2019 was a year of milestones: from Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s historic presidential campaign to the passage of the Equality Act in the United States House of Representatives to the first National Trans Visibility March.
Here are some of the top photos in the Washington Blade archive from the past year.
ACAAffordable Care ActAlphonso DavidasylumBaltimoreBob WilliamsCasa RubyCity WineryCompassD.C.David CicillineDemocratic PartyDistrict of ColumbiaEbone BellEleanor Holmes NortonElection 2020Elizabeth BirchEquality ActGay Men's Chorus of WashingtonGMCWHRCHuman Rights CampaignJaime LeedsJohn WatersKeegan TheatreLibrary of CongressLynne BrownMarylandMid-Atlantic Leather WeekendMitchell GoldMost Eligible LGBT SinglesNAMES Project AIDS Memorial QuiltNational Center for Transgender EqualityNational Trans Visibility MarchNCTEObamacarePete ButtigeigPridePride on the PierRicky MartinSoundcheckThe WharfVongell LugoWashington Blade
Michael Key has worked as a photojournalist for the Washington Blade since 2009 and is currently serving as the photo editor. He has worked on Capitol Hill, in the White House, on the campaign trail and in cities along the East Coast taking iconic photos documenting the extension of marriage benefits to same-sex couples, the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and other events of interest to the LGBT community. Follow Michael
- Federal agents target nonbinary Portland protester by Kaela Roeder | posted on August 5, 2020
- House declines new money for Trump’s HIV plan — but it’s complicated by Chris Johnson | posted on August 5, 2020
- Former D.C. politico wins primary in bid to be Michigan’s first out gay congressman by Chris Johnson | posted on August 5, 2020
- Biden says he can beat HIV by 2025 — but activists are skeptical by Chris Johnson | posted on August 5, 2020
- Trump on continued coronavirus cases, deaths: ‘Things go away’ by Chris Johnson | posted on August 5, 2020