September 10, 2012 at 9:45 am EDT | by Phil Reese
Fast Five Fix: September 10
Here’s all the gay news that’s fit to link:
- You probably heard about Md. Del. Emmett C. Burns Jr. attacking Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo for supporting extending marriage rights to same sex couples. But did you see Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe’s incredibly awesome response letter to Burns on Deadspin? Here’s JUST the closing sentence: “P.S. I’ve also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage so you can take your “I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing” and shove it in your close-minded, totally lacking in empathy piehole and choke on it. Asshole.” I think I’m in love. According to Outsports Burns has since backed down, and Ayanbadejo says the team brass is backing him.
- My home state of Michigan is leading the way for trans representation in high school sports: Grosse Pointe South High School has just made history allowing a young trans-masculine student to play running back on the football team, according to the Advocate.
- Remember our story about the trans prisoner who won a case against Massachusetts regarding who is responsible for her gender reassignment surgery? Massachusetts Democratic Senate candidate, Elizabeth Warren has joined her Republican opponent Scott Brown in denouncing the ruling, according to the Boston Globe.
- ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ repeal has worked, says a new study by the Palm Center.
- Towleroad reports that while on the campaign trail this weekend, superstar straight ally Joe Biden, who told us that we’re “freeing the soul of the American people”, assured a lesbian couple that marriage equality is on its way. Awesome.
The Human Rights Campaign has posted this video showing off all the great pro-gay moments at the DNC last week:
Get ready for chills!