Are you an aspiring filmmaker looking for a way to flex your creative muscles during this time of global hardship? Dekkoo, the premiere subscription-based streaming service dedicated to gay men, might have just the motivation you need to get started, right now.
In its commitment to giving back and inspiring creativity, the queer entertainment platform is launching a one-week short film challenge, in which creators could win a cut of $10,000.00 in prizes.
With the pandemic putting a spotlight on our relationships with others and ourselves, the theme for the Dekkoo competition is “Love and Distance.” What do relationships in the time of quarantine look like? How do they function? Are you dating from a distance, or are you home alone and loving it.? Dealing with romance and heartbreak while social distancing or flirting from far away?
Filmmakers are invited to shoot and submit a 5-minute maximum length short film telling a queer story that deals with love and distance. It can be funny, sad, romantic, sexy – anything.
But get your camera rolling fast – submissions need to be in by May 10, with voting to be tallied through May 18 and winners announced May 20.
Details are below:
The Dekkoo Jury Award
• One film will be selected. The winning film will be decided by the Dekkoo staff based on artistic merit. The winner will receive a cash award of $2,500.00 and the opportunity to direct a Dekkoo-original short film with a production budget of $5,000.00.
• Four films will be selected. The four films that receive the most comments on that films page on Dekkoo.com will win $1,000.00 each! Filmmakers are encouraged to ask fans to comment often!
How to Submit your Film:
First, complete this entry form.
Next, send us your film via Dropbox.
You can also submit your film by sending a password protected link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• All films should be 1920×1080 or higher, H.264, preferably no vertical video. All submissions uploaded to Dropbox should be clearly labeled with the film title and director (ex: Avengers_Whedon.mp4)
• All languages are welcome, but non-English submissions must have English subtitles.
• Submissions must be no more than 5-minutes in length and submitted via Dekkoo’s Dropbox Folder or a password-protected URL between Monday, May 4 and Sunday, May 10, 2020. All submissions are due no later than Sunday, May 10 at 11:59pm Eastern.
• It is FREE to submit your film. There is no entrance fee!
• As an added bonus, all filmmakers who submit a film to the challenge (as long as it is accepted by Dekkoo) will receive a free 6-month Dekkoo-subscription.