Connect with us

Local

Biddle beats out Vincent Orange for interim post

Published

on

Sekou Biddle

Ward 4 school board member Sekou Biddle, who won an interim appointment to the D.C. City Council last week, says he’s a strong supporter of LGBT rights, including same-sex marriage.

Biddle, 39, beat former City Council member Vincent Orange (D-Ward 5) and four other Democratic candidates who competed for the interim appointment before the 80-member D.C. Democratic State Committee, which makes interim Counsel appointments.

“I support same-sex marriage,” Biddle told the Blade after the vote. “I think it’s an indication of the kind of city that we have. It’s what makes us, in my opinion, a top-flight, world-class city that we have that level of respect for human and civil rights.”

Biddle will face off against Orange and other candidates expected to enter the race from all political parties in a special citywide election scheduled for April 26.

He was expected to take office immediately in his temporary Council appointment for a seat made vacant after Council member Kwame Brown (D-At-Large) won election as City Council Chairman.

Before getting elected to the school board, Biddle began his career as a classroom teacher for eight years. He later served in leadership positions in education advocacy organizations, including his current post as executive director of the group Jumpstart.

Last week’s vote by the State Committee came after each of the candidates spoke before the committee and an overflowing crowd that gathered in a meeting room at the Democratic National Committee headquarters on Capitol Hill.

The Gertrude Stein Democratic Club, the city’s largest LGBT political group, endorsed Biddle in his race for the school board, where he has served since 2007.

Three Stein Club members who also are members of the D.C. Democratic State Committee endorsed and campaigned for Biddle in his quest for the committee’s appointment. The three are Jeffrey Richardson, the Stein Club president; Lateefah Williams, the club’s vice president for legislation and political affairs; and Alexandra Beninda, the club treasurer.

He also received the endorsement of Brown, who beat Orange in the hotly contested race in November for the Council chair race. At least three other Council members – Mary Cheh (D-Ward 3), Harry Thomas (D-Ward 5), and Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) also endorsed Biddle.

Mayor Vincent Gray remained neutral in the contest but some of his top political operatives backed Biddle. This prompted many political observers to conclude that the city’s political establishment had shifted its support from Orange – who was considered the frontrunner just two weeks ago – to Biddle.

Orange came out strongly against same-sex marriage during his unsuccessful race for mayor in 2006. When he ran against Brown for the Council chair seat last year he announced he had changed his position to support the city’s same-sex marriage law. But he was less clear about whether he would support or oppose holding a voter initiative seeking to overturn the marriage equality law, which took effect last March.

It took three rounds of voting for Biddle to nail down his victory over Orange Thursday night. With 74 of the 80 State Committee members present to vote, Biddle won on the third round by a vote of 40 to 31. Three ballots cast by committee members were disqualified because they voted for one of the other candidates that were eliminated after the first round of voting.

Only Biddle, Orange and candidate Stanley Mayes, a Ward 1 political activist, received any votes in the six-candidate race.

Many of the observers at the State Committee meeting were looking toward gay Council member David Catania (I-At-Large) as a possible predictor of what might happen in the April special election.

Catania stunned the city’s political establishment in 1997 when, running as a Republican, he defeated Democratic frontrunner Arrington Dixon in a special election to win his at-large Council seat.

Just 7 percent of the city’s registered voters turned out for the special election. But gays and Republican voters turned out in force, giving Catania his margin of victory over Dixon, a former City Council chairman who some observers said was overly complacent in his campaign.

Catania won re-election to a full term the following year and has retained his seat since that time. He withdrew from the Republican Party in 2004 to become an independent after the GOP and President George W. Bush embraced a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

Some local political pundits say pro-gay Republican Patrick Mara, who won election in November to the school board from Ward 1, could be the next “Catania” in the April special election.  With a low voter turnout and support from Republicans and gays, among other groups, Mara supporters say he has a shot at winning. He has yet to announce whether he plans to run, although insiders believe he will enter the race.

Catania unofficially backed Mara when Mara ran against and defeated former Republican Council member Carol Schwartz two years ago in the Republican primary. Mara lost the general election to Democrat turned independent Michael Brown in the general election. As a friend of Mara’s, some observers are wondering if Catania will throw his support and political organization behind Mara, with the possibility of Mara coming out ahead if Biddle and Orange split the Democratic vote.

Some gays, including David Mariner, executive director of the D.C. LGBT community center, backed Orange in last year’s council chair race, saying Orange has come around to support LGBT issues and was more qualified as an attorney and accountant to address the city’s budget and economic development issues. Mariner said he has yet to decide whom to support in the April special election.

Ben Young, a spokesperson for Catania, said Catania has no comment at the present time on the upcoming Council special election and the potential candidates that might run in the race.

Richardson of the Stein Club said the comparison between Catania and Mara would not likely apply in this year’s special election because Biddle is expected to run a vigorous campaign and line up support from large numbers of gay voters.

Like Biddle, Mara supports same-sex marriage and has expressed strong support for all other LGBT-related issues.

Biddle told the Blade that his political ties to the LGBT community are strong.

“In terms of politics and endorsements, I got my start in the LGBT community,” he said. “When I ran in 2007 for the Board of Education, the Stein Club was the first one to endorse me, and that gave my candidacy a lot of momentum and visibility. I’ve built a solid relationship since I’ve been in office and I think a level of trust.”

He said he considers himself a “progressive” on a wide range of city issues and hopes to draw support from all sections of the city.

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

District of Columbia

D.C. police arrest man for burglary at gay bar Spark Social House  

Suspect ID’d from images captured by Spark Social House security cameras

Published

on

Spark Social House (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

D.C. police on Feb. 18 arrested a 63-year-old man “of no fixed address” for allegedly stealing cash from the registers at the gay bar Spark Social House after unlawfully entering the bar at 2009 14th St., N.W., around 12:04 a.m. after it had closed for business, according to a police incident report.

“Later that day officers canvassing for the suspect located him nearby,” a separate police statement says. “63-year-old Tony Jones of no fixed address was arrested and charged with Burglary II,” the statement says.

The police incident report states that the bar’s owner, Nick Tsusaki, told police investigators that the bar’s security cameras captured the image of a man who has frequently visited the bar and was believed to be homeless.

“Once inside, the defendant was observed via the establishment’s security cameras opening the cash register, removing U.S. currency, and placing the currency into the left front pocket of his jacket,” the report says.

Tsusaki told the Washington Blade that he and Spark’s employees have allowed Jones to enter the bar many times since it opened last year to use the bathroom in a gesture of compassion knowing he was homeless. Tsusaki said he is not aware of Jones ever having purchased anything during his visits.

According to Tsusaki, Spark closed for business at around 10:30 p.m. on the night of the incident at which time an employee did not properly lock the front entrance door. He said no employees or customers were present when the security cameras show Jones entering Spark through the front door around 12:04 a.m. 

Tsusaki said the security camera images show Jones had been inside Spark for about three hours on the night of the burglary and show him taking cash out of two cash registers. He took a total of $300, Tsusaki said.

When Tsusaki and Spark employees arrived at the bar later in the day and discovered the cash was missing from the registers they immediately called police, Tsusaki told the Blade. Knowing that Jones often hung out along the 2000 block of 14th Street where Spark is located, Tsusaki said he went outside to look for him and saw him across the street and pointed Jones out to police, who then placed him under arrest.

A police arrest affidavit filed in court states that at the time they arrested him police found the stolen cash inside the pocket of the jacket Jones was wearing. It says after taking him into police custody officers found a powdered substance in a Ziploc bag also in Jones’s possession that tested positive for cocaine, resulting in him being charged with cocaine possession in addition to the burglary charge.

D.C. Superior Court records show a judge ordered Jones held in preventive detention at a Feb. 19 presentment hearing. The judge then scheduled a preliminary hearing for the case on Feb. 20, the outcome of which couldn’t immediately be obtained. 

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Judge rescinds order against activist in Capital Pride lawsuit

Darren Pasha accused of stalking organization staff, board members, volunteers

Published

on

Darren Pasha (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

A D.C. Superior Court judge on Feb.18 agreed to rescind his earlier ruling declaring local gay activist Darren Pasha in default for failing to attend a virtual court hearing regarding an anti-stalking lawsuit brought against him by the Capital Pride Alliance, the group that organizes D.C.’s annual Pride events.

The Capital Pride lawsuit, initially filed on Oct. 27, 2025, accuses Pasha of engaging in a year-long “course of conduct” of “harassment, intimidation, threats, manipulation, and coercive behavior” targeting Capital Pride staff, board members, and volunteers.

In his own court filings without retaining an attorney, Pasha has strongly denied the stalking related allegations against him, saying “no credible or admissible evidence has been provided” to show he engaged in any wrongdoing. 

Judge Robert D. Okum nevertheless on Feb. 6 approved a temporary stay-away order requiring Pasha to stay at least 100 feet away from Capital Pride’s staff, volunteers, and board members until the time of a follow-up court hearing scheduled for April 17. He reduced the stay-away distance from 200 yards as requested by Capital Pride.

In his two-page order issued on Feb. 18, Okun stated that Pasha explained that he was involved in a scooter accident in which he was injured and his phone was damaged, preventing him from joining the Feb. 6 court hearing.

“Therefore, the court finds there is a good cause for vacating the default,” Okun states in his order.

At the time he initially approved the default order at the Feb. 6 hearing that Pasha didn’t attend, Okun scheduled an April 17 ex parte proof hearing in which Capital Pride could have requested a ruling in its favor seeking a permanent anti-stalking order against Pasha.

In his Feb. 18 ruling rescinding the default order Okun changed the April 17 ex parte proof hearing to an initial scheduling conference hearing in which a decision on the outcome of the case is not likely to happen.

In addition, he agreed to consider Pasha’s call for a jury trial and gave Capital Pride 14 days to contest that request. The Capital Pride lawsuit initially called for a non-jury trial by judge.

One request by Pasha that Okum denied was a call for him to order Capital Pride to stop its staff or volunteers from posting information about the lawsuit on social media. Pasha has said the D.C.-based online blog called DC Homos, which Pasha claims is operated by someone associated with Capital Pride, has been posting articles portraying him in a negative light and subjecting him to highly negative publicity.

“The defendant has not set forth a sufficient basis for the court to restrict the plaintiff’s social media postings, and the court therefore will deny the defendant’s request in his social media praecipe,” Okun states in his order. 

A praecipe is a formal written document requesting action by a court.

Pasha called the order a positive development in his favor. He said he plans to file another motion with more information about what he calls the unfair and defamatory reports about him related to the lawsuit by DC Homos, with a call for the judge to reverse his decision not to order Capital Pride to stop social media postings about the lawsuit.    

Pasha points to a video interview on the LGBTQ Team Rayceen broadcast, a link to which he sent to the Washington Blade, in which DC Homos operator Jose Romero acknowledged his association with Capital Pride Alliance.

Capital Pride Executive Director Ryan Bos didn’t immediately respond to a message from the Blade asking whether Romero was a volunteer or employee with Capital Pride. 

Pasha also said he believes the latest order has the effect of rescinding the temporary stay away order against him approved by Okun in his earlier ruling, even though Okun makes no mention of the stay away order in his latest ruling. Capital Pride attorney Nick Harrison told the Blade the stay away order “remains in full force and effect.”

Harrison said Capital Pride has no further comment on the lawsuit.

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Trans activists arrested outside HHS headquarters in D.C.

Protesters demonstrated directive against gender-affirming care

Published

on

(Photo by Alexa B. Wilkinson)

Authorities on Tuesday arrested 24 activists outside the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services headquarters in D.C.

The Gender Liberation Movement, a national organization that uses direct action, media engagement, and policy advocacy to defend bodily autonomy and self-determination, organized the protest in which more than 50 activists participated. Organizers said the action was a response to changes in federal policy mandated by Executive Order 14187, titled “Protecting Children from Chemical and Surgical Mutilation.”

The order directs federal agencies and programs to work toward “significantly limiting youth access to gender-affirming care nationwide,” according to KFF, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that provides independent, fact-based information on national health issues. The executive order also includes claims about gender-affirming care and transgender youth that critics have described as misinformation.

Members of ACT UP NY and ACT UP Pittsburgh also participated in the demonstration, which took place on the final day of the public comment period for proposed federal rules that would restrict access to gender-affirming care.

Demonstrators blocked the building’s main entrance, holding a banner reading “HANDS OFF OUR ‘MONES,” while chanting, “HHS—RFK—TRANS YOUTH ARE NO DEBATE” and “NO HATE—NO FEAR—TRANS YOUTH ARE WELCOME HERE.”

“We want trans youth and their loving families to know that we see them, we cherish them, and we won’t let these attacks go on without a fight,” said GLM co-founder Raquel Willis. “We also want all Americans to understand that Trump, RFK, and their HHS won’t stop at trying to block care for trans youth — they’re coming for trans adults, for those who need treatment from insulin to SSRIs, and all those already failed by a broken health insurance system.”

“It is shameful and intentional that this administration is pitting communities against one another by weaponizing Medicaid funding to strip care from trans youth. This has nothing to do with protecting health and everything to do with political distraction,” added GLM co-founder Eliel Cruz. “They are targeting young people to deflect from their failure to deliver for working families across the country. Instead of restricting care, we should be expanding it. Healthcare is a human right, and it must be accessible to every person — without cost or exception.”

(Photo by Cole Witter)

Despite HHS’s efforts to restrict gender-affirming care for trans youth, major medical associations — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Endocrine Society — continue to regard such care as evidence-based treatment. Gender-affirming care can include psychotherapy, social support, and, when clinically appropriate, puberty blockers and hormone therapy.

The protest comes amid broader shifts in access to care nationwide. 

NYU Langone Health recently announced it will stop providing transition-related medical care to minors and will no longer accept new patients into its Transgender Youth Health Program following President Donald Trump’s January 2025 executive order targeting trans healthcare. 

Continue Reading

Popular