December 19, 2011 | by Phil Reese
Study: Anti-gay groups far more effective than LGBT groups at soliciting cash

The MAP survey emphasizes the shocking disparity between revenue at pro-LGBT organizations vs. anti-LGBT organizations. (Courtesy Movement Advancement Project)

According to a report released last week by the Movement Advancement Project (MAP), American anti-gay groups are still far more effective than LGBT rights organizations at mobilizing their funding base.

The National LGBT Movement Report, which according to ThinkProgress‘s Zack Ford “analyzes the financial documents of 40 prominent LGBT organizations,” MAP estimates the number of individual donors to LGBT organizations only three percent of LGBT Americans.

The report estimates that most LGBT groups rely on just ten contributors for 45 percent of their annual income. The other 55 percent is made up of smaller donations. Ninety-seven percent of the estimated 8.7 million LGBT Americans decline to contribute to these organizations at all.

“There are many reasons for the relative dearth of donations coming from within our own community, but coming from the Midwest, I can tell you that many of our national organizations aren’t very well known in the interior of the country,” Interim Executive Director of Stonewall Democrats, Jerame Davis, told the Blade. “H.R.C., Stonewall Democrats, PFLAG, and Lambda Legal are the only organizations we heard from on a consistent basis in Indiana. Go ask your average Midwestern LGBT person to name even five national LGBT organizations; something tells me they wouldn’t get past number three.”

MORE IN THE BLADE: PRAISE, CRITICISM AS HRC ENTERS A NEW ERA

More alarming is that the ten largest openly anti-LGBT groups spend almost three times as much annually as all 40 of the LGBT groups measured; at $330.4 million versus the $126.8 million spent collectively. Multi-issue anti-LGBT organizations such as Focus on the Family, Heritage Foundation and Alliance Defense Fund had budgets dwarfing most LGBT organizations, assisted by smaller but more focused organizations like National Organization for Marriage, Family Research Council and the Traditional Values Coalition.

ThinkProgress adds that many of the donors to LGBT organizations are actually straight allies, which may mean that the number of LGBT Americans contributing to these organizations is actually lower than the estimate in the MAP report.

LGBT organizations are having a difficult time convincing American LGBT people to invest in their work. (Courtesy Movement Advancement Project)

The report surveyed 40 of the most prominent LGBT organizations in the nation from the Human Rights Campaign, the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, and Victory Fund, Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, and National Center for Lesbian Rights to smaller organizations like Log Cabin Republicans, SoulForce, the Trevor Project, and In The Life Media, and even some state-wide and local organizations like Empire State Pride Agenda, Equality California, and the New York City Gay & Lesbian Anti-Violence Project.

According to the report, Focus on the Family on its own out fund-raised all 40 LGBT organizations collectively.

Stonewall’s Davis believes that if organizations invested more time in creating a presence in ‘middle America,’ LGBT donors may be more willing to contribute.

“It has been a regular complaint from those in ‘flyover country’ that the national LGBT movement needs to focus more on the very clear and obvious lack of equilibrium in equality around the country,” Davis told the Blade. “The stark imbalance when you look at a state like Indiana vs. a state like New York makes it hard for folks in those states with less equality to believe the national movement is working for them. That turns off a lot of potential donors who are motivated to give, but feel they have few outlets to do so that will directly impact their daily lives.”

Some good news reported by MAP, however, is that most of the 40 organizations studied have turned their finances around from a 2009 low, with revenue exceeding expenses this year — contrasting with 2009 when expenses outpaced revenue — and most LGBT organizations report a general increase in revenue coupled with a general decrease in expenses.

LGBT organizations have also kept control of the cost of fundraising with only 11 percent annual expenses on average going toward fundraising at the 40 largest LGBT organizations, and the other 89 percent of expenses being split between programs & services (79 percent) and operations (ten percent).

 

4 Comments
  • “It has been a regular complaint from those in ‘flyover country’ that the national LGBT movement needs to focus more on the very clear and obvious lack of equilibrium in equality around the country,”

    I agree w/them. Why aren’t the big expending more effort and cash into those under served areas? They have the cash and resources.

  • I can think of two reasons I don’t give. 1.) All the LGBT groups are focused on racial minorities and transgenders. They hate gay white men even though we are most of the community numerically and expect us to feel guilty for being white and male. It’s political correctness run amuck. 2.) The LGBT groups are ineffectual with the exception of Lambda Legal winning Romer v. Evans and Lawrence v. Texas. And then Lambda fired the team that won each. HRC has never won anything except cheering while Barak Obama won the White House. Big whoopie. The Task Force dropped LG from their name just to hide how ineffectual they are. I only give to effective organizations: these groups are dysfunctional and ineffectual. Why give them a check, just because they call themselves LGBT and I happen to be gay? Not enough reason.

  • Rick, it’s even simpler. The causes that excite and energize the gay left (i.e., the wholly-owned subsidiaries of the national Democratic party) just aren’t that all that important to me. I’d rather allocate my increasingly scarce dollars to organizations that I see are doing good, locally, in a very direct way, like Whitman-Walker.

  • I contribute to many of the organizations cited in the article above including the Stonewall Democrats, the Task Force, the HRC, and the Victory Fund as well as some not named such as Equality Pa and the ACLU of Pa. And I have been making these donations for many, many years as well as donating my time and energy as an actvist for glbt equality.

    I consider it a total cop-out to say that lgbt individuals living in Indiana or elsewhere in the heartland have not benefited and feel ignored by the major lgbt organizations. If you are jealous of the progress made in New York state, don’t bash the national organizations; get busy, donate to local lgbt organizations, and create change in Indiana and everywhere else in the heatland.

    It is a sad commentary on the lgbt community that so few donate to lgbt organizations be they local or national. Equality will only be achieved when all gays and lesbians take ownership of the moverment and nothing says ownership like donating your own hard earned dollars.

    No excuses, no rationalizing, no cop-outs, if you’re not donating your bucks, your time, your energy to local and/or national organizations, you’re just a leach hoping that someone else will do the grunt work and deliver equality to you, gift wrapped, with no effort or sacrifice on your part.

© Copyright Brown, Naff, Pitts Omnimedia, Inc. 2014. All rights reserved.
Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin