the suspect located him nearby,” a separate police statement says. “63-year-old Tony Jones of no fixed address was arrested and charged with Burglary II,” the statement says.

The police incident report states that the bar’s owner, Nick Tsusaki, told police investigators that the bar’s security cameras captured the image of a man who has frequently visited the bar and was believed to be homeless.

“Once inside, the defendant was observed via the establishment’s security cameras opening the cash register, removing U.S. currency, and placing the currency into the left front pocket of his jacket,” the report says.

Tsusaki told the Washington Blade that he and Spark’s employees have allowed Jones to enter the bar many times since it opened last year to use the bathroom in a gesture of compassion knowing he was homeless. Tsusaki said he is not aware of Jones ever having purchased anything during his visits.

According to Tsusaki, Spark closed for business at around 10:30 p.m. on the night of the incident at which time an employee did not properly lock the front entrance door. He said no employees or customers were present when the security cameras show Jones entering Spark through the front door around 12:04 a.m. 

Tsusaki said the security camera images show Jones had been inside Spark for about three hours on the night of the burglary and show him taking cash out of two cash registers. He took a total of $300, Tsusaki said.

When Tsusaki and Spark employees arrived at the bar later in the day and discovered the cash was missing from the registers they immediately called police, Tsusaki told the Blade. Knowing that Jones often hung out along the 2000 block of 14th Street where Spark is located, Tsusaki said he went outside to look for him and saw him across the street and pointed Jones out to police, who then placed him under arrest.

A police arrest affidavit filed in court states that at the time they arrested him police found the stolen cash inside the pocket of the jacket Jones was wearing. It says after taking him into police custody officers found a powdered substance in a Ziploc bag also in Jones’s possession that tested positive for cocaine, resulting in him being charged with cocaine possession in addition to the burglary charge.

D.C. Superior Court records show a judge ordered Jones held in preventive detention at a Feb. 19 presentment hearing. The judge then scheduled a preliminary hearing for the case on Feb. 20, the outcome of which couldn’t immediately be obtained. 

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Judge rescinds order against activist in Capital Pride lawsuit

Darren Pasha accused of stalking organization staff, board members, volunteers

Published

on

Darren Pasha (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

A D.C. Superior Court judge on Feb.18 agreed to rescind his earlier ruling declaring local gay activist Darren Pasha in default for failing to attend a virtual court hearing regarding an anti-stalking lawsuit brought against him by the Capital Pride Alliance, the group that organizes D.C.’s annual Pride events.

The Capital Pride lawsuit, initially filed on Oct. 27, 2025, accuses Pasha of engaging in a year-long “course of conduct” of “harassment, intimidation, threats, manipulation, and coercive behavior” targeting Capital Pride staff, board members, and volunteers.

In his own court filings without retaining an attorney, Pasha has strongly denied the stalking related allegations against him, saying “no credible or admissible evidence has been provided” to show he engaged in any wrongdoing. 

Judge Robert D. Okum nevertheless on Feb. 6 approved a temporary stay-away order requiring Pasha to stay at least 100 feet away from Capital Pride’s staff, volunteers, and board members until the time of a follow-up court hearing scheduled for April 17. He reduced the stay-away distance from 200 yards as requested by Capital Pride.

In his two-page order issued on Feb. 18, Okun stated that Pasha explained that he was involved in a scooter accident in which he was injured and his phone was damaged, preventing him from joining the Feb. 6 court hearing.

“Therefore, the court finds there is a good cause for vacating the default,” Okun states in his order.

At the time he initially approved the default order at the Feb. 6 hearing that Pasha didn’t attend, Okun scheduled an April 17 ex parte proof hearing in which Capital Pride could have requested a ruling in its favor seeking a permanent anti-stalking order against Pasha.

In his Feb. 18 ruling rescinding the default order Okun changed the April 17 ex parte proof hearing to an initial scheduling conference hearing in which a decision on the outcome of the case is not likely to happen.

In addition, he agreed to consider Pasha’s call for a jury trial and gave Capital Pride 14 days to contest that request. The Capital Pride lawsuit initially called for a non-jury trial by judge.

One request by Pasha that Okum denied was a call for him to order Capital Pride to stop its staff or volunteers from posting information about the lawsuit on social media. Pasha has said the D.C.-based online blog called DC Homos, which Pasha claims is operated by someone associated with Capital Pride, has been posting articles portraying him in a negative light and subjecting him to highly negative publicity.

“The defendant has not set forth a sufficient basis for the court to restrict the plaintiff’s social media postings, and the court therefore will deny the defendant’s request in his social media praecipe,” Okun states in his order. 

A praecipe is a formal written document requesting action by a court.

Pasha called the order a positive development in his favor. He said he plans to file another motion with more information about what he calls the unfair and defamatory reports about him related to the lawsuit by DC Homos, with a call for the judge to reverse his decision not to order Capital Pride to stop social media postings about the lawsuit.    

Pasha points to a video interview on the LGBTQ Team Rayceen broadcast, a link to which he sent to the Washington Blade, in which DC Homos operator Jose Romero acknowledged his association with Capital Pride Alliance.

Capital Pride Executive Director Ryan Bos didn’t immediately respond to a message from the Blade asking whether Romero was a volunteer or employee with Capital Pride. 

Pasha also said he believes the latest order has the effect of rescinding the temporary stay away order against him approved by Okun in his earlier ruling, even though Okun makes no mention of the stay away order in his latest ruling. Capital Pride attorney Nick Harrison told the Blade the stay away order “remains in full force and effect.”

Harrison said Capital Pride has no further comment on the lawsuit.

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Trans activists arrested outside HHS headquarters in D.C.

Protesters demonstrated directive against gender-affirming care

Published

on

(Photo by Alexa B. Wilkinson)

Authorities on Tuesday arrested 24 activists outside the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services headquarters in D.C.

The Gender Liberation Movement, a national organization that uses direct action, media engagement, and policy advocacy to defend bodily autonomy and self-determination, organized the protest in which more than 50 activists participated. Organizers said the action was a response to changes in federal policy mandated by Executive Order 14187, titled “Protecting Children from Chemical and Surgical Mutilation.”

The order directs federal agencies and programs to work toward “significantly limiting youth access to gender-affirming care nationwide,” according to KFF, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that provides independent, fact-based information on national health issues. The executive order also includes claims about gender-affirming care and transgender youth that critics have described as misinformation.

Members of ACT UP NY and ACT UP Pittsburgh also participated in the demonstration, which took place on the final day of the public comment period for proposed federal rules that would restrict access to gender-affirming care.

Demonstrators blocked the building’s main entrance, holding a banner reading “HANDS OFF OUR ‘MONES,” while chanting, “HHS—RFK—TRANS YOUTH ARE NO DEBATE” and “NO HATE—NO FEAR—TRANS YOUTH ARE WELCOME HERE.”

“We want trans youth and their loving families to know that we see them, we cherish them, and we won’t let these attacks go on without a fight,” said GLM co-founder Raquel Willis. “We also want all Americans to understand that Trump, RFK, and their HHS won’t stop at trying to block care for trans youth — they’re coming for trans adults, for those who need treatment from insulin to SSRIs, and all those already failed by a broken health insurance system.”

“It is shameful and intentional that this administration is pitting communities against one another by weaponizing Medicaid funding to strip care from trans youth. This has nothing to do with protecting health and everything to do with political distraction,” added GLM co-founder Eliel Cruz. “They are targeting young people to deflect from their failure to deliver for working families across the country. Instead of restricting care, we should be expanding it. Healthcare is a human right, and it must be accessible to every person — without cost or exception.”

(Photo by Cole Witter)

Despite HHS’s efforts to restrict gender-affirming care for trans youth, major medical associations — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Endocrine Society — continue to regard such care as evidence-based treatment. Gender-affirming care can include psychotherapy, social support, and, when clinically appropriate, puberty blockers and hormone therapy.

The protest comes amid broader shifts in access to care nationwide. 

NYU Langone Health recently announced it will stop providing transition-related medical care to minors and will no longer accept new patients into its Transgender Youth Health Program following President Donald Trump’s January 2025 executive order targeting trans healthcare. 

Continue Reading

Popular