Congratulations, Utah public school students! Schools can no longer teach about contraception or homosexuality in sex-ed, and can opt-out of sex ed completely (h/t AMERICAblog gay)! Think of all the fun you’re going to have with all those pregnancies and diseases, and all of the cool fake science you’re going to learn from your friends like, “you can’t get pregnant if you go to the bathroom right after.” Mazel tov, Utah, on winning the stupidest state legislature of the day award! Now for the news:
- A comprehensive PPIC survey of likely California voters finds that 56% — up from 47% in October of 2008 — favor overturning Proposition 8 to allow same-sex couples to marry in that state, with 72% of Democrats, 56% of independents and 34% of Republicans favoring marriage equality.
- According to ThinkProgress, officials in Philippines tourist town Puerto Galerta are trying to ban gay entertainers after complaints of “vulgar language.”
- Indiana lawmakers are trying to do away with a pro-gay licence plate in that state, according to Bilerico.
- The Catholic Diocese of Sacramento is showing its Christian love by cutting all of the funding to homeless shelter Francis House (you know, named after Catholic saint Francis of Assisi) because the new director is gay-friendly, according to ThinkProgress. Way to double down on hate, there, bishops.
- The Associated Press has put a spotlight on the plight of homeless LGBT youth, a silent epidemic seldom discussed in the LGBT media, let alone the mainstream media (h/t AMERICABLOG gay). We say kudos!
Finally, JoeMyGod brings us the AFER Prop 8 9th Circuit Appeals Court victory highlights reel.
Get out your tissues. This is awesome.
What do you think of the Fast Five Fix? What kind of news and information would you like to see? Do you want to see more national? More international? More local? Events? Pictures? Video? Let us know in the comments below.