2019 was a year of milestones: from Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s historic presidential campaign to the passage of the Equality Act in the United States House of Representatives to the first National Trans Visibility March.
Here are some of the top photos in the Washington Blade archive from the past year.
ACAAffordable Care ActAlphonso DavidasylumBaltimoreBob WilliamsCasa RubyCity WineryCompassD.C.David CicillineDemocratic PartyDistrict of ColumbiaEbone BellEleanor Holmes NortonElection 2020Elizabeth BirchEquality ActGay Men's Chorus of WashingtonGMCWHRCHuman Rights CampaignJaime LeedsJohn WatersKeegan TheatreLibrary of CongressLynne BrownMarylandMid-Atlantic Leather WeekendMitchell GoldMost Eligible LGBT SinglesNAMES Project AIDS Memorial QuiltNational Center for Transgender EqualityNational Trans Visibility MarchNCTEObamacarePete ButtigeigPridePride on the PierRicky MartinSoundcheckThe WharfVongell LugoWashington Blade
Michael Key has worked as a photojournalist for the Washington Blade since 2009 and is currently serving as the photo editor. He has worked on Capitol Hill, in the White House, on the campaign trail and in cities along the East Coast taking iconic photos documenting the extension of marriage benefits to same-sex couples, the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and other events of interest to the LGBT community. Follow Michael
- In surprise poll, gay congressman trails Republican challenger by Chris Johnson | posted on October 31, 2020
- Melania Trump rejects criticism husband is anti-gay: ‘Nothing could be further from the truth’ by Chris Johnson | posted on October 29, 2020
- Cure for a sickening appointment by Hans Johnson | posted on October 30, 2020
- Pope Francis civil unions support not a surprise to gay friend by Michael K. Lavers | posted on October 29, 2020
- Pappas rebukes SCOTUS justices for declaring war on same-sex marriage by Chris Johnson | posted on October 30, 2020