The Capital Pride Alliance, which organizes D.C.’s annual LGBT Pride Parade and Festival in June, is inviting members of the LGBT community and their allies to submit nominations for its 2018 Pride Awards.
“Family, friends, colleagues, and allies are encouraged to nominate those who have made exceptional contributions to the LGBTQ+ community and have had a positive impact on the lives of others,” Capital Pride Alliance said in a statement.
“Every year we look forward to receiving the award nominations because they show the depth and breadth of experience, talent, and dedication in the LGBTQ+ community in the nation’s capital,” said Capital Pride Executive Director Ryan Bos.
“One of the highlights of Pride is honoring amazing individuals who and organizations that have been recommended by members of the community,” Bos said. “We encourage everyone to nominate a person or organization they believe deserves recognition.”
The Capital Pride statement says the deadline for submitting nominations for the awards is March 23. It says the criteria for various awards and entry forms for each of the award categories can be obtained at the Capital Pride website, capitalpride.org.
Following are the names and categories of the awards and honors:
• Capital Pride Hero Awards: These honor individuals who have “furthered the causes important to the LGBTQ+ community in the national capital region.” They have “brought about positive, significant, and lasting changes to our lives and our community.”
• Engender Spirits: “Those individuals who have been outstanding advocates, activists, and supporters of the transgender community.” They will be honored at the May 19 Capital Trans Pride event.
• Larry Stansbury Award: This honors “individuals who or organizations that provide exemplary contributions to the Pride movement.”
• Bill Miles Award: This award “honors an individual for providing outstanding volunteer service with Capital Pride.”
• Paving the Way Award: This award “honors those in public life who have shown courage and leadership in helping to advance the cause of LGBTQ+ rights.”