Hundreds of activists, including a sizable LGBT contingent, marched through the streets of D.C. for “SlutWalk” on Saturday to protest victim blaming in sexual assault cases. The march began at Lafayette Square and ended in a rally in the shadow of the Washington Monument. Speakers at the rally included Andrea Bredbeck of Join the Conversation, Holly Kearl of Stop Street Harassment, Dr. Salamishah Tillet of A Long Walk Home, Inc., Carmen Rios of (con)sensual, Lauren Taylor of Defend Yourself, Sasha Ponappa of Deaf Abused Women’s Network, radio personality Aiyi’nah Ford, Janelle Mungo of GetEqual D.C., Stacey Lantz of D.C. National Organization for Women, Meredith Zoltick of Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive (HIPS), Maryland Delegate Ariana Kelly, author Janine Latus and comedienne Luce Tomlin-Brenner.
(Washington Blade photos by Pete Exis)
- FOX 5’s McCoy suspended over offensive Tweet by Lou Chibbaro Jr. | posted on February 24, 2021
- Sen. Collins won’t co-sponsor Equality Act, laments ‘revision’ not made by Chris Johnson | posted on February 23, 2021
- Rachel Levine fends off anti-trans questioning in historic confirmation hearing by Chris Johnson | posted on February 25, 2021
- In first, GOP compromise on LGBTQ rights expected to win Democratic support by Chris Johnson | posted on February 24, 2021
- Sen. Merkley hints at support for scrapping filibuster to pass Equality Act by Chris Johnson | posted on February 24, 2021