2019 was a year of milestones: from Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s historic presidential campaign to the passage of the Equality Act in the United States House of Representatives to the first National Trans Visibility March.
Here are some of the top photos in the Washington Blade archive from the past year.
ACAAffordable Care ActAlphonso DavidasylumBaltimoreBob WilliamsCasa RubyCity WineryCompassD.C.David CicillineDemocratic PartyDistrict of ColumbiaEbone BellEleanor Holmes NortonElection 2020Elizabeth BirchEquality ActGay Men's Chorus of WashingtonGMCWHRCHuman Rights CampaignJaime LeedsJohn WatersKeegan TheatreLibrary of CongressLynne BrownMarylandMid-Atlantic Leather WeekendMitchell GoldMost Eligible LGBT SinglesNAMES Project AIDS Memorial QuiltNational Center for Transgender EqualityNational Trans Visibility MarchNCTEObamacarePete ButtigeigPridePride on the PierRicky MartinSoundcheckThe WharfVongell LugoWashington Blade
Michael Key has worked as a photojournalist for the Washington Blade since 2009 and is currently serving as the photo editor. He has worked on Capitol Hill, in the White House, on the campaign trail and in cities along the East Coast taking iconic photos documenting the extension of marriage benefits to same-sex couples, the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and other events of interest to the LGBT community. Follow Michael
- Gay mayor of Wilton Manors, Fla. dies at 41 by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on February 26, 2020
- As mayor, Bloomberg sought major cuts to HIV, homeless youth programs by Chris Johnson | posted on February 26, 2020
- Gay NRA official says gun group supports LGBTQs by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on February 26, 2020
- Out N.J. mayors headed to D.C. for business, party at Pitchers by Staff reports | posted on February 26, 2020
- Human Rights Office director resigns to run for at-large D.C. Council seat by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on February 26, 2020