Opinions

My protest days are not over

Focus must shift to retaking Senate in 2018

protest Trump, gay news, Washington Blade

(Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

My sincere wish was my protest days were over. Had Hillary Clinton won the presidency they would have been. In recent days, I have often thought if all the young people who have marched and demonstrated since the election had understood how dangerous Trump would be she would now be president having won not only the popular vote by millions but the Electoral College as well.

Instead, since Donald Trump’s election and inauguration protests have again become a way of life for those of us who care about our country and democracy. In my youth I met Martin Luther King, Jr. and fought for civil rights. I marched with Bella Abzug and Gloria Steinem for women’s rights. Got tear gassed in front of the Department of Justice protesting the Vietnam War and picketed the White House for disability rights. Joined Hands-around-the-White House, among other demonstrations, to bring attention to the fight against HIV/AIDS and marched with Elizabeth Taylor in a candlelight procession demanding Ronald Reagan stand up to fight the scourge of AIDS. I was on the Mall marching to fight for LGBT rights. Guess it was too much to hope that at my age I could stop marching and protesting and enjoy the fruits of what we accomplished.

In just the last week I have participated in the Women’s March on Washington and demonstrated in front of the White House to protest Trump’s executive order that tries to ban Muslims from entering the country. I am on the planning committee for the June 11th LGBT Pride March in Washington. Once again there are compelling reasons demanding us to stand up and be heard. Along with millions of other Americans who are clearly feeling the same need we will stand together and speak out because we know Silence = Death.

In just one week the Trump White House is turning the world upside down. He is fighting with Mexico, debating climate change with Prince Charles, leaving out any mention of Jews in his statement on Holocaust Remembrance Day, and banning residents from seven Muslim countries from entering the United States. He has reorganized the National Security Council removing the director of National Intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from the principals committee, which is the meeting for the most senior national security officials and instead adding his chief strategist, Steve Bannon, who was formerly executive chair of Breitbart News, a far-right news, opinion and commentary website that Bannon himself described as “the platform of the Internet-based alt-right” including Nazis and the KKK. Protesters at the White House correctly chanted “End the immigration ban, instead ban Bannon”.

Hundreds of thousands across the nation and the world took to the streets and airports to tell Trump he is wrong and make him understand in reality his ban makes things more dangerous for Americans. The people are speaking and they will continue to do so being joined by business leaders and members of Congress who will not go quietly into the night while Donald Trump and his Rasputin, Steve Bannon, trample on our Constitution.

We must continue to march, protest and organize. Join and support organizations that will defend us and serve us such as the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Southern Poverty Law Center, and the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Then Democrats need to stop fighting each other and stop demanding perfection in our candidates because that is what elected Trump. The Susan Sarandons and Ralph Naders of the world now have the gall to tell us not to stop protesting when it was they, by their stupidity and short-sightedness, who said there was no difference between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump and therefore voting for Clinton wasn’t important.

We must elect a Democratic Congress in 2018. Even the most imperfect Democrat will vote for a Democratic Speaker of the House and Majority Leader in the Senate and Democrats will control the agenda and can stop Trump. That has to be the goal in 2018 and we need to stop the internecine fights in order to do that. Blowhards like Michael Moore think it is fine to threaten Democrats who don’t agree with him on everything with primary challenges. All that will do is make it easier for Republicans to win. Let us work together for at least the next two years and focus on taking Congress and our country back.

Peter Rosenstein is a longtime LGBT rights and Democratic Party activist. He writes regularly for the Blade.

1. Dk6

February 2, 2017 at 9:10 pm

If Hillary Clinton would have won we would still (probably) have a Rethug Senate & most definitely House. If only people, me included, were this engaged during the Obama years, we could have gotten more done, like protesting for ENDA etc. Also, HRC was not good on income inequality, we could have been protesting that too

2. Im Just Sayin

February 3, 2017 at 6:46 am

Peter, I agree that demanding perfection in a candidate is not realistic, but you deemed them to be “our” candidates and there in lies the crux of the problem. Hillary was not “ours” but “theirs.” She was the pre-ordained choice of the super-delegates and party power bosses. Anyone who dared go against this was deemed “undemocratic.” Would there be a President Trump if Joe Biden had been “allowed” to challenge Hillary for the nomination? Perhaps democratic voters are tired of being told to just shut-up and vote for the anointed DNC, DSCC, and DCCC candidates. Not perfect candidates Peter, just better candidates who bring a sense of purpose rather than a sense of entitlement.

• Peter Rosenstein

February 4, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Im Just Sayin- maybe what you say would be taken more seriously and we could have a real discussion if you would be willing to state your feelings with your name attached- being anonymous doesn’t lead to much confidence in what you say. No one has ever told Democratic voters to shut-up-LOL. It wouldn’t do them any good even if they tried. Clearly they couldn’t get away with doing that. No one has ever stopped anyone from challenging in a Democratic Primary- actually the opposite- Democrats allowed even a non-democrat -Sanders- into the primary. That sense of entitlement seems to be in your mind, not a reality- and if you actually looked at the history of Obama, Clinton- both Bill and Hillary- and Biden- you would clearly understand that none of them came from a background of entitlement. They worked hard to get where they were and spoke out for the issues of people who weren’t born entitled. So if you want to share your name- so I can understand who you are and where your views come from- I would be happy to get into a more in-depth discussion with you over this.

• Im Just Sayin

February 4, 2017 at 4:36 pm

My anonymity is not out of a fear to own my comments, it comes out of a reality that unlike you, I don’t have the luxury of stepping away from my professional obligations and opining as a private citizen. I am however somebody who takes the time to read what you write and consider your points. Sometimes I come away enlightened. Sometimes not so much. Regardless, you should have started with a thank you to me for taking the time to read through eight paragraphs of pomposity. No worries though, it won’t happen again. What’s one less Blade reader, right? Yours truly, I’m Not Sayin’

• Peter Rosenstein

February 4, 2017 at 4:49 pm

I am sure we will miss your readership and sorry your professional obligations don’t allow you to speak as a private citizen- thankfully fewer people today have that problem. Considering your strong views it’s a shame you have to work for an organization like that. Many of us are fighting so that changes in the future and that everyone no matter where they work will be able to speak out as a private citizen.

3. Kyle

February 3, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Everyone who failed to vote for Hillary enabled Trump’s (and Bannon’s) rise to power. This fact is inarguable. Now that these people see just how bad things can get under his regime, they want to head to the barricades. Well, if their presence now helps end this tyranny, good. But I cannot forgive them for allowing him to grab power in the first place. We live in a two party system; the very nature of our Constitution and voting laws (not to mention human nature, particularly the nature of the conservative mind) only serves to punish the more progressive party whenever a third party or outside candidate garners votes or depresses the turnout of the Democrats. This isn’t news. We learned this to our horror in 2000. How easily progressives forget. Conservatives will always suck it up and vote for a candidate they dislike, so long as he’s a Republican. Democrats need to do the same, or we’ll keep losing. Bernie didn’t lose because of some Democrat cabal. He lost because he couldn’t close the deal with rank-and-file Democrats. He certainly didn’t impress me. Just a one-note wonder. TBH, I’m flabbergasted that even after the inauguration and the raft of Bannon-authored edicts coming out of the White House, there are some who haven’t come down off their anti-Hillary high horse. I guess self-righteousness is such a powerful drug. Maybe we deserve Trump for all the people in this country who are too proud to admit they were wrong.

Opinions

Blogging my first overseas vacation since COVID

Chronicling life aboard Celebrity APEX

I will be blogging a number of times during my two-week transatlantic cruise and sharing my thoughts and experiences.

The first thing I found is boarding during a pandemic is a little different. People were given specific boarding times yet most arrived at the port when it was convenient for them as many had early check-out times from their hotel or Airbnb in Barcelona. Celebrity didn’t turn anyone away. There was no Wi-fi at the entrance to the terminal so things got a little complicated as many had the information needed on their iPhone Celebrity app. It worked out and when you got inside to the counter they shared a Wi-fi connection.

I knew in advance from a Facebook connection, some childhood friends whom I hadn’t seen in 21 years were going to be onboard. We ended up arriving at the terminal at the same time and caught up for the next hour and a half as we progressed through the boarding process. We all had to take a Covid test and only those with negative results could board. Of the approximately 1,300 people boarding, less than half the possible number for a full ship, I didn’t hear of anyone getting a positive result.

When my negative result came back I was allowed to board and went to find my stateroom on deck 11. The key was at the door with all my information on it. Celebrity was doing everything to limit crew-to-passenger contact. We were asked to keep masks on in all indoor spaces except when eating or drinking, which on a cruise is often, and the crew are all wearing masks. Luggage was delivered to the door.

Shortly after entering my beautiful stateroom there was a knock at the door and my stateroom attendant, Lenie, had come to introduce herself. She didn’t come in but explained how I could reach her anytime and for safety she would only come into the room when I was out. We chatted for a few minutes and I found out she was from the Philippines, had three children, and had worked for Celebrity for 20 years. She was both charming and efficient.

I then took a walk around the ship and was duly impressed. It is beautiful. I walked through the huge buffet where people were happily eating lunch and saw instead of serving yourself there were servers behind each station filling people’s plates. All passengers had on their masks when getting food, as did the crew serving them. It made for a very safe feeling.

Instead of a group muster each passenger was asked to go to their assigned muster station where you were met by staff who explained emergency procedures. You also had to look at a video on the Celebrity app and were then logged in and confirmed you had done so. All efficiently and safely done.

Then I headed to the sail-away party my travel agent, and friends, Scott Moster and his husband Dustin, were hosting in the Iconic suite. The suite has everything from a peloton cycle to a hot tub for eight. It is incredible. I had the chance to catch up with old friends I had sailed with before the pandemic. Then it was a quick tour of the spa and gym open twenty-four hours a day. A way to assuage guilt over all the food and drink. Then back to the stateroom to finish unpacking and change for dinner with good friends in one of the specialty restaurants, EDEN. That meant long pants and a shirt with a collar. That’s as formal as required on this cruise.

The food was superb and we got to meet the chef, Nicholas. An interesting guy who I will interview during the cruise. The menu was a combination of fresh fish, lobster, to filet mignon, all interestingly prepared.

After dinner it was a stop at the Martini bar where a large group of LGBTQ friends had gathered along with some who would become friends. I was surprised when a guy came over and gave me a hug. I didn’t recognize him with his mask on but turned out he was another friend from my past I hadn’t seen in years. It is clearly a small world and the gay world seems even smaller.

Finally headed to my stateroom around midnight, where turndown service had been done, to get some sleep and prepare for day two, and our first stop, Alicante.

Day two and three on the Celebrity APEX

Time flies when on a cruise; maybe it’s the endless food and drink. All passengers received a letter in their room telling us we would need to report for a Covid test on day 5 the first at-sea day before we get to the Canary Islands. I pre-scheduled mine just before what I planned as my first hour at the gym. I expect to go to the gym on all sea days and there will be eight of those.

Each morning I have had coffee, a bagel and orange juice delivered to the stateroom.  I always miss that knock on the door each morning when I am home but then I would miss my daily coffee at Java House so I guess it’s OK.

On day two we stopped at our first port, Alicante, on Spain’s Costa Blanca. I was truly surprised at how beautiful the city is. I joined friends for what turned out to be a three and a half hour walk as we were allowed off the ship on our own without booking a tour. We visited churches and the main market in town. We strolled along the beach and the harbor with great walking and bicycle paths. Alicante is a wonderful mix of old-world charm and modern amenities. One friend ventured up to the castle, Castillo de Santa Barbara, but since the elevator (the easy way up) wasn’t working and it’s a very long, steep climb up the mountain I passed. We arrived back at the ship around 1 p.m. and headed to the Mast bar on deck 14 for burgers and fries. Then some time back in the stateroom before heading to the martini bar for a drink and then to the beautiful APEX theater to see the Shamrock Tenors, four Irish performers who are not only talented but cute to boot.

We decided to try one of the regular restaurants, those not needing reservations and chose Normandy. The food was good and I had shrimp cocktail, rigatoni, and cherries jubilee for dessert.

After dinner it was up to the Rooftop Garden for ‘Silent Disco’. That is where you get a set of headphones with a few channels of disco music, and you dance to the music only you can hear. It’s really fun but by 11:30 my knees gave out and it was off to bed.

Day three dawned nice and sunny and we were docked in Cartagena, located in the autonomous of the region of Murcia. I had an 8:45 excursion and again had breakfast delivered to the room. We were instructed to head to the theater to meet the tour group and sign in for our ‘Journey to Murcia’. Murcia is a city in south-eastern Spain, the capital and most populous city of the Autonomous Community of the Region of Murcia, and the seventh largest city in the country, with a population of 447,182. It is about a forty-minute drive from the port. It is a fascinating city with an incredible history from the Romans to and Moorish influence. There is a beautiful cathedral, isn’t there one in every Spanish city? This being a national holiday in Spain most of the shops were closed saving some on the tour a lot of money. We strolled around the city with our guide giving us a running commentary on its history for about an hour and a half. She was a little hard to understand because not only did she have a heavy accent but she spoke really fast. But it was still fun and we did learn a lot. We made a second stop outside the city at another church where a wedding was being officiated. The bride was beautiful. Then we headed back to the ship for an early departure. Our tour was the last onboard and we sailed not more than thirty minutes after we got there.

Then it was off to the captain’s reception. I had the chance to chat a few moments with the Captain Panagiotis Skylogiannis, who is as charming as are most Greek men. We also met the rest of the senior crew who run the ship. Many said they would be more than happy to sit and get a cup of coffee with me during our at-sea days so I can interview and write about them.

Then it was back to my stateroom again to prepare for another tough night of food and drinking. We went to see Andrew Derbyshire in the theater for the 7:30 show and then to dinner at Cyprus.   After dinner Celebrity hosted the first LGBTQ+ event of the cruise at the EDEN bar. A large crowd showed up, not all gay but they all knew where the fun people would be. The entertainers all showed up there as including the Shamrock Tenors, four talented Irish guys and Andrew Derbyshire, a British actor and singer. We chatted and I will meet him for coffee to do a column on him.

Then about midnight it was back to the stateroom for what some of my friends on board called an early night. Morning would have us docking in Cadiz and we had a private tour planned for over 20 of the people who had booked the trip with Scott Moster, travel agent extraordinaire, taking us to the city of Seville.

Peter Rosenstein is a longtime LGBTQ rights and Democratic Party activist. He writes regularly for the Blade.

Opinions

‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ clouds Powell’s legacy

A final act of redemption

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell (Photo by Susan Montgomery via Bigstock)

The legacy of General Colin Powell is complicated for those in the LGBTQ community. On the one hand, we celebrate that Powell was the first African-American chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of State. On the other, he is also the person who disobeyed the strategic choice of his Commander in Chief, Bill Clinton, on gays in the military.

Powell stood on the steps of the Pentagon reporting how many calls had been received opposing lifting the ban. He testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee that the service of openly gay troops would harm unit cohesion. He argued that race was a “benign characteristic” and being gay was not. Congress codified into statute what had been a regulatory ban on gays in the military, making the law that much harder to change. Almost 14,000 lesbian, gay and bisexual service members were dismissed under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” a rate of two-four service members every day. Some were subjects of witch hunts. Others faced criminal charges. Many endured harassment, assault and threats. Private First Class Barry Winchell was murdered.

Michelle Benecke and I knew when we founded Servicemembers Legal Defense Network that for “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to be repealed, we would have to either win the support or neutralize the opposition of Powell, one of the previously undisclosed strategies described in my new book, “Mission Possible.” Michelle and I first met him at the Arlington, Va., headquarters of America’s Promise. We offered to brief him on the ban’s implementation as he was being asked on the Sunday shows about the law’s efficacy. He agreed to see us.

The question was whether we could find common ground on which to build a new consensus. My theory was that Powell genuinely believed that “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” was a better policy than the one before it. After all, he had testified before the Senate, “We will not ask, we will not witch-hunt, we will not seek to learn orientation.”

“General Powell,” I said, “we have received nearly a thousand calls from service members who have been impacted by ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’ We have documented that most are being asked point blank about their sexual orientation in contravention of ‘Don’t Ask.’”

“That’s not supposed to happen,” he said.

That was our first conversation. We might have been able to better enforce some of the meager gains under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” if we had been able to prevail upon Powell to help us, but he wasn’t ready.

In 2003, he told Teen Ink magazine that while discrimination is wrong, “I think it’s a different matter with respect to the military, because you’re essentially told who you’re going to live with, who you’re going to sleep next to.”

Four years later, he called me, prompted by an opinion essay in The New York Times that I had sent him. “Second Thoughts on Gays in the Military”—written by retired Army General John Shalikashvili, Powell’s successor as chairman of the Joint Chiefs—called for repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” Powell and I spoke for 45 minutes. “I agree with General Shalikashvili that America has changed and is ready for gays to serve openly,” he said. My heart leapt. “I am not convinced, however, that military commanders are ready for that change.” My heart sunk.

It was clear to me, though, that he was moving in the right direction.  I put it on the line. “Sir, you will be a critical voice on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ when it comes up for debate again. I need you to support repeal if we are going to win. Do you know that?”

“Yes,” he said.

Finally, on Feb. 5, 2010, 10 months before final repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and days after Admiral Mike Mullen had testified before the Senate that he supported repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” Powell released a statement. “If the chiefs and commanders are comfortable with moving to change the policy, then I support it. Attitudes and circumstances have changed. Society is reflected in the military. It’s where we get our soldiers from.” The stage was set for final repeal.

We too often look for heroes and villains when the record can be complicated. Powell deserves opprobrium for defying Clinton, rallying opposition, and allowing 60,000 troops under his command to suffer the indignity of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” He deserves credit, though, for changing his mind. I admired his willingness to speak with me over nearly two decades. I find that the best leaders engage in a lifelong process of learning and challenging assumptions. Powell will receive deserved accolades for his service to our nation, but for us, his legacy includes a profound betrayal with a final act of redemption.

C. Dixon Osburn is author of ‘Mission Possible: The Story of Repealing ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’’

Opinions

‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ repeal serves as a guide for enacting equality legislation

Equality Act supporters should take cues from Senate moderates

Equality legislation is close to passing in Congress, but close isn’t good enough. “Close” won’t change anything for the LGBTQ Americans who face discrimination every day. Senate Democrats and Republicans must make a push to negotiate. With a reach on both sides to find common ground, we can move equality legislation from “close” to “done deal.”

Some Democrats are waiting for the filibuster to end—despite clear evidence that they lack the votes to end it. Some Republicans are practicing a tried-and-true brand of obstructionism. To break this deadlock, we should look to the successful, bipartisan repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) as a guide.

The DADT repeal is the single reference point for LGBTQ advocates for overcoming the Senate filibuster. Other victories have been in the courts; notably, the Supreme Court’s 2015 Obergefell decision that made gay marriage legal nationwide.

Before Obergefell, advocates had success in the state legislatures. I worked on campaigns for the freedom to marry in Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York and elsewhere, finding common ground between Democrats and Republicans who thought it was impossible to negotiate on marriage. Eventually, enough people from both parties came together to pass marriage laws in a majority of states.

Working together at the state level is one thing. Congress is another.

Despite Democrats’ control of the White House, Senate and House, negotiations are failing at the federal level. So, we lets look to ancient history—the 2010 repeal of DADT—for guidance on reaching 60 votes in the Senate.

The most important lesson from the DADT repeal is that Senate moderates must champion the cause and lead negotiations. The more partisan figures on both sides need to step back. Overcoming the filibuster is a job for moderates, not ideologues.

As it happens, the hero of the DADT repeal is still a senator and can help. Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine led the negotiations on DADT repeal.

Senator Collins supports the Equality Act in principle and even sponsored a version of the bill in past. However, the current version is too extreme for Sen. Collins, as a result, she has withdrawn as a co-sponsor. The current bill has also foundered with Sen. Lisa Murkowski, another important figure in the repeal of DADT.

The fact that moderate, pro-LGBTQ senators are unable to back the current version of the Equality Act should send a clear message to Democrats that we need to make reasonable changes to the bill. So far, the message is being ignored.

On the Democratic side, independent Sen. Joe Lieberman was essential to the repeal of DADT. There certainly were passionate, liberal Democrats who could have asserted themselves during the debate. But then, the bill would have taken longer to pass, or even might have failed.

The lesson is clear. Listen to the moderates. Let them lead this charge.

Another important lesson from the repeal of DADT is to be flexible in the legislative strategy. DADT repeal was originally an amendment to a large defense authorization bill. Rather than give up, Collins and Lieberman fought and saved DADT repeal from defeat by pulling out key provisions they knew could pass on their own and making them a standalone measure. Repeal passed with bipartisan support.

The current version of the Equality Act tries to do too much. That’s why it can’t win support from moderate Republicans who have legitimate concerns the bill might suppress free speech or shut down religious charities.

Over 60 senators can agree on the basic premise of the Equality Act. They would gladly vote to prohibit discrimination against LGBTQ Americans in employment, housing, and public accommodations, so long as the law didn’t intrude on the First Amendment.

If the far left believes that our country has too much religious liberty, they can deal with that in future legislation. But so long as we have a filibuster—and, there’s no indication it will end any time soon—the Equality Act needs to reflect our society’s current views on religious liberty.

The DADT repeal passed with 65 votes in the Senate, overcoming the filibuster. Let’s replicate that victory by using the same playbook. Moderates: Take the lead.

Tyler Deaton is the senior advisor to the American Unity Fund, a conservative nonprofit organization working to advance LGBTQ freedom and religious freedom