District of Columbia
D.C. officials monitoring Mpox outbreak in Africa for possible local impact
New, more potentially fatal strain declared global health emergency
The D.C. Department of Health and Whitman-Walker Health are closely monitoring an outbreak of a new, more virulent strain of Mpox in several African nations that prompted the World Health Organization on Aug. 15 to declare the outbreak a global health emergency.
LGBTQ health advocates in Los Angles have been working with that city’s public health officials to ensure the LGBTQ community, especially gay and bisexual men, become vaccinated with the existing Mpox vaccine, which is deemed effective in preventing or lessening the severity of an Mpox infection.
In the 2022 Mpox outbreak in the U.S., men who have sex with men accounted for the largest number of Mpox cases, with more than 90 percent of the cases occurring in men who were gay, bi, or straight.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which closely monitored and took action to curtail the 2022 Mpox outbreak in the U.S., has said no cases so far of the more virulent strain in Africa, referred to as the clade 1 strain, have been documented in the U.S.
But CDC officials, along with officials with the D.C. Department of Health, referred to as D.C. Health, and Whitman-Walker Health, say they are taking steps to ensure they are prepared if the new strain surfaces in the U.S. and in the D.C. area.
International health officials expressed concern after at least one case of a person infected with the new more virulent strain was diagnosed in Sweden, marking the first case outside the African continent. Information surfacing from Africa in August showed that at least 500 people had died from Mpox in the current outbreak.
“D.C. Health is monitoring the situation very closely and taking the necessary steps to ensure preparedness,” according to a statement released by D.C. Health to the Washington Blade
“We have treated over 300 patients with Mpox, with most of the cases occurring in 2022,” a statement released on Sept. 9 by Whitman-Walker Health says. “We continue to see sporadic cases, with 11 cases in the last year,” the statement says. It says the most recent Mpox case it has treated occurred this July.
Dr. Kyle Benda, who serves as manager of Whitman-Walker’s Sexual Medicine and Acute Rapid Treatment Clinic, said all of the Mpox patients Whitman-Walker has seen have had the less virulent strain of Mpox that surfaced in the 2022 outbreak in the U.S. and worldwide — referred to as clade 2 Mpox.
“We have not seen any cases recently or cases we believe to be due to the clade 1 outbreak occurring in Africa,” Benda told the Blade. “We have been able to treat patients with Mpox through use of tecovirimat obtained from the CDC through their expanded access program.”
He was referring to the medication approved in 2022 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as an effective treatment for Mpox.
Similar to nationwide U.S. data, statistics released by D.C. Health about the demographic breakdown of the 2022-2023 Mpox outbreak in D.C. shows that men, especially African-American men, along with gay and bisexual men, made up the largest number of Mpox cases.
The D.C. data show that men made up 96.3 percent of the D.C. cases, with women making up 1.8 percent of the cases. The data show that gay men accounted for 54.8 percent of the cases, bisexuals accounted for 6.7 percent of the cases, and those whose sexual orientation was unknown accounted for 31.4 percent of the cases.
The CDC and other health experts have pointed out that Mpox is transmitted from skin-to-skin contact, including contact with someone who may have body sores and through bodily fluids, as well as from shared bedding or clothing. Sexual contact is one of the leading modes of transmission, the experts have said.
The most common symptoms, health officials have said, include pimples or blisters on the face, body, and genitals. Other symptoms include fever, chills, headaches, muscle aches, or swelling of the lymph nodes.
Benda said Mpox transmission from sexual relations, especially for gay and bisexual men, often occurs when the typical outbreak of sores or blisters on the skin occurs internally such as in the anal canal and is not immediately detectable in the early stage of the infection.
Like other health officials, LGBTQ health advocates say the most important steps to take for those at risk for Mpox, especially gay and bi men, is to get vaccinated. The vaccination requires one injection followed by a second dose injection 28 days later.
Benda said Whitman-Walker has the vaccination shots to give to anyone who feels they may be at risk for Mpox, including people who are not currently enrolled as a Whitman-Walker patient. The statement released by D.C. Health says the vaccinations are widely available throughout the city at most pharmacies and health and medical offices.
It says for those who may not have insurance coverage for the cost of the vaccination and who may be economically challenged, they can get vaccinated at the D.C. Health and Wellness center at 77 P St., N.E.
“We encourage all of our patients who may have an increased risk of Mpox to get vaccinated, particularly patients who may have had only one dose of the two-dose series or who have not been vaccinated at all,” Whitman-Walker’s Benda told the Blade.
Health experts, including officials with D.C. Health, have said the mostly widespread access to the Mpox vaccine is what resulted in the dramatic decline in the number of cases in the U.S. and the D.C. area in late 2023 and 2024.
When asked if a booster shot may be needed for those who have been fully vaccinated in the past two years, D.C. Health said in its statement, “Currently, there is no recommendation for more than two doses in most people.”
The statement adds, “Those with an occupational risk, like research laboratorians who handle cultures or animals contaminated with Mpox virus directly, are recommended to receive booster doses at 2 – 10 years depending on the nature of their work.”
Data released by D.C. Health shows that out of the total number of vaccinations given in D.C. as of earlier this year, 83.4 percent of those vaccinated were men and 74.5 percent of those vaccinated were gay men. The data show 12.2 percent were bisexual, and 0.9 percent were lesbian. Women consisted of 6.5 percent of D.C. residents receiving the Mpox vaccine.
The Comings & Goings column is about sharing the professional successes of our community. We want to recognize those landing new jobs, new clients for their business, joining boards of organizations and other achievements. Please share your successes with us at [email protected].
Congratulations to Carla Lester, LICSW on her new position as Chief Program Officer with SMYAL. Upon accepting the position she said, “SMYAL deeply aligns with my passion for honoring, protecting, and upholding the rights of all individuals, particularly LGBTQ+ youth and others who have been historically underserved, to belong to communities that affirm their identities, treat them with dignity and respect, and support their well-being. At this point in my career, I was ready to transition to an organization whose mission more closely reflected my values and was rooted in the community. SMYAL offered the opportunity to serve both an organization and a population whose mission not only resonates deeply with me but also intersects with my own multiple identities.”
Lester is a healthcare and human services executive with more than 20 years of experience in behavioral health, federal and state health insurance programs, housing, health care, education, and community-based services. She has held senior roles at Carelon Behavioral Health, Pathways to Housing and N Street Village, leading clinical programs, Housing First initiatives, homeless outreach, trauma-informed services, and integrated case management.
She earned master’s degrees in Social Work and Divinity, and maintains active clinical social work licenses in D.C. and Maryland.
Congratulations also to Tad Czyzewski on his new position as Chief Development Officer at SMYAL. On accepting the position, he said, “While I’ve spent much of my nonprofit career in the arts, the current social and political environments made me want to apply my skills and passion more directly toward supporting and strengthening our community. SMYAL and this role felt like the right place to do that.”
Czyzewski brings more than two decades of experience in nonprofit leadership and strategy, fundraising, and business development. Prior to joining SMYAL, he served for eight years as executive director of The Choral Arts Society of Washington, where he led fundraising, financial management, and community engagement. During his tenure, he helped raise more than $15 million in contributed revenue. He guided the organization through a major rebrand and the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to that Czyzewski served as Business and Development Director for Washington Revels, and held leadership and advisory roles with Chorus America, the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, and the National Endowment for the Arts. He began his career in the corporate sector, including at Capital One, where his work in product development and marketing contributed to new financial products and more than $2 billion in deposits.
Czyzewski is a lifelong musician, has performed professionally as a classical singer, including with the Washington National Opera and the National Symphony Orchestra.
District of Columbia
Gay ANC commissioner sues D.C. over police ‘failure’ to pay reward money
Lawsuit says information led to conviction in murder, armed robbery cases
Gay D.C. Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner Tom Donohue on Aug. 11 filed a lawsuit in D.C. Superior Court charging that D.C. police acted improperly and violated a local law by not paying him $30,000 in reward money for his role in helping police identify and arrest — and obtain the subsequent conviction — of one man charged with murder and another man charged with armed robbery in separate cases.
Although the lawsuit alleges improper action by D.C. police in carrying out the city’s Crime Solvers reward program, it names as defendants the District of Columbia and the Office of the Attorney General for D.C., which, among other things, defends the city against lawsuits.
Donohue, who is a member of the city’s ANC Rainbow Caucus consisting of LGBTQ elected ANC members, held a news conference outside the D.C. Superior Court building on Aug. 11 to talk about the lawsuit before entering the courthouse to officially file it.
The lawsuit states that Donohue “provided key video evidence that led to the arrest and conviction” of a man initially charged with first degree murder for allegedly running over a bicyclist with his car after the two got into an argument.
The lawsuit states that police had offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the defendant in that case, but police “arbitrarily slashed the payment to $5,000 without prior notice or policy justification.”
Court records show that D.C. resident Eric Beasley was charged with first degree murder for killing David Farewell, 45, by hitting him with his car on Sept. 4, 2020, on the 2100 block of Young Street, S.E. The records show the evidence for the case was based in large part on video camera footage of the incident obtained by police. Donohoe has said he provided that video camera evidence.
The records show that during Beasley’s October 2023 trial a jury was unable to reach the required unanimous verdict, and the judge declared a mistrial.
According to the records, Beasley later agreed to an offer by prosecutors to plead guilty to a lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced in September 2024 to eight years in prison, a development that angered the victim’s family members who called it a “slap on the wrist,” according to a Fox 5 News report.
Donohue’s lawsuit says the second case in which he provided police with pivotal information involved a series of armed robberies known as the Fairlawn Serial Armed Robbery Spree that occurred in the Fairlawn neighborhood in Southeast D.C. in 2023 near where Donohue lives.
The lawsuit says evidence consisting of video surveillance footage provided by Donohue to police enabled police to determine they initially wrongfully arrested an 18-year-old male for the robberies. “Using Plaintiff’s security video, MPD identified, arrested, and convicted the actual robber, David Crocker, who was sentenced to 18 years in federal prison,” the lawsuit states.
It says one of the detectives investigating the case recommended a $10,000 reward for Donohue’s help in the case based on the police Crime Solvers reward program. The detective’s recommendation was approved by then-Assistant D.C. Police Chief Kyle Ramey on Aug. 4, 2025, according to the lawsuit.
But it adds, “Nevertheless, MPD improperly withheld payment.”
When contacted by the Washington Blade for comment on Donohue’s lawsuit allegations, a D.C. police spokesperson said “MPD does not comment on pending or ongoing litigation.”
Gabriel Shoglow-Rubenstein, who serves as press secretary for the D.C. Office of the Attorney General, which will be defending the city against the Donohue lawsuit, said he would look into obtaining a possible comment but said the office has a similar longstanding policy of not commenting on pending litigation.
“This action arises from the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department’s arbitrary, bad-faith, and legally unsupportable failure to honor its public reward promises and administrative obligations to Plaintiff,” the lawsuit states.
It says the MPD violated the city’s Freedom of Information Act or FOIA law by not responding to Donohue’s request for information and documents related to the decision not to pay him the full reward money.
“MPD’s reduction of Plaintiff’s homicide reward from $25,000 to $5,000, and its withholding of his approved $10,00 robbery reward, were undertaken completely devoid of written standards, making such decisions inherently arbitrary, capricious, and an abuse of administrative discretion,” it says.
It calls for Donohue to be awarded $30,000 in compensatory damages consisting of the $20,000 “unpaid balance” for the homicide case reward and $10,000 for the robbery case reward. It also calls for reimbursement for “reasonable” litigation costs and attorney’s fees. Donohue told the Washington Blade that at this time he is representing himself without an attorney.
Donohue told the Blade that the refusal by D.C. police to pay him the full reward money also limited his plans to donate some of that money to the family of murder victim David Farewell to help pay for a burial stone. He said that due to the family’s limited resources Farewell is buried in an unmarked grave
District of Columbia
D.C.’s Mary’s House For Older Adults names new executive director
Charlene Leach to succeed Imani Woody as leader of LGBTQ-supportive seniors home
The board of directors of Mary’s House for Older Adults, the D.C.-based home dedicated to providing affordable housing for LGBTQ seniors, has announced it has named longtime nonprofit organization leader A. Charlene Leach as its new executive director.
Leach, who is now serving in the executive director’s position, is succeeding Dr. Imani Woody, the Mary’s House founding president and CEO, who announced her retirement from her official leadership role at Mary’s House on July 7.
Woody, who holds a PhD in Human Services, is credited with playing the lead role over many years in arranging both city and private funding needed to construct and operate the Mary’s House three-story building located at 401 Anacostia Road, S.E., in the city’s Fort DuPont neighborhood.
“With over three decades of nonprofit experience and 15 years serving as an executive director, Charlene brings a wealth of knowledge in organizational leadership, program development, and community engagement,” the Mary’s House board says in a statement.
“Her proven track record of building impactful programs and leading mission-driven organizations makes her uniquely suited to guide Mary’s House into its next phase of growth,” the statement continues. “Charlene is deeply aligned with the mission of Mary’s House and is committed to advancing its work to provide safe, inclusive housing and supportive services for LGBTQ+ older adults,” it says. “Under her leadership, the organization will continue to expand its impact while remaining grounded in the values that define our community.”
Leach’s LinkedIn page shows she has most recently served since 2022 as executive director of the African American AIDS Task Force in Minneapolis. Prior to that, it shows she served as executive director of the Fredericksburg Area Health and Support Services organization in Fredericksburg, Va., and before that as director of development for the D.C.-Baltimore area Women’s Collective.
Her LinkedIn page says she has been involved with Mary’s House as a volunteer and grant writer since 2016.
The newly built and enlarged Mary’s House, which opened in March 2025, with a grand opening ceremony held in May 2025 attended by D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, includes 15 single-occupancy residential apartments and more than 5,000 square feet of shared communal living space.
An earlier statement released by the Mary’s House board announcing Woody’s retirement said Woody would continue to be involved with the organization as a member of the board. The earlier statement and board’s more recent statement on July 29 announcing Leach’s appointment as executive director did not say whether the board plans to name someone else as president and CEO, the title that Woody held before her retirement. But the latest statement says Leach will be running Mary’s House’s day-to-day operations as Woody did.
-
Opinions5 days agoWill Michigan save the GOP?
-
Opinions5 days agoTreat our political opponents as neighbors not enemies
-
Pentagon4 days agoSupreme Court ruled Boy Scouts could exclude James Dale. Now he says that same rule protects LGBTQ scouts from Trump
-
Obituary3 days agoBeloved pastor, AIDS activist Rainey Cheeks dies at 74
