Opinions

Roem for Va. House of Delegates

An impressive candidate committed to constituent service

Danica Roem, gay news, Washington Blade

Danica Roem (Photo courtesy of Danica Roem)

There is an important race for state delegate in Virginia’s District 13. It pits Republican Bob Marshall, a bigoted, homophobic longtime delegate, against a Democrat who is an intelligent young woman who happens to be transgender. Danica Roem is an impressive candidate with a comprehensive and impressive knowledge of her District, Virginia government, and a commitment to the people she grew up with and hopes to serve. While Danica has her work cut out for her to defeat Marshall it is fair to say not only Virginia but the country will be better off if she does.

A Mother Jones column by Ashley Dejean described Marshall this way, “Marshall, a delegate since 1992, was the author of the amendment that enshrined discrimination into the state’s constitution in 2006, by defining marriage as being between one man and one woman. And when he ran, unsuccessfully, for US Congress in 2014, he was described by the Atlantic as “basically the culture war’s four-star general”—a profile he continues to live up to. In January, he introduced what LGBT advocates described as one of the most dangerous bathroom bills in the country.” It turns out the proposal crossed a line even for the very right leaning Virginia Republicans and they killed the bill.

It is not only the LGBT community Marshall has insulted and hurt with his legislative initiatives and comments. In the same Atlantic column there was a compilation of some of the most outrageous things Marshall has said. “According to an interview in the Washington Times, he regrets none of his comments. Those comments include remarks on disabled children (they can be God’s punishment to women who have had abortions), incest (sometimes, it’s “voluntary”), and the Supreme Court (Justice Kennedy is probably “a homosexual”). When asked about those controversial remarks, the candidate said, “I don’t care. I mean, if I say something in public, I say it in public.”

It’s the voters in the 13th District who have the chance to put an end to Marshall’s hate-filled political career. Many Republicans in Prince William County and Manassas Park who Marshall represents are saying privately they are embarrassed by what he says and does. This year they have the opportunity to prove with their votes they are ready for change. They can show Prince William County and Manassas Park have grown and no longer will allow Marshall and the hate he spews to represent them.

Roem, the Democrat, is a lifelong resident of Prince William County. She knows the local issues backwards and forwards having written about them as a reporter for the Prince William Times for nine years. She understands one of the major issues for the county is transportation having reported on all the issues from I-66 to routes 15,28,29,55, and 234 as well as the Bi-County Parkway.

Wherever she campaigns she repeats her commitment to focus on finally getting Route 28 fixed. She also understands what it would mean to Manassas if the VRE is extended; if downtown office space in Manassas Park would be rented and Innovation Park built up. These are all issues Marshall hasn’t bothered to deal with.

Danica is a stepmom and both understands and is passionate about education issues. She supports higher pay for teachers because she wants every child to have a qualified, caring teacher in their classroom and knows to make that happen Virginia must be able to attract those teachers and then keep them in the state and the classrooms of Prince William County.

Danica is transgender but that isn’t the reason most of her supporters are working hard to elect her. Being transgender is a part of her life that has made her more open to all people. It has given her more of an insight than some of us may have into how people who others may see as ‘different’ must cope and relate to their community. That knowledge has made her a stronger person. She is a strong supporter of the Dream Act, civil rights, disability rights, LGBTQ+ equality, women’s rights and economic equality. She understands what it would mean to guarantee workers a livable minimum wage and affordable and accessible healthcare.

Danica Roem is the real thing. A strong, intelligent woman who will fight for the residents and families of Prince William County. She is committed to making a difference for the people she grew up with and to making Prince William County an even more vibrant and growing community known as a place welcoming to all.

Peter Rosenstein is a longtime LGBT rights and Democratic Party activist. He writes regularly for the Blade.

1. Mark Hatchett

November 2, 2017 at 12:58 pm

No. No way. Never.

• ElectricFire

November 4, 2017 at 2:31 am

Why?

• Mark Hatchett

November 4, 2017 at 6:03 am

He is a Democrat.

• ElectricFire

November 4, 2017 at 4:03 pm

So what if she is a Democrat? Political parties don’t mean anything. Donald Trump claims to be a Republican and has proceeded to go against everything that Republicans stood for. Vote for the person, not the party.

• Mark Hatchett

November 4, 2017 at 4:15 pm

He is a Democrat hack spouting tired old Democrat talking points and Democrats are now anathema to patriotic Virginians. Now tell me exactly what Republican things has President Trump gone against?

• ElectricFire

November 4, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Free trade was kind of a big one. He’s opposed NAFTA and TPP from the beginning; those are both Republican ideas. His immigration policy isn’t conservative. Raging against free speech. Cozying up to Russia. Attacking the special counsel. Having a strong foreign policy. Trump is not a conservative.

• Mark Hatchett

November 4, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Actually giving up failed policies like NAFTA, TPP and the Paris Accord is why President Trump was elected. Enforcing existing immigration law and doing away with Obama’s EO’s seems very good. Raging against free speech? You must totally misunderstand the First Amendment. Cozying up to Russia you mean like the Clintons? And Mueller’s connection with Uranium One means he’s toast.

• ElectricFire

November 4, 2017 at 9:15 pm

NAFTA and TPP were good ideas, as was Paris. NAFTA has already been a proven success, TPP would have been another one and Paris would have helped create jobs. If you think NAFTA and TPP were failed policies, you should probably go join the Democrats.

• Mark Hatchett

November 4, 2017 at 10:45 pm

NAFTA a proven success? HAHAHAHAHAHA! You need to visit southside Virginia and the piedmont of North Carolina and see all the abandoned textile and furniture factories in town after town after town! Go to Martinsville VA and Rockingham County NC and ask those folks about NAFTA!

• ElectricFire

November 5, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Yes, NAFTA is a proven success. Those factory jobs disappeared because of automation. Blaming NAFTA only shows how clueless Donald Trump is on how trade and jobs work.

• Mark Hatchett

November 6, 2017 at 5:57 am

Automation? Nonsense! Yarn, clothing, case goods and upholstered furniture are still produced by the very same methods just with much cheaper even slave labor in other countries. Let’s compare President Trump’s assets and bank balance with yours.

• ElectricFire

November 6, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Yeah, I could have billions too if I inherited it and got assistance from the state of New York. That’s a stupid comparison.

• Mark Hatchett

November 6, 2017 at 3:13 pm

So where did Bill and Hillary Clinton get all their millions? Both were on government payrolls their entire adult lives! The only thing stupid is you thinking President Trump is clueless!

• ElectricFire

November 6, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Trump’s proven he’s clueless many times. And who cares about Bill and Hillary here? Their situation doesn’t change the fact that Trump only got where he is because his grandmother and father did all the work for him.

Marco Rubio was right: if Trump didn’t win the genetic lottery, he’d be selling hot dogs in Manhattan.

• ElectricFire

November 4, 2017 at 9:17 pm

As far as the rest of your drivel, a wall is nonsensical, I know the First Amendment like the back of my hand, Trump is the one who’s had connections to Russia and Uranium One is a proven non-story that has been debunked over and over. The fact that Trump is pulling out Uranium One means he’s getting desperate.

• ElectricFire

November 4, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Also, have you even listened to Ms. Roem’s talking points? She’s been talking about traffic and jobs. How are those Democrat talking points? Do Republicans not sit in traffic?

2. Count Dracula

November 3, 2017 at 8:55 am

There’s no such thing as a woman with a penis.

3. LesbianTippingHabits

November 3, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Let’s just hope that everyone complaining about how things never change – and is registered to vote in that district – actually shows up to vote.

Football player Colin Kaepernick suppressed his own vote, no Republicans needed.

Your vote is your voice. Thank you.

Opinions

Blogging my first overseas vacation since COVID

Chronicling life aboard Celebrity APEX

I will be blogging a number of times during my two-week transatlantic cruise and sharing my thoughts and experiences.

The first thing I found is boarding during a pandemic is a little different. People were given specific boarding times yet most arrived at the port when it was convenient for them as many had early check-out times from their hotel or Airbnb in Barcelona. Celebrity didn’t turn anyone away. There was no Wi-fi at the entrance to the terminal so things got a little complicated as many had the information needed on their iPhone Celebrity app. It worked out and when you got inside to the counter they shared a Wi-fi connection.

I knew in advance from a Facebook connection, some childhood friends whom I hadn’t seen in 21 years were going to be onboard. We ended up arriving at the terminal at the same time and caught up for the next hour and a half as we progressed through the boarding process. We all had to take a Covid test and only those with negative results could board. Of the approximately 1,300 people boarding, less than half the possible number for a full ship, I didn’t hear of anyone getting a positive result.

When my negative result came back I was allowed to board and went to find my stateroom on deck 11. The key was at the door with all my information on it. Celebrity was doing everything to limit crew-to-passenger contact. We were asked to keep masks on in all indoor spaces except when eating or drinking, which on a cruise is often, and the crew are all wearing masks. Luggage was delivered to the door.

Shortly after entering my beautiful stateroom there was a knock at the door and my stateroom attendant, Lenie, had come to introduce herself. She didn’t come in but explained how I could reach her anytime and for safety she would only come into the room when I was out. We chatted for a few minutes and I found out she was from the Philippines, had three children, and had worked for Celebrity for 20 years. She was both charming and efficient.

I then took a walk around the ship and was duly impressed. It is beautiful. I walked through the huge buffet where people were happily eating lunch and saw instead of serving yourself there were servers behind each station filling people’s plates. All passengers had on their masks when getting food, as did the crew serving them. It made for a very safe feeling.

Instead of a group muster each passenger was asked to go to their assigned muster station where you were met by staff who explained emergency procedures. You also had to look at a video on the Celebrity app and were then logged in and confirmed you had done so. All efficiently and safely done.

Then I headed to the sail-away party my travel agent, and friends, Scott Moster and his husband Dustin, were hosting in the Iconic suite. The suite has everything from a peloton cycle to a hot tub for eight. It is incredible. I had the chance to catch up with old friends I had sailed with before the pandemic. Then it was a quick tour of the spa and gym open twenty-four hours a day. A way to assuage guilt over all the food and drink. Then back to the stateroom to finish unpacking and change for dinner with good friends in one of the specialty restaurants, EDEN. That meant long pants and a shirt with a collar. That’s as formal as required on this cruise.

The food was superb and we got to meet the chef, Nicholas. An interesting guy who I will interview during the cruise. The menu was a combination of fresh fish, lobster, to filet mignon, all interestingly prepared.

After dinner it was a stop at the Martini bar where a large group of LGBTQ friends had gathered along with some who would become friends. I was surprised when a guy came over and gave me a hug. I didn’t recognize him with his mask on but turned out he was another friend from my past I hadn’t seen in years. It is clearly a small world and the gay world seems even smaller.

Finally headed to my stateroom around midnight, where turndown service had been done, to get some sleep and prepare for day two, and our first stop, Alicante.

Day two and three on the Celebrity APEX

Time flies when on a cruise; maybe it’s the endless food and drink. All passengers received a letter in their room telling us we would need to report for a Covid test on day 5 the first at-sea day before we get to the Canary Islands. I pre-scheduled mine just before what I planned as my first hour at the gym. I expect to go to the gym on all sea days and there will be eight of those.

Each morning I have had coffee, a bagel and orange juice delivered to the stateroom.  I always miss that knock on the door each morning when I am home but then I would miss my daily coffee at Java House so I guess it’s OK.

On day two we stopped at our first port, Alicante, on Spain’s Costa Blanca. I was truly surprised at how beautiful the city is. I joined friends for what turned out to be a three and a half hour walk as we were allowed off the ship on our own without booking a tour. We visited churches and the main market in town. We strolled along the beach and the harbor with great walking and bicycle paths. Alicante is a wonderful mix of old-world charm and modern amenities. One friend ventured up to the castle, Castillo de Santa Barbara, but since the elevator (the easy way up) wasn’t working and it’s a very long, steep climb up the mountain I passed. We arrived back at the ship around 1 p.m. and headed to the Mast bar on deck 14 for burgers and fries. Then some time back in the stateroom before heading to the martini bar for a drink and then to the beautiful APEX theater to see the Shamrock Tenors, four Irish performers who are not only talented but cute to boot.

We decided to try one of the regular restaurants, those not needing reservations and chose Normandy. The food was good and I had shrimp cocktail, rigatoni, and cherries jubilee for dessert.

After dinner it was up to the Rooftop Garden for ‘Silent Disco’. That is where you get a set of headphones with a few channels of disco music, and you dance to the music only you can hear. It’s really fun but by 11:30 my knees gave out and it was off to bed.

Day three dawned nice and sunny and we were docked in Cartagena, located in the autonomous of the region of Murcia. I had an 8:45 excursion and again had breakfast delivered to the room. We were instructed to head to the theater to meet the tour group and sign in for our ‘Journey to Murcia’. Murcia is a city in south-eastern Spain, the capital and most populous city of the Autonomous Community of the Region of Murcia, and the seventh largest city in the country, with a population of 447,182. It is about a forty-minute drive from the port. It is a fascinating city with an incredible history from the Romans to and Moorish influence. There is a beautiful cathedral, isn’t there one in every Spanish city? This being a national holiday in Spain most of the shops were closed saving some on the tour a lot of money. We strolled around the city with our guide giving us a running commentary on its history for about an hour and a half. She was a little hard to understand because not only did she have a heavy accent but she spoke really fast. But it was still fun and we did learn a lot. We made a second stop outside the city at another church where a wedding was being officiated. The bride was beautiful. Then we headed back to the ship for an early departure. Our tour was the last onboard and we sailed not more than thirty minutes after we got there.

Then it was off to the captain’s reception. I had the chance to chat a few moments with the Captain Panagiotis Skylogiannis, who is as charming as are most Greek men. We also met the rest of the senior crew who run the ship. Many said they would be more than happy to sit and get a cup of coffee with me during our at-sea days so I can interview and write about them.

Then it was back to my stateroom again to prepare for another tough night of food and drinking. We went to see Andrew Derbyshire in the theater for the 7:30 show and then to dinner at Cyprus.   After dinner Celebrity hosted the first LGBTQ+ event of the cruise at the EDEN bar. A large crowd showed up, not all gay but they all knew where the fun people would be. The entertainers all showed up there as including the Shamrock Tenors, four talented Irish guys and Andrew Derbyshire, a British actor and singer. We chatted and I will meet him for coffee to do a column on him.

Then about midnight it was back to the stateroom for what some of my friends on board called an early night. Morning would have us docking in Cadiz and we had a private tour planned for over 20 of the people who had booked the trip with Scott Moster, travel agent extraordinaire, taking us to the city of Seville.

Peter Rosenstein is a longtime LGBTQ rights and Democratic Party activist. He writes regularly for the Blade.

Opinions

‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ clouds Powell’s legacy

A final act of redemption

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell (Photo by Susan Montgomery via Bigstock)

The legacy of General Colin Powell is complicated for those in the LGBTQ community. On the one hand, we celebrate that Powell was the first African-American chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of State. On the other, he is also the person who disobeyed the strategic choice of his Commander in Chief, Bill Clinton, on gays in the military.

Powell stood on the steps of the Pentagon reporting how many calls had been received opposing lifting the ban. He testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee that the service of openly gay troops would harm unit cohesion. He argued that race was a “benign characteristic” and being gay was not. Congress codified into statute what had been a regulatory ban on gays in the military, making the law that much harder to change. Almost 14,000 lesbian, gay and bisexual service members were dismissed under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” a rate of two-four service members every day. Some were subjects of witch hunts. Others faced criminal charges. Many endured harassment, assault and threats. Private First Class Barry Winchell was murdered.

Michelle Benecke and I knew when we founded Servicemembers Legal Defense Network that for “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to be repealed, we would have to either win the support or neutralize the opposition of Powell, one of the previously undisclosed strategies described in my new book, “Mission Possible.” Michelle and I first met him at the Arlington, Va., headquarters of America’s Promise. We offered to brief him on the ban’s implementation as he was being asked on the Sunday shows about the law’s efficacy. He agreed to see us.

The question was whether we could find common ground on which to build a new consensus. My theory was that Powell genuinely believed that “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” was a better policy than the one before it. After all, he had testified before the Senate, “We will not ask, we will not witch-hunt, we will not seek to learn orientation.”

“General Powell,” I said, “we have received nearly a thousand calls from service members who have been impacted by ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’ We have documented that most are being asked point blank about their sexual orientation in contravention of ‘Don’t Ask.’”

“That’s not supposed to happen,” he said.

That was our first conversation. We might have been able to better enforce some of the meager gains under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” if we had been able to prevail upon Powell to help us, but he wasn’t ready.

In 2003, he told Teen Ink magazine that while discrimination is wrong, “I think it’s a different matter with respect to the military, because you’re essentially told who you’re going to live with, who you’re going to sleep next to.”

Four years later, he called me, prompted by an opinion essay in The New York Times that I had sent him. “Second Thoughts on Gays in the Military”—written by retired Army General John Shalikashvili, Powell’s successor as chairman of the Joint Chiefs—called for repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” Powell and I spoke for 45 minutes. “I agree with General Shalikashvili that America has changed and is ready for gays to serve openly,” he said. My heart leapt. “I am not convinced, however, that military commanders are ready for that change.” My heart sunk.

It was clear to me, though, that he was moving in the right direction.  I put it on the line. “Sir, you will be a critical voice on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ when it comes up for debate again. I need you to support repeal if we are going to win. Do you know that?”

“Yes,” he said.

Finally, on Feb. 5, 2010, 10 months before final repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and days after Admiral Mike Mullen had testified before the Senate that he supported repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” Powell released a statement. “If the chiefs and commanders are comfortable with moving to change the policy, then I support it. Attitudes and circumstances have changed. Society is reflected in the military. It’s where we get our soldiers from.” The stage was set for final repeal.

We too often look for heroes and villains when the record can be complicated. Powell deserves opprobrium for defying Clinton, rallying opposition, and allowing 60,000 troops under his command to suffer the indignity of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” He deserves credit, though, for changing his mind. I admired his willingness to speak with me over nearly two decades. I find that the best leaders engage in a lifelong process of learning and challenging assumptions. Powell will receive deserved accolades for his service to our nation, but for us, his legacy includes a profound betrayal with a final act of redemption.

C. Dixon Osburn is author of ‘Mission Possible: The Story of Repealing ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’’

Opinions

‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ repeal serves as a guide for enacting equality legislation

Equality Act supporters should take cues from Senate moderates

Equality legislation is close to passing in Congress, but close isn’t good enough. “Close” won’t change anything for the LGBTQ Americans who face discrimination every day. Senate Democrats and Republicans must make a push to negotiate. With a reach on both sides to find common ground, we can move equality legislation from “close” to “done deal.”

Some Democrats are waiting for the filibuster to end—despite clear evidence that they lack the votes to end it. Some Republicans are practicing a tried-and-true brand of obstructionism. To break this deadlock, we should look to the successful, bipartisan repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) as a guide.

The DADT repeal is the single reference point for LGBTQ advocates for overcoming the Senate filibuster. Other victories have been in the courts; notably, the Supreme Court’s 2015 Obergefell decision that made gay marriage legal nationwide.

Before Obergefell, advocates had success in the state legislatures. I worked on campaigns for the freedom to marry in Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York and elsewhere, finding common ground between Democrats and Republicans who thought it was impossible to negotiate on marriage. Eventually, enough people from both parties came together to pass marriage laws in a majority of states.

Working together at the state level is one thing. Congress is another.

Despite Democrats’ control of the White House, Senate and House, negotiations are failing at the federal level. So, we lets look to ancient history—the 2010 repeal of DADT—for guidance on reaching 60 votes in the Senate.

The most important lesson from the DADT repeal is that Senate moderates must champion the cause and lead negotiations. The more partisan figures on both sides need to step back. Overcoming the filibuster is a job for moderates, not ideologues.

As it happens, the hero of the DADT repeal is still a senator and can help. Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine led the negotiations on DADT repeal.

Senator Collins supports the Equality Act in principle and even sponsored a version of the bill in past. However, the current version is too extreme for Sen. Collins, as a result, she has withdrawn as a co-sponsor. The current bill has also foundered with Sen. Lisa Murkowski, another important figure in the repeal of DADT.

The fact that moderate, pro-LGBTQ senators are unable to back the current version of the Equality Act should send a clear message to Democrats that we need to make reasonable changes to the bill. So far, the message is being ignored.

On the Democratic side, independent Sen. Joe Lieberman was essential to the repeal of DADT. There certainly were passionate, liberal Democrats who could have asserted themselves during the debate. But then, the bill would have taken longer to pass, or even might have failed.

The lesson is clear. Listen to the moderates. Let them lead this charge.

Another important lesson from the repeal of DADT is to be flexible in the legislative strategy. DADT repeal was originally an amendment to a large defense authorization bill. Rather than give up, Collins and Lieberman fought and saved DADT repeal from defeat by pulling out key provisions they knew could pass on their own and making them a standalone measure. Repeal passed with bipartisan support.

The current version of the Equality Act tries to do too much. That’s why it can’t win support from moderate Republicans who have legitimate concerns the bill might suppress free speech or shut down religious charities.

Over 60 senators can agree on the basic premise of the Equality Act. They would gladly vote to prohibit discrimination against LGBTQ Americans in employment, housing, and public accommodations, so long as the law didn’t intrude on the First Amendment.

If the far left believes that our country has too much religious liberty, they can deal with that in future legislation. But so long as we have a filibuster—and, there’s no indication it will end any time soon—the Equality Act needs to reflect our society’s current views on religious liberty.

The DADT repeal passed with 65 votes in the Senate, overcoming the filibuster. Let’s replicate that victory by using the same playbook. Moderates: Take the lead.

Tyler Deaton is the senior advisor to the American Unity Fund, a conservative nonprofit organization working to advance LGBTQ freedom and religious freedom