Connect with us

Sports

Beijing Winter Olympics end with 8 medals for Out athletes

The 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing concluded Sunday but China’s ongoing abuses of human rights did not go unnoticed

Published

on

Closing Ceremonies of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing (Screenshot via Sky Sport NZ)

BEIJING – The 2022 Winter Olympics concluded Sunday in Beijing with another colorful ceremony, a success for the organizers’ “closed loop” tactic to control and limit COVID-19 exposure and historic wins for several out LGBTQ athletes, including two Americans. But China’s ongoing abuses of human rights and oppression of its citizens’ sexual orientations and gender identities did not go unnoticed. 

Gus Kenworthy Slams Into Wall, Then Slams IOC

One of the most famous Olympians, whose kiss of his boyfriend was seen ‘round the world four years ago, left Beijing without a medal, with some bruises and harsh words for both China and the International Olympic Committee.  

Out skier Gus Kenworthy survived a heartstopping run on the men’s freeski halfpipe Saturday, and told reporters after competition “It was a tough, tough day to do this,” Yahoo! reported. 

Kenworthy said that despite his eighth place finish, he was proud to have competed, but criticized China and the IOC, according to the Guardian

“I am absolutely a fan of the Olympics,” Kenworthy said. “I also think, that being said, because it’s the world stage and everyone is watching, there is an opportunity to create positive change and the IOC could help dictate that change by pushing on certain issues. Those issues are human rights issues.”

British-born Kenworthy, who holds dual citizenry in the U.S. and U.K. and competed for Great Britain, lifted his jacket to reveal a shirt proclaiming he was “Openly British.” He had told previously reporters how important it was to be openly gay, too. “Honestly, it means the world to me to get to compete here as an out proud gay man and to know that there are other out LGBTQ athletes that are here competing,” he told Reuters.

“When there’s human rights and the country’s stance on LGBT, those issues should be taken into consideration by the IOC,” said Kenworthy. 

TeamLGBTQ

Outsports, which has been tracking the out Olympians since before these games began, recorded a total of eight medals for what it dubbed TeamLGBTQ, enough to be ranked 12th overall if they were counted as a separate entry among the 91 nations participating. There were 36 out athletes among the 2,871 in Beijing, the site reported. That’s a new record, even though it’s a far smaller number than the historic showing of 186 out athletes who took part in the Summer Games.

Gold Medalists

The latest medalist taking home gold is out gay skier Sandra Näeslund of Sweden, who is not only the number one skier in the world but the first gold medalist in women’s ski cross who isn’t from Canada, reported ESPN. 

“I am so incredibly proud and grateful!” Näeslund said about the win in a post on Instagram, in which she also thanked her girlfriend and her family in her native language. “I am very proud of how I completed the competition, how I rode with confidence, focus and calm throughout the competition day,” she wrote in Swedish. “I rode stably and fast as I did all season even on that day when it mattered most!”

“Grateful to everyone who has been with and somehow helped me on my journey,” she added. “I have the world’s finest family and girlfriend who support and stand up no matter what.”

Other LGBTQ gold medalists include at least seven players on the Canadian women’s ice hockey team who are openly LGBTQ, making it the gayest Winter Olympic team of all time: Brianne Jenner, Emily Clark, Erin Ambrose, Melodie Daoust, Jamie Lee Rattray, Jill Saulnier and Micah Zandee-Hart; Guillaume Cizeron of France, with ice dancing partner Gabriela Papadakis; and bisexual Ireen Wüst of the Netherlands for speed skating. She also took home a bronze medal. 

Silver Medalist Bruce Mouat

Out gay British curler Bruce Mouat was the final LGBTQ medalist in Beijing, reported Outsports. He returns to Great Britain with Team GB’s second medal, a silver, after an oh-so-close loss to Sweden when their gold medal final went to the curling equivalent of overtime or extra innings, called an extra end. 

“I’m extremely proud of them all, we obviously wanted a different result, but every hour that’s passing we’re feeling better about having this medal around our necks,” Mouat told the BBC. I’m standing with four guys that I’m so proud of.”

Out Olympian Alex Carpenter and her Team USA ice hockey teammates won their fourth Olympic silver medal.

Bronze Medalist Brittany Bowe

Also last week, American speedskater Brittany Bowe of Ocala, Fla. took home her first individual Olympic medal. Bowe made headlines even before the Winter Games began by representing Team USA as the only out LGBTQ flag bearer at the opening ceremony, and by giving up her spot in the 500-meter race to teammate and fellow Floridian Erin Jackson, who slipped and finished third in the qualifers last month. 

Jackson went on to win gold in Beijing, becoming the first Black woman gold medalist in the sport, and thanked Bowe for the opportunity in a post on Instagram

On Thursday, Bowe recorded a 1:14.61 time in the 1,000 meter race to finish just under a second and a half slower than Japanese gold medalist Miho Takagi, and take home bronze, as Insider reported. Bowe congratulated Takagi and silver medalist Jutta Leerdam of the Netherlands in her own post on Instagram. Bowe regularly posts photos of her girlfriend there. 

Finland’s women’s hockey team won its second consecutive bronze medal in women’s ice hockey, with out player Ronja Savolainen playing a big role, reported Outsports.

Showing Pride

TeamUSA’s Andrew Blaser was the first out gay man to compete in skeleton at the Olympics, and although his team did not take home a medal, he did find a way around the IOC’s ban on political statements with a rainbow saddle given to him by a teammate. 

Medal Count

Overall, Norway won the most medals, 37, with an overwhelming 16 gold. Germany and China followed, and although the U.S. won ten more medals than China, TeamUSA finished fourth because it only won 8 gold to China’s 9. You can see the entire list here.

COVID-19

As Yahoo! reported, 67K screening tests were conducted on Friday, and resulted in zero positives, according to Olympics officials. The IOC proclaimed its “closed loop lock down” strategy a huge success. Organizers conducted 1.7M tests, including nearly 14K tests at the Beijing airport on incoming arrivals, and reported a total of 436 positive cases. 

What was lost, according to sports journalist Jay Busbee, was what he called the “finest trait” of the Olympic Games: “the ability for cultures to mix and mingle, to learn from one another, not hide behind petty fears, biases and preconceptions,” he wrote. “Athletes stick with athletes, journalists with journalists, and nobody really gets to know the people of China, since we’re all confined behind fences and bus windows. The closed loop has turned this Olympics from a cultural milestone into a carousel: hotel-media-center-venue-media center-hotel, repeat for 18 days.” 

Snubbed

And that limitation could be one reason why NBC once again snubbed the 36 LGBTQ Olympians, hardly ever spotlighting our heroes’ orientations and identities as significant. “It’s now an Olympic tradition,” Outsports pointed out. One of the few exceptions: Commentator and Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski corrected herself and apologized for misgendering TeamUSA figure skater Timothy LeDuc, the first-ever nonbinary Winter Olympian. Their team’s website needs a correction, too, by the way; It still lists LeDuc as “male.”  

Next Up

The next Summer Games will be held in Paris in 2024 and the next Winter Games are set for Italy’s Milano Cortina in 2026.

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

Sports

2 former NBA players launch cheap anti-trans stunt to exploit WNBA rules

Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White are attempting to extend their finished sports careers through vague gender eligibility policy in the WNBA.

Published

on

The future of transgender participation on the basketball court could change following changes to the league's gender based eligibility policy. (Photo by yobro/Bigstock)

As transgender sports policy continues to make headlines, two former NBA players are attempting to use vague WNBA wording on players’ gender identity to extend their finished professional sports careers.

Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White, two male former professional basketball players who have aligned themselves with the ‘far-right’ political spectrum, have announced that they plan to self-identify as transgender in order to meet the requirements to declare themselves eligible for the WNBA draft.

Freedom last played for the NBA in 2022, while White played his last professional game in 2018.

Both players have explicitly stated that this choice is an attempt to exploit the policy currently in place in the WNBA — one that assumes those who say they identify as transgender women are women — unlike what these two have done.

The WNBA’s collective bargaining agreement states that “only players who are women are eligible to play in the WNBA,” but it does not include more specific language about gender identity or sex assigned at birth, according to The Athletic, The New York Times’s sports publication.

Neither Freedom nor White has previously made any statements about being trans.

“If simply declaring who you are is all that’s required, then I meet every single requirement necessary to compete in the WNBA,” Freedom wrote on X. “Based on the current guidelines, I can and am officially declaring my eligibility for the upcoming WNBA draft in April 2027.”

Hours later, White made a similar statement to Fox News, emphasizing that this was solely an attempt to exploit the policy — an attempt at inclusion — and use it as a loophole to stay relevant in the sport he left in 2018.

“I’m transgender. I’m a woman. I identify as sometimes identifying as a woman for purpose of basketball, professional basketball, so I’ll be declaring for the WNBA draft in 2027 as well,“ White told Fox News. “I think I’d be unstoppable. But I’m a team-first guy. I’m a pass-first kind of player. I do the little things. I led my team in all five major stat categories at Iowa State University, so I do a little bit of everything. I’ll do whatever the coach needs me to do. I’ll do whatever the girls need me to do.”

White also said that he would be open to suing the WNBA if he were not allowed to be a part of the draft, while making transphobic comments about genitalia in the same breath.

“I think the WNBA could come out and make a definitive statement about guys with a pair of balls playing in the Women’s Association,“ White said, saying he doesn’t “want to be discriminated against.”

“I want fair treatment,” White continued while also using the opportunity to promote his run for the U.S. Senate seat in Minnesota. “I’m a young Black, hopefully United States Senator that would like a fair chance to participate as a sometimes-identifying-as-a-transgender-woman athlete.”

“We’re gonna have to have a huge legal battle about discrimination if I can’t play,” he added.

White has made multiple failed attempts to run for office as a Republican since leaving the NBA, with statements surrounding conspiracy theories and his support for Trump coming under fire.

He has faced court actions after falling behind on court-mandated child support payments and has faced family repercussions for his political activities.

White’s grandfather has distanced himself from White, stating: “There’s no way I can support my grandson supporting the GOP, and in essence, Trump.”

In response to Freedom’s X post and White’s announcement, the Women’s National Basketball Players’ Association, the players’ union for the WNBA, released a statement doubling down on its commitment to inclusivity in the sport.

“We embrace justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. Those are the values that unite this Union and allow it to protect women’s sports while creating transformational change,” the statement said in a post on Instagram.

“Hate, abuse, and demonization of any person or group of people, including transgender people, only fuel fear, division, and harm. We will continue to have hard conversations,” the post continued. “But we will not be used as political pawns.”

The statement comes just days after WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert sent a memo to teams attempting to address ongoing discussions around transgender athletes in women’s basketball.

“I know many of you have received questions in recent weeks regarding transgender athlete participation in women’s basketball, and I expect this topic will continue to receive significant attention,” Engelbert wrote in the memo, which was sent Friday afternoon and published in the Associated Press. “I wanted to reach out to share how we are approaching these conversations at the league office and to thank those of you who have responded to questions from the media with thoughtfulness and professionalism.”

“We recognize that this is a complex and nuanced topic, and we will continue to have important conversations with all of you and the Players Association in the weeks and months ahead,” Engelbert said. “We also plan to convene additional discussions and offer listening sessions for any team leaders who would like to participate. Your perspectives and feedback are invaluable, and I appreciate those who have already reached out to share their thoughts.”

The memo, which does not clarify whether the league’s stance on gender eligibility will change or what the ongoing conversations have looked like, comes as political figures — particularly those on the right — continue to fuel debates over transgender participation in women’s sports across the country and across sports.

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis also commented on the ongoing eligibility meetings the WNBA is holding, using the issue to criticize transgender participation in women’s sports.

“WNBA meeting to decide whether 2+2=4 or 2+2=5,” Desantis wrote on X on Saturday.

Indiana Fever player Sophie Cunningham voiced support for barring transgender girls and women from girls’ and women’s sports. Cunningham’s comments sparked small rallies and protests in Seattle and Portland when the Fever were on the road last week.

Despite the loudest voices — and those being covered by non-LGBTQ outlets — highlighting negative takes on transgender inclusion on female sports teams, multiple WNBA members have voiced their support for transgender women participating in sports.

Seattle Storm center Stefanie Dolson and Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve have used their platforms to continue their vocal support for transgender women participating in sports.

“We need to protect trans kids,” Reeve said on Aug. 1. “To me, it’s a human rights issue. Every kid has a right to sports.”

A source familiar with the league told the Blade that the WNBA is not taking Freedom and White’s announcements seriously and is not entertaining what the source characterized as bad-faith efforts to demonize the transgender community. The source emphasized that there are no serious or immediate eligibility issues involving the two men and said their attempts to enter women’s sports do not represent an effort to protect women’s sports.

“The WNBA will not allow bad-faith publicity stunts designed to mock or demean others to dictate serious conversations about league policy,” the source told the Blade on Tuesday. “There are no immediate eligibility issues affecting the WNBA.”

Continue Reading

Egypt

Iran, Egypt play in World Cup ‘Pride Match’

FIFA allowed Pride flags inside Seattle stadium

Published

on

(Screen capture via KOMO News/YouTube)

Iran and Egypt on Friday faced off during the World Cup’s “Pride Match” in Seattle.

Iran is among the handful of countries in which consensual same-sex sexual relations remain punishable by death. Discrimination and persecution based on sexual orientation and gender identity is commonplace in Egypt.

Friday’s match coincided with Pride weekend in Seattle. The Egyptian Football Association and the Football Federation Islamic Republic of Iran both objected to playing in the “Pride Match.”

Egypt and Iran tied 1-1.

FIFA, for its part, allowed Pride flags inside the stadium during the match.

“The FIFA World Cup 2026 is an inclusive event that welcomes people from all backgrounds,” a FIFA spokesperson told the Washington Blade in a statement. “Fans of all sexual orientations and gender identities are welcome at matches and events. General statements of human rights, including rainbow flags and other flags representing sexual orientation and gender identity, are permitted under the FIFA World Cup 2026™ Stadium Code of Conduct and may be displayed inside stadiums provided they are used in a manner consistent with the code.”

Human Rights Watch welcomed FIFA’s decision to allow Pride flags inside the stadium. Outright International, a global LGBTQ and intersex rights group, distributed Pride flags in Seattle on Friday, which was Pride Match Day.

“Visibility matters,” said Outright International Executive Director Maria Sjödin. “Pride is now being celebrated in more than 100 countries, including this weekend in Seattle. For many LGBTIQ people, seeing a Pride flag in public is a reminder that they are not alone, and that their rights and dignity are recognized.”

FIFA President Gianni Infantino earlier this year told Die Weltwoche, a Swiss magazine, that “there will be no ‘Pride Match’ at the (FIFA) World Cup.”

“There will be a FIFA World Cup match in Seattle, and on the same day, events organized by external organizations will be taking place in the city,” said Infantino. “But that has nothing to do with the match itself.”

Peter Tatchell, a long-time LGBTQ activist from the U.K. who is director of the Peter Tatchell Foundation, was among those who traveled to Seattle for Friday’s match. Tatchell accused FIFA of not vetting World Cup teams — specifically Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Senegal, Qatar, Tunisia, Morocco, Iraq, Uzbekistan, and Algeria — over whether they would allow gay players.

“FIFA is protecting LGBT+ visibility in the stands while failing to protect LGBT+ players on the pitch,” said Tatchell.

Continue Reading

Out & About

Orioles take on Nats for Pride Night

First 15,000 fans to receive exclusive jersey

Published

on

The Baltimore Orioles take on the Nats for Pride night on Friday. (Photo courtesy the Orioles)

The Baltimore Orioles will take on the Washington Nationals on Friday, June 26 at 7 p.m. for Pride Night at Oriole Park. 

The first 15,000 fans will receive an exclusive Pride Night Orioles jersey. The Washington Blade is a media sponsor of this event. 

To purchase tickets, visit Orioles.com/Tickets

Continue Reading

Popular