Local

Gay man says priest refused to give last rites

Incident at Washington Hospital Center angers LGBT Catholic group

crucifix, Christian, gay news, Washington Blade

A Roman Catholic priest working as a chaplain at D.C.’s Washington Hospital Center refused to give last rites and communion to a heart attack patient earlier this month after the patient told him he’s gay and believes Pope Francis is sympathetic to gay people, the patient told the Blade.

D.C. resident Ronald Plishka, 63, a retired travel agent and lifelong Catholic, said he asked a nurse to arrange for a priest to see him on Feb. 7, one day after he was admitted by ambulance to the hospital emergency room for a heart attack. He said that at the time he wasn’t sure he would survive.

A short time later, Plishka said, Father Brian Coelho, a priest assigned to the hospital’s Department of Spiritual Care, arrived at his bedside. He said Coelho offered to take his confession before proceeding with communion and last rites, which the church now calls the sacrament of anointing of the sick.

“But then he would not proceed with administering the last rites or communion. He couldn’t do it.”

According to Plishka, Coelho, who brought a supply of holy water to his hospital room, never said in so many words that he was refusing to administer communion and last rites.

Asked what Coelho told him, Plishka said, “Well, I mean he stopped. He would not do it. By him not doing it I assumed he would not do it because why was he getting ready to do it and all of a sudden when I say I’m gay he stops?”

Plishka said Coelho gave no reason for not giving him the sacraments he requested but offered instead to pray with him.

“He said what he wanted to do,” said Plishka. “He wanted to pray. That’s what he wanted to do. He said well I could pray with you. And I just told him to get the fuck out of here — excuse me. But that’s what I told him.”

The patient with whom he shared the hospital room overheard some of what was said and asked him, “What in the name of God happened?,” Plishka said.

“And then the doctors came in and told me to calm down or I’m going to have another heart attack,” he said.

Coelho, whose photo appears in the Washington Hospital Center’s online staff directory of hospital chaplains, did not return a call from the Blade seeking comment on his interaction with Plishka.

So Young Pak, Washington Hospital Center’s director of media relations, said the Archdiocese of Washington assigned Coelho to serve as a Catholic chaplain at the hospital. She said the hospital did not hire Coelho.

Pak released a statement to the Blade saying the hospital cannot comment on the specifics of the interaction between Coelho and Plishka “because we were not a party to it.”

But her statement says the hospital is taking “our patient’s concerns very seriously.” She said the Human Rights Campaign Foundation recognized Washington Hospital Center last year as a “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality.”

“We want to hold true to this important commitment to the LGBT community and to all of our patients,” she said. “It is our expectation that all who offer spiritual care to patients in our hospital adhere to our values and extend excellent care, both physical and spiritual, to all patients regardless of their faith traditions,” she said.

Pak added, “Our Department of Spiritual Care will reinforce our expectations with this priest and his superiors.”

Plishka said the treatment he received from the hospital itself was “excellent” and praised the hospital and its doctors for saving his life.

Chieko Noguchi, a spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Washington, which has jurisdiction over D.C. area priests working as hospital chaplains, said her office would have no comment at this time.

A June 2010 biography of Coelho published on the Archdiocese website says Coelho was appointed at that time as parochial vicar at St. Mary Parish in Landover Hills, Md. It says he was “born in India and attended seminary there prior to entering the Archdiocese of Washington’s Redemptoris Mater Seminary.”

The biography says he was ordained on May 26, 2007 and served as a parochial victor at St. Mary of the Mills in Laurel, Md., and at St. Elizabeth Parish in Rockville, Md., in previous assignment.

Pak said Coelho began his tenure as chaplain at Washington Hospital Center in October 2013.

Officials with the LGBT Catholic organizations Dignity U.S.A. and Dignity Washington expressed disbelief that a priest would refuse to offer last rites and communion to a patient in need.

“This is just abhorrent and not Christ-like at all,” said Dignity Washington President Daniel Barutta. “I can’t imagine where that priest is coming from.”

Henry Huot, a retired Catholic priest who serves as chair of Dignity Washington’s Pastoral Ministry Committee, said longstanding Catholic practice calls for priests to provide the sacraments to people in situations similar to Plishka.

“Any baptized Christian ought not to be denied the sacraments at his or her request,” Huot said. “And that is a cardinal rule of pastoral care. So I don’t know what was going through the mind of this hospital chaplain to deny this man the sacraments,” he said. “It violates this cardinal rule.”

Huot and other Dignity officials, including a priest who asked not to be identified, said no church rule or policy says sacraments should be withheld to people because of their sexual orientation.

“The fact that conditions existed for a priest to make this call is upsetting,” said Dignity USA President Marianne Duddy-Burke. “There should be very clear standards. You minister to the person in need without judgment and without conditions,” she said. “It is not the role of the priest to cause the person in distress additional hardship.”

Duddy-Burke said it’s the responsibility of the Archdiocese to set pastoral care standards for priests under its jurisdiction.

“And I would hope that if this case is brought to the attention of Archdiocesan officials, as it should be, that they would respond appropriately and discipline this priest and make it known to every priest and every person that’s providing pastoral care in the Archdiocese that people should be treated as children of God first.”

Barutta said the group’s pastoral committee headed by Huot has a list of priests on call to provide pastoral care for people in situations similar to Plishka.

“Can you imagine Pope Francis being at that hospital?” Barutta said. “He would be siting by the bedside and be with this guy for more than an hour. I’m almost positive of that.”

Plishka said he is thankful that, unlike his encounter with the priest, his medical treatment at the Washington Hospital Center worked out well. In what he called state of the art cardiac procedures, he said doctors implanted stents through a catheter to reopen clogged arteries in his heart. Much to his surprise, the hospital discharged him just three days after he was admitted, with instructions that he adhere to several weeks of rest and outpatient treatment.

Once at home, Plishka said he called the hospital chaplain’s office to lodge a complaint against Fr. Coelho. He said he also called the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception next to Catholic University, where he has attended Mass nearly every Sunday for years.

“They have a priest on call,” he said. “So he called me back and said he agreed with what the priest at the hospital did. He said unless you’re willing to change and basically become somebody you’re not, then this priest had every right to do that, to refuse you communion and to refuse you the last rites of the church,” Plishka said.

He said he doesn’t recall the priest’s name but recalls the priest saying he was the one assigned to take calls from members of the community on that day — Feb. 8.

Ironically, Plishka said, a minister from another denomination came to his hospital room and gave him the spiritual support he didn’t receive from Fr. Coelho. In response to a call to the hospital by one of his friends, who Plishka had told of his encounter with Coelho, the hospital sent a Methodist minister to see him in his hospital room shortly after Coelho’s visit.

“He prayed with me and gave me communion and all of that,” said Plishka. “But it’s not the same. It’s not my religion, you know? I’ve been a Catholic all my life and for them to refuse me a sacrament and to refuse me communion? It destroyed me.”

Now, Plishka said, he decided to speak out about his experience with the hope that it might make a difference.

“I think there comes a time when as a gay man you have to take a stand, you know? It’s just intolerable to be treated like you’re nothing. And I could have died. And all I did was ask for the rites of the church that are due to me. But because I’m gay I’m denied that.”

1. Ullrich Braun

February 17, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Catholic love is only for those who follow the dictates of the Vatican.

2. disgusted merikkkan

February 18, 2014 at 10:25 am

religion – man-made gobbly-gook for the easily brainwashed to keep the sheeple/people in line, in FEAR and those coffers full – Ka-Ching!!! $$$$$$$

3. Stephen Clark

February 18, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Why are gay Catholics surprised when their church, which condemns them as "intrinsically disordered," treats them like they're subhuman? Stop acting like a battered spouse and leave already.

4. Brandy Spears

February 18, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Sounds like he got a reality check on what his shitty church really thinks about him with a dose of this Christian "love" we often hear so much about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfSoT88d5JU

5. Johan David Baumeister

February 18, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I've met several Catholic priests who would find this behavior by one of their own completely abhorrent. Unfortunately, it seems none of them are the Archbishop of Washington, D.C. or else this behavior would have been condemned and the priest in question counseled and/or disciplined. It will take many years for the Catholic church hierarchy to catch up with those sitting in their pews.

I applaud the Catholics who want to stick it out, whether for personal reasons or a desire to drive change in their denomination. That can't be an easy road to walk. A caution, though: stigma has a negative effect on many. Take care of yourselves, love yourselves, and leave if it gets to be too much.

6. Juan Pablo

February 18, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I don't understand religious gays, but I applaud anyone who calls out ANY form of homophobia. It helps advance the dialogue and address the bigotry.

7. JCF

February 18, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I really feel for Mr Plischka. MAYBE, in time Pope Francis will make a difference…

…but for the short term, w/ his heart condition, he needs a back-up plan. May I suggest the Episcopal Church? Liturgy is more similar to Roman Catholicism, and our priests are real priests (not according to the Vatican—but according to God ;-/). Unlike the RCC *or* the United Methodists, we are entirely LGBT-affirming (well, almost entirely. Believe me, if an Episcopal priest ever tried to pull the sh*t that this Fr Coelho did, he would be kicked-to-the-curb by his bishop *immediately*!)

8. Christopher's Apologies

February 19, 2014 at 2:55 am

Since no one knows what happened, but that doesn't seem to leave them short of opinions, I'll bring up some factual stuff to talk about. "Last Rites" has two parts to it: Sacrament of Penance (i.e. confession) and Sacrament of Eucharist (i.e. communion).

The fact that Mr. Plishka is gay alone would not be the determining factor to perform the rite since many people are both gay and Catholic. However, if Mr Plishka revealed to the priest in the course of the conversation about him being gay that he was sexually active as a gay man since his last confession and was unrepentant for it, that adds another layer of complexity which could very likely have affected the priest's decision. This is, of course, speculation but at least it provides some insight into what COULD have happened.

If Mr. Plishka admitted to having no contrition for any homosexual activity (assuming he was engaged in any), then he could not make a valid confession and thus would be held to the same standard all other Catholics are held to when in a state of mortal sin; specifically, you can be denied communion. Reception of the Eucharist is not an automatic thing, not for anyone.

I know it is easy to bash the priest, bash the Catholic Church, etc. but all that does is show how uniformed people are about the teachings of the Catholic Church. I am not saying anyone has to agree with them, but just vilifying the priest as if he was going rouge and showing no compassion to Mr. Plishka, when he may have had very valid reasons (in his mind and by the rules of the Church) for denying Mr. Plishka last rites is ignorant.

9. Jason Galvez

February 19, 2014 at 4:53 am

Mathew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." I don't see the word "except" anywhere in that verse so I'm guessing it includes gay people. http://jasonjdotbiz.wordpress.com/

10. John Croteau

February 19, 2014 at 12:30 pm

BS I know for a fact that people confessed to murder and the priest gave them last rites. Remove all the prison system priests then. Your a moron! Despite any conversation, he should of just preformed the ritual. PERIOD. How dare you say that a sinner should not receive the last rite.

11. Nathan Barontini

February 19, 2014 at 2:29 pm

John, he clearly says IF the gay man wasn't repentant of any sexual activity outside marriage THEN he shouldn't have given him the Eucharist. Did you even read the article?

12. Jessica QueeRevolutionary Naomi

February 19, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Why would any gay person in their right mind believe in a cult whose think you are worthy of death Romans 1:27-32 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+1:27-32

He should leave that genocidal cult.
    This Pope did NOT say he was for gay rights http://www.advocate.com/politics/religion/2013/09/24/vatican-excommunicates-gay-supportive-australian-priest

13. John Yengich

February 19, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Easy for someone with no understanding of what it means to some of us who are Catholic. We stay to change the church from within. It's like telling someone who lives in Kansas to just leave if you don't like the anti-gay laws there.

14. John Yengich

February 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm

John Croteau you can't just confess. You also have to repent and be sorry. Calling Christopher a moron doesn't help anything or anyone in the conversation. If the man were unable to speak or communicate, the priest who have forgiven his sins and given him the last right. Christopher is right in that we don't know what was said. That being said, I agree that this was handled badly by the priest. The priest is the moron, not the OP.

15. Dan Dugan

February 19, 2014 at 5:50 pm

John Yengich if you are gullible enough to believe the crock of shit that the catholic church preaches, much less that they will magically change after years of hate and intolerance, I have some oceanfront property in North Dakota want to sell you! Act fast. Offer only good for the next hour!

16. Stephen Clark

February 19, 2014 at 6:10 pm

John Yengich, I severed my own affiliation with the Roman Catholic Church in 2000. I have a full and complete understanding of what it is like to take control, stop submitting to abuse, and leave the bigots to themselves. "Change from within" is the same tired excuse that gay Republicans use, and, unlike the Catholic Church, at least the Republican Party isn't a monarchy.

17. Christopher's Apologies

February 19, 2014 at 6:28 pm

John Croteau…absolutely a sinner should receive last rites – a repentant one. I have been refused absolution during confession before because I told the priest my intent to commit the same sin I just confessed again. He said, "Well, you're not really sorry, I can't offer you absolution." Although I was angry at the time, it was a grace filled moment because it caused me to reflect deeper and actually change my behavior.

The conversation, the one that no has insight into expect the patient in the hospital and the priest, is the KEY that unlocks this whole mystery into why the priest did not perform the right. You can't just dismiss it and say, "despite it" the priest should have granted him absolution and given him communion.

Oh, and if you want to insult me and my intelligence, at least do it correctly. You should have used "you're" not "your".

18. John Yengich

February 19, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Dan Dugan And it's Catholics that are called intolerant. You know nothing about me or my beliefs. And obviously nothing about what the Catholic Church teaches so move along little man.

19. John Croteau

February 19, 2014 at 7:30 pm

This why the church is self destructing. Most of the people in my church are over 60. Once there dead they will be no one to replace them. Good ridden, with the lack of compassion they deserve to fade away.

20. Dan Dugan

February 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm

John Yengich youre full of shit. I was raised a catholic and I know what I am talking about. Yes, im intolerant towards the catholic church, just as I am the KKK, Arian Nation, or any similar group. The only reason you are Catholic is that you were brainwashed into believing that since birth. You could just as easily been born into a Buddhist family, in which case you would be defending that religion just as strongly.

21. Frank Quintana

February 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm

The Ecumenical Catholic. Communion, where ALL are welcome, and we celebrate the wonderful diversity of God's creation!
    Ahhh! The Ecumenical Catholic Communion! What a wonderful way to be Catholic! http://www.ecumenical-catholic-communion.org

22. Steven Lowe

February 20, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Once again, I wonder why any gay or lesbian person remains a Catholic? We should all just be Humanists… http://americanhumanist.org/ where LGBT have always been welcome and been leaders.

23. Kristin

February 20, 2014 at 6:46 pm

This is not journalism – it does not provide plausible facts or even a coherent narrative of what happened. This is propaganda and speculation.

24. Volma

February 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

This sounds a lot like the waitress not getting the tip because she’s gay story…There is more to it than being said..If true change your religion, I personally don’t feel priests, ministers etc can do anything to save your soul or gaurantee your spot in heaven…I don’t believe in religion or in defining my entire life via my sexuality…

25. Rocco Maserati

February 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

You don’t buy a new car with missing parts…this story has so many holes…i’m not buying the car.

26. Andy Maul

February 21, 2014 at 3:08 am

The priests did as they should have, and may God bless them for this. They offered to pray with Ronald Plishka, but Plishka told them to "Fuck Off"; he'd tell Pope Francis the same; he'd tell Jesus Himself the same, "Fuck Off". The truth is, unless Ronald Plishka repents from his sin of active homosexuality, his soul is destined for Hell. Last Rites don't mean a thing unless someone is repentant, otherwise it's just a lie. And God knows when you lie, always. And BTW, Dignity isn't a Catholic group, but one teaching heresy. If you want the opinions of any group that is faithful to Catholic Church teachings on this subject, check out the Courage Apostolate at http://www.couragerc.net

27. Ronald Plishka

February 21, 2014 at 7:28 am

How ignorant can you be..Bottom line your nothing but a homophobic nazi…How dare you presume to to know what I would say to the pope or Jesus..I have found over the years that people who hate as much as you usually have a problem with there own sexual identity. I will pray for you..Ron Plishka

• Susan Peterson

February 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Mr. Plishka, since you are here and commenting, I really want to ask you if you understand hat if you indicated to the priest that you had no intention of ceasing from engaging in homosexual acts, that he could not absolve you or give you communion. He couldn’t absolve or give communion to a guy who won’t resolve to stop having sex with his girlfriend, or to someone in an invalid marriage who won’t agree to separate from their partner to whom they are not married by church law. He couldn’t absolve or give communion to someone who won’t agree to stop cheating on his taxes. Whatever is considered sin, you have to repent of it and agree to do your best not to do it again. You probably do not agree that homosexual acts are sinful. But then, you don’t believe what the Church teaches. If you think the Church teaches falsehood, why do you want its sacraments? I do believe you that you find going to mass comforting. But Jesus both comforts and makes demands. He forgives, and He says, go and sin no more. I think perhaps He is calling you to give up what you think you have, what you think is so important to you, and go and follow Him. Those who do that find that they receive what they know is infinitely more valuable than what they have given up. All of us need to keep relearning this in our attempts to be His disciples. I hope you will decide that you want to be a disciple and follow Him. He is calling.

28. David Calvani

February 21, 2014 at 9:45 am

Stephen Clark — I'm sorry, Stephen, but 'change from within, cannot possibly be a primary reason for being a Republican, gay or otherwise. The primary reason for being a Republican has to be greater overall agreement with the party's agenda than with the agenda of the Democrats. No Republican has to think he can or will cause any significant change in the party to belong to or vote for it. He needn't even like it much; all that is required is that he prefer it to the alternatives.

There is no comparison to religion here. If one is going to vote then one must vote for someone particular. People with spiritual concerns, however, can pursue them without belonging to any particular religious sect.

29. David Calvani

February 21, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ah — the voice of one who thinks he owns ultimate reality. I do wish your kind would keep their delusions to themselves.

30. Dan Dugan

February 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm

This guy is one of the reasons that I cant say the word "christian" without putting the word "fucking" before it! Self righteous as they get! Oh, and typically delusional.

31. Dan Dugan

February 21, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Btw, why would we give a rats ass about the opinions of a group like the "Courage Apostate" The fact that they faithful to the catholic church alone shows a certain lack of morals!

32. Andy Maul

February 22, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Thank you for praying for me Plishka, but it must puzzle everyone why you didn't pray with the priest, but instead told him to "fuck off". Oh, how prayerful… or hateful?

33. Zachery Moore

February 22, 2014 at 10:05 am

“He said Coelho offered to take his confession before proceeding with communion and last rites, which the church now calls the sacrament of anointing of the sick.

“We started talking and I told him I was so happy with this new Pope because of his comments about the gays and his accepting the gays,” Plishka said. “And I mentioned that I was gay. I said it and then I asked him does that bother you? And he said, ‘Oh, no, that does not bother me,’” said Plishka.”

And here is why the man was refused communion. Engaging in homosexual behavior is a sin. (No way around that–Jesus is clear, Paul is clear, Mosaic Law is clear.). Just as fornication, adultery, masturbation, etc.,. Any of these thing the priest would need to first hear a confession from the person before administering the Eucharist. This is because, when in obstinate habitual sin (and not confessing to it) the Priest MUST refuse Communion until the person is in a state of grace. From the comments, it is apparent that the man had no problem with being gay, nor did he think it was a sin (and Im sure, since this is a gay newspaper, most of you would agree with Mr. Plishka).

The Priest did the right thing, if in fact what I stated above was the case. The Priest cannot just give the Eucharist, the pinnacle of Christian faith, to anyone who demands it. His job is to properly administer the sacraments to people and to safeguard its integrity. Anyone in any state of Mortal sin cannot receive the Eucharist until they confess. Plain and Simple.

This isn’t a matter of “The catholic church hates gay people.” The priest was quite right to say he has no problem at all with the man being gay. He just cannot administer the sacrament to an active participant in mortal sin. There is a confusion of what love is in this world. It is not accepting people no matter what. How many of your parents said,’Yeah, brian, go ahead and put your head in the oven… if that’s what you want and would make you happy!”. The same goes for any facet of life. You can love a person and still think they are wrong. You can disagree with people and still love them. By the Priest not administering the Eucharist, he provided more love than that man would ever find in a same-sex relationship. He prevented the ultimate sin–sacrilege against Jesus Christ.

Im sure this comment won’t be popular, but reading through the comments I couldn’t help but notice the ignorance of the commentators on the Christian faith, and more specifically, the Catholic faith. Hurt feelings are better than lost souls.

Local

Youngkin reiterates opposition to marriage equality

Va. gubernatorial candidate says issue ‘legally acceptable’ in state

(Photo courtesy of Twitter)

Glenn Youngkin in an interview with the Associated Press has reiterated his opposition to marriage rights for same-sex couples.

Youngkin—a Republican who is running against Democrat Terry McAuliffe to succeed Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam—said in an interview published on Friday that he feels “called to love everyone.” Youngkin then reiterated his opposition to marriage equality before he added it is “legally acceptable” in the state.

“I, as governor, will support that,” Youngkin told the AP.

McAuliffe was Virginia’s governor from 2014-2018.

Same-sex couples began to legally marry in Virginia a few months after McAuliffe took office.

McAuliffe in 2014 became the first governor of a Southern state to officiate a same-sex wedding. The lesbian couple who McAuliffe married recently appeared in one of his campaign ads.

McAuliffe on Friday criticized Youngkin. “As governor, I worked my heart out to keep Virginia open and welcoming to all,” said McAuliffe in a tweet. “This type of bigotry and intolerance has no place in our commonwealth.”

The anti-LGBTQ Family Research Council, which the Southern Poverty Law Center has categorized as an extremist group, earlier this month endorsed Youngkin, but Log Cabin Republicans are among the groups that have backed his campaign. The Human Rights Campaign in 2019 named Youngkin’s former company, the Carlyle Group, as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality” in its annual Corporate Equality Index.

Local

D.C. school board calls for LGBTQ-inclusive teaching standards

Sweeping resolution proposing content in curricula approved unanimously

Gay State Board of Education member Allister Chang.

The D.C. State Board of Education voted unanimously on Oct. 20 to approve a resolution calling for LGBTQ+ Inclusive Education Standards for the city’s public schools that “reflect on the political, economic, social, cultural, and scientific contributions and experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.”

The two-page resolution, which was introduced by gay State Board of Education member Allister Chang, who represents Ward 2, cites national research showing that students who have access to LGBTQ+ curricula in their schools “are more likely to report lower frequency of bullying, lower levels of depression, more accepting peers, and greater feelings of safety in school.”

The resolution states that research also shows that multicultural education, including the teaching of LGBTQ topics, “helps prevent the formation of bias and prejudice and creates more democratic communities.”

LGBTQ rights advocates have long considered the local D.C. government through its mayor and City Council to be highly supportive of the LGBTQ community. But Chang and other supporters of the resolution approved by the board Wednesday night say their research shows that D.C. public schools, while supportive of LGBTQ students, are far behind the school systems in several other states in the inclusion of LGBTQ topics in school curricula.

As an example, supporters of the resolution point out that curriculum standards for social studies classes in the D.C. school system include only one mention of LGBTQ people in a teaching section related to victims of the Holocaust.

Unlike most other cities and states, under current D.C. law, the school system is controlled by the mayor through the D.C. Department of Education, which is headed by a Deputy Mayor for Education and who, in turn and in consultation with the mayor, appoints a State Superintendent of Education who oversees the day-to-day operations of the schools.

Under a change in the education statute approved by the D.C. Council and signed by then-Mayor Adrian Fenty in 2007, the school board, which was renamed the State Board of Education, became a mostly advisory body on education matters with some statutory authority to approve education standards on which school curricula are based.

Thus, the resolution approved by the board on Wednesday “advises” and “recommends” that the State Superintendent of Education develop school curricula, guidance for teachers, and school-based leaders and staff “in providing LGBTQ+ inclusive lessons and practices in their classrooms.”

The resolution concludes by recommending that the State Superintendent of Education conduct a survey of students within two years after the Oct. 20 adoption of the resolution “to establish baseline data and to gain an understanding of the current experiences of LGBTQ+ students across the district and what all students know and understand about the contributions and experiences of LGBTQ+ people in the relevant subject areas.”

Chang and other members of the State Board of Education noted at the Oct. 20 meeting, which was virtual, that Will Beckerman, who graduated this year from D.C.’s School Without Walls High School, played an important role in conducting the research used to prepare the LGBTQ standards resolution and helped in the drafting of the resolution.

Chang noted that much of the background information used to draft the resolution came from Beckerman’s senior year school research paper and advocacy project that focuses on the topic of LGBTQ-inclusive education.

In comments supporting the resolution, Chang also spoke about how the very limited LGBTQ content he encountered during his high school days helped him accept himself as a gay youth.

“As a student myself, I don’t remember a single mention of any LGBTQ people in any of my classwork until I read Thomas Mann in my senior year in high school,” Chang said. “And in Death in Venice, this Nobel Prize winner touches upon his struggles with homosexuality but never actually names it explicitly,” Chang told fellow board members.

“And I remember holding on to this novella despite the self-hatred that’s woven throughout this story because it was the first time that I saw this aspect of my identity reflected in my class work,” he said. “My hope – and I think this hope comes true with this resolution tonight – is that future generations of LGBTQ students have more opportunities to see themselves reflected in their class work and to feel less isolated by their class work than I did growing up.”

It couldn’t immediately be determined whether D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser will endorse the school system changes proposed by the resolution approved by the State Board of Education.

The full text of the resolution follows:

State Board of Education Resolution

On LGBTQ+ Inclusive Education Standards

SR21-7

WHEREAS, the 2019 District of Columbia Youth Risk Behavior Survey found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual students make up 15.9 percent of high school students in the District and transgender students make up1.9 percent of District high school students;

WHEREAS, in the District, these students, in comparison to their heterosexual peers, experience double the rate of bullying on school property, report higher rates of being removed from class for disciplinary reasons, and are more than twice as likely to experience suicidal ideation;

WHEREAS, national data shows that lesbian, gay, and bisexual students are significantly more likely to receive grades of D or F than their heterosexual peers and were more likely to be truant;

WHEREAS, consistent research suggests that students with LGBTQ+ inclusive curricula in their schools are more likely to report lower frequency of bullying, lower levels of depression, more accepting peers, and greater feelings of safety in school—and this safety leads students to report higher attendance, higher GPAs, a greater sense of belonging in the school community, and higher educational aspirations;

WHEREAS, research shows that multicultural education helps prevent the formation of bias and prejudice and creates more democratic communities ;

WHEREAS, the State Board of Education recognizes the need to have revised social studies standards that create “windows and mirrors” so students see themselves and people like them reflected in the content of standards and curriculum, as well as having the opportunity to learn about diverse people, cultures, places, and experiences unlike themselves—explicitly noting that the current standards emphasize the lives of presidents and other figures who held/hold power and under-represent or lack representation of people and groups like those identifying as LGBTQ+, and their respective histories;

WHEREAS, in the State Board of Education’s review and revision of the social studies standards, the State Board called upon the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) to “seek standards writers who reflect the demographics and experiences of District students and of the communities they are writing about” sharing a list of examples that included writers identifying as LGBTQ+;

WHEREAS, the State Board of Education is committed to ensuring students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to be engaged global citizens in a diverse democratic society; and,

WHEREAS, the State Board of Education has a commitment to promote equity, introduce policies to reduce disparities between students, and create safe school environments for all students.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT, upon the next revision of any District of Columbia state education standards, the State Board of Education should adapt standards, when appropriate, that reflect on the political, economic, social, cultural, and scientific contributions and experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the State Board of Education advises the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) to provide guidance to teachers and school-based leaders and staff on creating inclusive lessons in science and English language arts (ELA) classes that align with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Common Core ELA standards, respectively;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the State Board of Education recommends that the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) implement professional development for teachers and school-based leaders and staff to aid them in providing LGBTQ+ inclusive lessons and practices in their classrooms, such that that the professional development includes: workshops for local education agencies (LEAs) and teachers to draft curriculum related to LGBTQ+ topics in their subject areas, lessons on use of inclusive language in the classroom, lessons on ensuring LGBTQ+ students’ safety and confidentiality while maintaining respect for their name and pronouns, and mandatory diversity training related to the LGBTQ+ community; and,

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED THAT, the State Board of Education recommends that the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) survey students within two (2) years of adoption of this resolution to establish baseline date and to gain an understanding of the current experiences of LGBTQ+ students across the district and what all students know and understand about the contributions and experiences of LGBTQ+ people in the relevant subject areas.

Brikett, Michelle et al. “Sexual-orientation disparities in school: the meditational role of indicators of victimization in achievement and truancy because of feeling unsafe.” American Journal of Public Health vol. 104, 6 (2014): 1124-8. doi: 10.2105/AJHP.2013.301785

Kosciw, Joseph G., et al. “The 2019 National School Climate Survey: The Experiences of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Youth in Our Nation’s Schools.” GLSEN, GLSEN, 2020, glsen.org.

Camicia, Steven P. Critical Democratic Education and LGBTQ-Inclusive Curriculum: Opportunities and Constraints. Routledge Focus, 2016.

Camicia, Steven P. “Prejudice Reduction through Multicultural Education: Connecting Multiple Literatures.” Social Studies Research and Practice, vol. 2, no. 2, 2007, pp. 219–227.

socstrpr.org/files/Vol%25202/Issue%25202%2520-%2520Summer%25202007/Action%2520Research/2.2.6.pdf

Local

Nellie’s agrees to $5,000 fine, 7-day license suspension over brawl

Penalty prompted by security guard dragging Black woman down stairs

Nellie’s must pay a fine and face a seven-day license suspension over a June 13 brawl in which a Black woman was dragged down the stairs. (Blade file photo by Tom Hausman)

The D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Board on Wednesday, Oct 20, approved a compromise agreement it reached with Nellie’s Sports Bar that calls for the U Street, N.W. gay bar to pay a $5,000 fine and serve a seven-day license suspension over a June 13 incident in which a Black woman was dragged down a flight of stars by a Nellie’s security guard during a brawl between Nellie’s customers.

The agreement calls for a license suspension of 24 days with 17 days to be suspended and seven days to be served “so long as the Respondent does not commit any violations within (1) year from the date of this Order,” the ABC Board declared in a three-page order confirming the agreement.

The order states that the license suspension will be served from Dec. 20-26 of this year. It also states that Nellie’s must pay the fine within 120 days from the date of the order. If the fine is not paid during that time “its license shall be immediately suspended until all amounts owed are paid.”

As a final stipulation of the agreement, the ABC Board states that Nellie’s must file a “legally compliant security plan” within 10 calendar days of the Oct. 20 order.

The security plan requirement stems from an earlier finding by the city’s Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration related to the June 13 incident that Nellie’s was in violation of several provisions of the city’s liquor law, including a provision that a security plan that meets the standards of the city’s liquor regulations is in place.

An ABRA investigation of the June 13 incident found, among other things, that “multiple assaults occurred inside the establishment while the licensee was engaged in a method of operation conducive to unlawful conduct.”

The action by the Nellie’s security guard, which took place during the city’s LGBTQ Pride weekend, was captured on video taken by one of the customers on their phone. The video went viral on social media, prompting a series of protests against the bar by LGBTQ activists and Black Lives Matter advocates.

Nellie’s issued an apology for the incident the following day and announced it had fired the private security company whose employee, who is Black, dragged Keisha Young, 22, down the stairs. Nellie’s also announced it would temporarily close for business to assess what had happened and develop plans for reopening as a safe space for all members of the community. It reopened 35 days later, with protesters continuing to assemble outside the bar for several more weeks.

When the five-member ABC Board on Oct. 20 held a roll call vote to approve what is officially called an Offer-In-Compromise or OIC agreement with Nellie’s that includes the fine, license suspension, and other provisions, gay ABC Board member Edward Grandis voted against the agreement, becoming the only member to do so.

A video recording of the virtual ABC Board meeting available through YouTube shows that Grandis expressed general support for the decision by both the board and Nellie’s to reach a compromise agreement. But he said he objects to the license suspension requirement.

“In this particular regard, when the facts and the testimony indicate that the licensee on its own initiative without any knowledge, at least in the testimony, of prompting from the government or MPD or any party, to itself close for 35 days during – generally – the pandemic when so many companies lost their companies and their employees lost their jobs and the neighborhoods lost their establishments, I really believe that this particular situation shows that the licensee took this event seriously and accordingly in a manner that hopefully will prevent it from happening again or have better security measures to avoid this type of situation in the future,” Grandis told his fellow board members.

“And I just wanted the record to show I’m supportive of the OIC generally, but I don’t believe it was constructed in a way that indicates what this licensee has done since that incident,” Grandis said.

Nellie’s owner, Douglas Schantz, and Nellie’s attorney, Andrew Klein, couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

Klein, who spoke at the ABC Board hearing on Wednesday, said in response to a question by Grandis that Nellie’s reluctantly agreed to the fine and license suspension, which he called “excessive,” among other things, because Schantz wants to put the matter behind him and to “heal” and “move on” with the community.

The ABC Board’s action came one day after the Washington City Paper announced that Nellie’s Sports Bar finished in second place among its readers in its annual Best of D.C. contest for the category of “Best Gay Bar/Club/Lounge.”