Connect with us

Maryland

Transgender veteran once again running for Congress in Md.

Mia Mason is seeking Congressman David Trone’s seat

Published

on

Mia Mason (Photo courtesy of Mia Mason for Congress)

Transgender military veteran Mia Mason announced July 9 that she is running for Maryland’s 6th Congressional District in the 2024 cycle. 

This is her third time running for Congress, as she also ran for Maryland’s 1st Congressional District in 2020 and 2022. Mason, if elected, would be Maryland’s first openly LGBTQ member of Congress and the first trans military veteran in Congress.

Delaware state Sen. Sarah McBride, who is also trans, is running for Congress in her state. She and Mason would be the first openly trans women in Congress if they were to win their respective races.

Incumbent Democrat David Trone announced earlier this year that he is running for Maryland’s open U.S. Senate seat, leaving the Democratic primary open. State Del. Joe Vogel (D-Montgomery County), who also hopes to be Maryland’s first openly LGBTQ member of Congress, is one of the five other candidates who are seeking the Democratic nomination.

“I’m a military service member who has served my country and I’ve had to fight for equity and equality,” Mason told the Washington Blade during a recent interview. “I wish to continue that fight in Congress by becoming the first trans military veteran in Congress.”

Mason said that one of the key issues of her campaign is equal access to health care for Marylanders, especially her fellow veterans. 

“I used to be able to go to D.C. and Walter Reed, I used to be able to go to the Baltimore VA, but unfortunately, I’m having to go to Martinsburg, W. Va., like many of our other military veterans, so we should expand our health care here in Frederick,” Mason said. “I want to make sure that we’re able to take care of everybody and that includes the folks over in Washington County and Allegany County, that they can get to somewhere when they need affordable health care.”

Mason mentioned the importance of expanding the role of being in Congress to making sure that the voices of constituents are heard, and that action is taken to address them. 

“I think speaking about [constituents] personally, hearing their stories and recording that into the House records on the House floor is one of the most impactful things, so that regardless of what happens at the end of the day, their name, their story, their issues are heard and it’s recorded for the Library of Congress that will live longer than all of us,” Mason said. “And it will be on record because I was able to answer their questions and deliver a message and hopefully a passing bill or piece of legislation that will get to the president’s desk that will directly impact that local community.”

Mason also mentioned curbing gun violence in Montgomery County, combatting the effects of climate change in Maryland and expanding green jobs in the state as key parts of her platform as well. 

“We want to make sure that the microgrids and solar power and wind power are available to us and that we actually get the credits that the state is providing and provide the federal subsidies to the state to make sure that we can continue to grow these green jobs for our communities,” Mason said.

Her campaign has launched a unique way for constituents to get to know Mason and her team by providing a phone number for voters to call Mason directly. By calling 410-94-MASON voters can talk to Mason about their concerns and ask her any questions.

“I want to be known as the candidate who answers the phone,” Mason said. “By calling the number, voters can talk to me directly.”

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

Maryland

Anne Arundel schools updates gender identity regulation following Trump administration threats

District facing federal lawsuit, White House threats over guidelines

Published

on

Anne Arundel County Public Schools Supt. Mark Bedell sent a message to families on Aug. 19, 2026. about an update to a school system regulation on gender identity. (Photo by Ulysses Muñoz for the Baltimore Banner)

By JESSICA CALEFATI | Under pressure from the Trump-Vance administration, Anne Arundel County Public Schools Supt. Mark Bedell announced Wednesday the district had updated a regulation intended to protect transgender students’ right to be called by their chosen name.

The revised language makes clear that district rules on gender identity do not block parents’ rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act as the federal government alleged last month, and that a student’s gender identity will not be treated as confidential medical information.

“No policy, guideline, or practice may limit or otherwise interfere with parental rights under FERPA,” Bedell wrote in a Wednesday letter to the community. “This includes any information maintained in education records that relates to gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, preferred name, or preferred pronouns.”

The rest of this article can be read on the Baltimore Banner’s website.

Continue Reading

Maryland

Advocates for trans students urge Md. to fight White House threats

Four school districts under federal investigation

Published

on

(Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

By JESSICA CALEFATI | Allies of transgender children are urging state education officials to fight back against the Trump-Vance administration, which has threatened to punish a growing number of Maryland school districts over local policies that affirm students’ gender identities.

The advocates testified Tuesday morning before the Maryland State Board of Education — one day after the U.S. Education and Justice departments alleged that Anne Arundel County’s school system violated federal student privacy law by withholding a student’s gender identity from their parents. A spokesperson for the district said Monday legal counsel had not yet reviewed the claims and that the district had no further comment.

School districts in Prince George’s, Montgomery, and Frederick Counties were already under investigation for allegedly violating Title IX, the civil rights law that prohibits sex-based discrimination. The federal government last month threatened to revoke funding from the districts because they allow trans students to use restrooms and locker rooms that align with their identities.

The rest of this article can be read on the Baltimore Banner’s website.

Continue Reading

Maryland

White House threatens Anne Arundel schools over gender identity policy

District faces possible legal action or loss of federal funding

Published

on

The U.S. Education and Justice Departments together determined Anne Arundel County’s school system violated federal student privacy law by withholding information about a student’s gender identity from the child’s parents. (Photo by Ulysses Muñoz for the Baltimore Banner)

By JESSICA CALEFATI | The Trump-Vance administration on Monday threatened to punish Anne Arundel County’s school system with legal action or the loss of federal funding for allegedly withholding information about a student’s gender identity and transition from the child’s parents.

The U.S. Education and Justice Departments together determined that the suburban Maryland district treats students’ gender identities as confidential medical information that cannot be shared with parents, in violation of federal student privacy law, according to a news release. A federal lawsuit filed against the district earlier this month made similar claims.

“As a mother and a grandmother, it is unconscionable that any school district would hide the most sensitive information about children in their care from their own parents,” U.S. Secretary of Education Linda McMahon said in a statement. “This is not only an affront to basic moral principles, but also to parents’ rights under federal law.”

The rest of this article can be read on the Baltimore Banner’s website.

Continue Reading

Popular