The Virginia Opera presents a production of “The Flying Dutchman” featuring gay tenor Corey Bix at George Mason University’s Center for the Arts (4373 Mason Pond Dr., Fairfax, Va.) on Saturday, April 23 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, April 24 at 2 p.m.
The opera tells the story of a woman (Christina Pier) who falls in love with a cursed sea captain (Wayne Tigges) in a small fishing village in 1800s Norway. A 40-voice chorus will back up the production as well as the Richmond Symphony Orchestra. This is Virginia Opera’s final performance of the season. The performance will be sung in German with English subtitles.
Tickets range from $48-98. For more information, visit vaopera.org.
Support LGBTQ Journalism.
Donate to the Blade Foundation.
- P.G. County worker fears for trans community during crisis by Philip Van Slooten | posted on April 6, 2020
- Hungary bill would ban transgender people from legally changing gender by Michael K. Lavers | posted on April 6, 2020
- Chase Brexton establishes coronavirus fund by Michelle Siegel | posted on April 6, 2020
- A new crop of music to freshen up your self-isolation by John Paul King | posted on April 6, 2020
- Circunstancia y responsabilidad: Mujeres Trans detenidas en centros de inmigración en la era de COVID-19 by Bamby Salcedo | posted on April 6, 2020